Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

dregin wrote: »
    That is class. Any idea what the actual issue is they're facing because of brexit?
    They don't live in France, but have a holiday home there that they want to retire to in five years. Unfortunately at the end of this year, they can't do that as they are not currently resident and won't have residency rights. So the best they can do is three months there every six months, which kind of negates the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

prawnsambo wrote: »
    They don't live in France, but have a holiday home there that they want to retire to in five years. Unfortunately at the end of this year, they can't do that as they are not currently resident and won't have residency rights. So the best they can do is three months there every six months, which kind of negates the purpose.

I'd say the bigger issue is health coverage.

Permanent residence would be obtainable if they can show financial independence, and I'm guessing they'd have pension income to qualify for this. But they'd also need private health coverage since the EU quid-pro-quo state health coverage (E111?) no longer covers them.

At their age, you'd be looking at a fairly hefty cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Neil3030 wrote: »

Permanent residence would be obtainable if they can show financial independence, and I'm guessing they'd have pension income to qualify for this. But they'd also need private health coverage since the EU quid-pro-quo state health coverage (E111?) no longer covers them.

They probably couldn't afford the risk though. They'd have to maintain two homes for the next five years and possibly for some time thereafter while they try to get residency. Probably not manageable on a pension. Along with the health insurance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Neil3030 wrote: »

They would have to get a visa to live there. Unlikely I’d say. I doubt it’s true though reading recent updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,234 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They would have to get a visa to live there. Unlikely I’d say. I doubt it’s true though reading recent updates!

It was very likely to be fake yesterday and now it has jumped the shark both in entertainment and any possibility of being true.

It's now like a Ross O'Carroll Kelly story except the writer of this is trying to maintain it's genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Aren't long stay visas in France equivalent to residency permits?

Buer wrote: »
    It was very likely to be fake yesterday and now it has jumped the shark both in entertainment and any possibility of being true.

It's now like a Ross O'Carroll Kelly story except the writer of this is trying to maintain it's genuine.

It’s gone so over the top that I’m actually hoping it’ll come back full circle and there’ll be some evidence to prove it or else this lad is some sort of delusional maniac

It’s gone so over the top that I’m actually hoping it’ll come back full circle and there’ll be some evidence to prove it or else this lad is some sort of delusional maniac

Had a quick scan through his Twitter when the story became rather dubious. He's either completely full of sh*t or has led an exceptional life to date. Some points about him from the last few days of posts:

- Lives in an idyllic area of France and is well known, liked and involved with pretty much the entire local community
    - Owns multiple vehicles
    - Spends a chunk of his year travelling
    - Is former military
    - Is an author and historian
    - Uses a stock photo rather than his own image and a fake name
    - Despite the above has managed to tweet 2,000 times in the 2 months he has been on Twitter.
    - Is extremely anti-Brexit since his joining of Twitter but has coincidentally been directly involved/engaged by an aggressively stupid and ignorant Brexit family in their battle against the EU

Yeah, I'm gonna stick with fake with a pretty high level of probability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Had a quick scan through his Twitter when the story became rather dubious. He's either completely full of sh*t or has led an exceptional life to date. Some points about him from the last few days of posts:

- Lives in an idyllic area of France and is well known, liked and involved with pretty much the entire local community
    - Owns multiple vehicles
    - Is former military
    - Despite the above has managed to tweet 2,000 times in the 2 months he has been on Twitter.
    - Is extremely anti-Brexit since his joining of Twitter but has coincidentally been directly involved/engaged by an aggressively stupid and ignorant Brexit family in their battle against the EU

Shut up Buer! Stop trying to ruin our entertainment.

I think Buer is fake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

GoMo are tricksters. €12.99 pm but you have to pay a €12.99 activation fee on top of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Must be a new thing. There was no activation fee for me last year, and it's only 9.99.

Must be a new thing. There was no activation fee for me last year, and it's only 9.99.

I knew it had increased to 12.99 but throwing on an activation fee doesn't really marry with the monthly rollover of SIM only deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I knew it had increased to 12.99 but throwing on an activation fee doesn't really marry with the monthly rollover of SIM only deals.

I got on at 9.99 so I am in a different boat. But to be fair, you absolutely cannot beat it for value (unless you roam a fair bit).

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Shut up Buer! Stop trying to ruin our entertainment.

Oh you just want it to be true so you can pretend it's possible for yourself. Like some Kiwi bloke living in France or Switzerland, marrying a local and spending their days watching rugby and online.

You'd probably call yourself something like Sweah_Right.

Ridiculous notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

- Owns multiple vehicles
    - Is former military

The account is gone now. Some suggestions that there was attempted hacking on the account. Other suggestions that the author was being doxxed. Whatever happened it's a shame because real or fake I was quite enjoying the story and interested to see where it went

b.gud wrote: »
    The account is gone now. Some suggestions that there was attempted hacking on the account. Other suggestions that the author was being doxxed. Whatever happened it's a shame because real or fake I was quite enjoying the story and interested to see where it went

Shame. It was entertaining but less so in the last day where it just became ridiculous i.e. his Eurostar being cancelled (I don't believe any Eurostar was cancelled this morning), losing his shoes, being attacked by a homeless man's dog and the author then phoned by the police.

I would imagine he made it all up, was in over his head and gained a huge amount of attention including some unwanted which resulted in him abandoning ship. No doubt people were working to track down his actual real location etc. and someone managed to do so which would scare me into shutting down my account too.

b.gud wrote: »
    The account is gone now.

Thanks Buer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I am actually sort of sick of the brit bashing in Ireland meme culture.

It seems large swathes of the Irish online are absolutely obsessed with Britain.

Aside from this fake twitter thread I've seen about 40 memes this week about a tweet John Cleese wrote about the spelling of "Caoimhe". Another example is the countless memes about "brits being at it" when those two Kiwis returned to New Zealand from the UK and brought Covid with them.

I just find it a bit tiresome.

errlloyd wrote: »
    maxresdefault.jpg

FYP

• Advertisement

Yeah it's gone a bit far. The We Want Our Country Back numpties don't represent everyone over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It seems large swathes of the Irish online are absolutely obsessed with Britain.

Aside from this fake twitter thread I've seen about 40 memes this week about a tweet John Cleese wrote about the spelling of "Caoimhe". Another example is the countless memes about "brits being at it" when those two Kiwis returned to New Zealand from the UK and brought Covid with them.

A lot of it is small minded, uninformed stupidity like the issue of the N.Z. travellers. Quite frankly there is an increasing element of bigotry creeping in. I say this as an Irish 'Brit' though imo that is the equivalent of calling us 'Paddies.' I am not a 'Brit' any more than I am an 'Iri' or an 'Ulst'. I don't find it offensive but just another example of laziness in language.

I am very happy however to see the truth told at every opportunity about the inadequate fools now in charge and the brainless clods who have booted us out of the EU and those crooks in to power. Twitter is often a cesspit of sewage for those who don't have a worthwhile thought in their head. It can be great fun and can be a useful means of support and information.

Reddit, IrishSimpsonsFans and blindboy are the worst for this

Although this interpretation of brexit ...

ireland-simpsons-fans-is-the-best-way-to-understa-2-30660-1548079040-0_dblbig.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Shame. It was entertaining but less so in the last day where it just became ridiculous i.e. his Eurostar being cancelled (I don't believe any Eurostar was cancelled this morning), losing his shoes, being attacked by a homeless man's dog and the author then phoned by the police.

I didn't even get to see these tweets. The last I saw was him saying yesterday that he was something along the lines of he was going out to dinner with his wife and wouldn't be tweeting again until tomorrow, ie today

Yeah it's gone a bit far. The We Want Our Country Back numpties don't represent everyone over there.

No, they represent some of the Brits living abroad as well

You've hit the nail on the head there. It's an online thing largely. It gives a voice to the embittered, those looking for controversy and those who hold more extreme views.

It's definitely ramped up massively in the last 2 years though with Brexit though. It's an ongoing thing that needs to die off. In fairness, Britain has made it easy to poke fun in a similar way to America at the moment and the soap opera that is their leadership.

But we have had some ridiculous situations too in recent times but simply don't have the same level of international coverage. We tend to sweep things under the rug fairly quickly after a period of pisstaking. We've had politicians breaking the Covid-19 guidelines, the ridiculous swing legal case, independents proposing they sort out North Korea, Michael Lowry back in court again, Mick Wallace madness and a whole new chapter with some of the new sitting members of the Dáil. Are we much different to our British counterparts? Not really. There's just as much ignorance and arrogance on our own island.

You've hit the nail on the head there. It's an online thing largely. It gives a voice to the embittered, those looking for controversy and those who hold more extreme views.

It's definitely ramped up massively in the last 2 years though with Brexit though. It's an ongoing thing that needs to die off. In fairness, Britain has made it easy to poke fun in a similar way to America at the moment and the soap opera that is their leadership.

But we have had some ridiculous situations too in recent times but simply don't have the same level of international coverage. We tend to sweep things under the rug fairly quickly after a period of pisstaking. We've had politicians breaking the Covid-19 guidelines, the ridiculous swing legal case, independents proposing they sort out North Korea, Michael Lowry back in court again, Mick Wallace madness and a whole new chapter with some of the new sitting members of the Dáil. Are we much different to our British counterparts? Not really. There's just as much ignorance and arrogance on our own island.

It’s fair enough having lunatics on the back benches and on the fringes. But when the incompetent are your PM and CMO during a pandemic it changes things drastically. And the results somewhat show that. Even if our general population are capable of crazy behaviour to some extent, we’re not even close to producing the political disasters that their population is.

It’s fair enough having lunatics on the back benches and on the fringes. But when the incompetent are your PM and CMO during a pandemic it changes things drastically. And the results somewhat show that. Even if our general population are capable of crazy behaviour to some extent, we’re not even close to producing the political disasters that their population is.

Generally, I'd agree. Although I don't think you need to look too far to find similar levels of madness. At the risk of drawing the wrath of our benevolent and mighty moderators, I note there was an event recently which saw senior figures flouting guidelines in significant numbers including selfies which I can't really mention.

But that's a whole other Storey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Finding the anti Cleese stuff embarrassing. Take a joke FFS.

Cleese has always slagged off everyone!

On Terry Jones: "What Terry cannot accept is that the Welsh are a servile nation whom God put on the planet to carry out menial tasks for the English."

Advertisement