Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is the Brit bashing in Ireland any worse than elsewhere in Europe right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Is the Brit bashing in Ireland any worse than elsewhere in Europe right now?

Well I wouldn’t characterise Switzerland as a hotbed of anti-British sentiment...not that Switzerland is really a hotbed of anything.

I think the hotbed of Irish-Brit bashing is Venjur’s account :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

swiwi_ wrote: »
    not that Switzerland is really a hotbed of anything.

Except cheese

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Except cheese

I hate Emmentaler. But some of the other Swiss hard cheeses are delectable. NZ in the 80s was various sorts of utterly bland cheddar (not a patch on Irish cheddar) so I’m always partial to good cheese

Well, EU countries then. Because the Germans and Belgians in my life take the piss out of Britain these days to the point that I, the Irishman, sometimes have to entreat some propriety.

• Advertisement

I absolutely adore Tête de Moine and I can't say no to a fondue.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

My favourite hot bed of cheese is Raclette.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I absolutely adore Tête de Moine and I can't say no to a fondue.

That is delicious alright. Prefer raclette to fondue myself.

I'll happily eat a raclette but you're objectively monsters for preferring it to a fondue.

Though when your argument is over whether dunking food in melted cheese is better than spreading melted cheese over food, its safe to say the cheese has won.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A Croque Monsieur is a crock of ****. An excuse to overcharge for a ham and cheese toastie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Incredible to learn that Tony Holohan was doing everything in his power to lead the public through a pandemic whilst the entire time he was dealing with an extremely tragic situation in his own household.

Completely put his duty first to help save lives. Fair play to him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Buer wrote: »
    Incredible to learn that Tony Holohan was doing everything in his power to lead the public through a pandemic whilst the entire time he was dealing with an extremely tragic situation in his own household.

It was desperately sad to hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Mike Hough

I'm genuinely tearing up after reading that 20 mins ago

Mike Hough wrote: »
    I'm genuinely tearing up after reading that 20 mins ago

Indeed. I'm somewhat stoic generally but that caught me off guard. His leadership and input is likely to have contributed to saving hundreds if not thousands of lives in Ireland. Meanwhile, he was going through something utterly horrible at home, watching a loved one being consumed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's this about?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,597 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I can't imagine the stress he's been under. He's been a confident and steady presence in these months, remarkable in such horrible circumstances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I see everybody's favourite ex-pat journalist in Brazil/Portugal had a pretty awful reactionary tweet to the news before, to his credit, deleting it. Can't think of a clearer example that demonstrates his instinct is to provoke, rather than finding out details tho.

aloooof wrote: »
    I see everybody's favourite ex-pat journalist in Brazil/Portugal had a pretty awful reactionary tweet to the news before, to his credit, deleting it. Can't think of a clearer example that demonstrates his instinct is to provoke, rather than finding out details tho.

He's a Tweet and Delete champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Doesn't deserve much credit for deleting it either. He's a journalist who didn't even take 5 seconds to inquire as to why Holohan was stepping down from his role. Just immediately piled into him. Can't even do his job right.

• Advertisement

Didn't take long to play the victim. God he's insufferable.

I think this is applicable:

Can we get back to the deadly virus please. You know how this topic upsets me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Jesus, the Simpsons really has gone to the dogs, tho.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can we get back to the deadly virus please. You know how this topic upsets me.

Are you feeling delicate today?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

https://mobile.twitter.com/marksparko/status/1279000646335836163

This is fairly nuts if his claims are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don’t think the betting element is true

Jesus, the Simpsons really has gone to the dogs, tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Christ... That's not you narrating Neil right?

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »
    Christ... That's not you narrating Neil right?

No... why?

Advertisement