Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Trump's popularity is tanking quite hard now:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1276117986449948674

Texas has just announced that it's effectively going back into lockdown. Florida probably not far behind - whether they take action or not we'll have to see.

Watch as a load of democratic voters don't bother registering now, or ensuring they're registered because Biden is doing so well in the polls. Leading to it all making no ****ing difference particularly with the bull**** that goes on over there with voter supression, gerrymandering and potential hacking of voting machines.

Watch as a load of democratic voters don't bother registering now, or ensuring they're registered because Biden is doing so well in the polls. Leading to it all making no ****ing difference particularly with the bull**** that goes on over there with voter supression, gerrymandering and potential hacking of voting machines.

Anything can happen but Biden's first tweet after this polling came out was telling people to go and vote.

I also think people either support Trump no matter what now or they utterly despise him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭clsmooth

stephen_n wrote: »
    My daughter did before heading to Korea to teach. Seems to be a reasonable amount of work both here and abroad once you complete it. I could check with her which one she used.

Cheers man, that’d be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Liverpool are league champions.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Clegg wrote: »
    Liverpool are league champions.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is.ruined.

Currently trying to get to sleep for a 6am start with the window wide open because it's 24 ****ing degrees at 10.30pm with what sounds like scenes from mad Max going on outside

• Advertisement

Reading the NYtimes this morning is a bit depressing.

I don't understand how we all watched hospitals in Italy get over run, and yet Texas is starting to now go through the same thing with ICU bed requirements over run in a number of hospitals. This pushes the mortality rate for covid up into a higher percentage bracket and they are letting it happen.

I imagine we're days away from seeing the same or much worse in Florida and for some reason they've now politicised the wearing of masks and turned it into a statement of defiance.

• Administrators Posts: 53,733 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The thunder and lightning in Wicklow last night was incredible. Never seen anything like it.

Strikes detected just a few hundred metres away, swear one of them was so loud it genuinely sounded like a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,761 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    The thunder and lightning in Wicklow last night was incredible. Never seen anything like it.

Strikes detected just a few hundred metres away, swear one of them was so loud it genuinely sounded like a bomb.

Yeah it was unreal. Don't ever remember hearing anything like it before.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,487 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I don't understand how we all watched hospitals in Italy get over run, and yet Texas is starting to now go through the same thing with ICU bed requirements over run in a number of hospitals. This pushes the mortality rate for covid up into a higher percentage bracket and they are letting it happen.

I imagine we're days away from seeing the same or much worse in Florida and for some reason they've now politicised the wearing of masks and turned it into a statement of defiance.

Because we're seeing the "federality" of the United States being tested to its core.

They have a president as federal leader who is doing everything but leading. He questions the science, he questions the stats, he lies about outcomes and he actively encourages defiance. He then "takes no responsibility at all" for how each state acts in response.

This leaves the state governors to clean up the mess with no overarching guidance from the federal government. This leaves different states to have different levels of response. People in the state with the more sever action as looking at their neighbours asking why are we being punished. Division and resentment is rife. No leadership, no clear plan of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,234 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think it really hit where I am properly and it barely rained but I could hear these incredible booms of thunder between 4am and 5am.

Usually this sort of thing breaks the heat and humid weather but I see it just picked up where it left off this morning.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    I don't think it really hit where I am properly and it barely rained but I could hear these incredible booms of thunder between 4am and 5am.

Usually this sort of thing breaks the heat and humid weather but I see it just picked up where it left off this morning.

Its even worse out here than it was before the thunderstorm. Muggy as hell. The room we use for the office gets the sun directly into it early in the morning so its not a pleasant place to be right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Remember being on holidays in the Alps years ago and there was a huge thunder and lightning storm one night. With the echoes from the mountains it was deafening. Herself was in tears along with kids roaring. She was convinced it was the Haldron Collider and the end of the world was happening. I genuinely was shìtting it myself.
    Last night wasn't particularly loud over our way. Woke me about 4.30 but I'm not sure if it was the thunder or her snoring tbh.

mfceiling wrote: »
    She was convinced it was the Haldron Collider

I've spent a good part of the last 4 minutes laughing at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Anyone see this video of Stephen's Green yesterday? Not sure we get to look down on the Brits anymore.

https://v.redd.it/1663f3gbp3751

DGRulz wrote: »
    Anyone see this video of Stephen's Green yesterday? Not sure we get to look down on the Brits anymore.

https://v.redd.it/1663f3gbp3751

ah i dunno..... thats a group of about 100 dancing around a speaker... as the camera pans across you can see the crowd is much more dispersed.

its not this:

https://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.4288721.1593109510!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620_330/image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I was caught in a storm when in Croatia on holidays years ago, got to shelter but there was a strike literally right outside the big veranda we were sheltering in and it was one of the loudest things I'd ever heard. Massive boom and the ears were ringing for a good 10 mins after

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

mfceiling wrote: »
    Remember being on holidays in the Alps years ago and there was a huge thunder and lightning storm one night. With the echoes from the mountains it was deafening. Herself was in tears along with kids roaring. She was convinced it was the Haldron Collider and the end of the world was happening. I genuinely was shìtting it myself.
    Last night wasn't particularly loud over our way. Woke me about 4.30 but I'm not sure if it was the thunder or her snoring tbh.

Pffft, sounds like a normal Tuesday for me.

I love thunderstorms though their habit of hitting just as I'm trying to leave work is irritating. Had basically none so far this year mind.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why does weather.com tell me it's 15 degrees and pissing rain in Ireland?

Why does weather.com tell me it's 15 degrees and pissing rain in Ireland?

I'm sure it's pissing rain in multiple places.

Clouded over a bit in the past hour in Dublin. Hazy now but still warm. 21C apparently.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ah i dunno..... thats a group of about 100 dancing around a speaker... as the camera pans across you can see the crowd is much more dispersed.

its not this:

https://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.4288721.1593109510!/image/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_620_330/image.jpg

It's still a load of bollocks. 100 people dancing are grand but if 5 more show up every one of them is a homicidal maniac.

COVID has really brought out the preachy, judgey side in so many people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I’m very skeptical of polls this early but this is mad and the trends very encouraging

https://twitter.com/beauwillimon/status/1276328837085872129

Seems like Biden’s best campaigner is sitting in the White House

Wasn't Texas a Democrat stronghold until the 70s or something?

It's simply incredible that there's only a 1% margin in a state of 29 million after the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »

Possibly, but Hilary was in the low 40s there 4 years ago so it being in play shows how quickly things are sliding

In a Fox Poll!

It's simply incredible that there's only a 1% margin in a state of 29 million after the last 4 years.

Policy is more important than the man representing it to many

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If you're pro-life, pro-gun, anti-immigrant, anti-trade deals, Trump is probably the best president you've ever had.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

molloyjh wrote: »

Democrat strongholds were all in the south until the passing of the Civil Rights Act essentially. Republicans were the anti-slavery party (very) back in the day. Map completely flipped on its head after the 60s though pretty much everywhere was open to flipping in a landslide election til the 80s but those days seem over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

This is a chilling, amusing, horrifying watch

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisNews/videos/979892902429199/

jacothelad wrote: »

Darwins law not working quick enough these bottom feeders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Darwins law not working quick enough these bottom feeders.

Florida seems to a big proportion of these for their population.

Google your birthday and Florida man and you'll see what I mean.

Advertisement