Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CatFromHue wrote: »

That last paragraph makes that clip look like all those places selling should be shut down.

Dame Lane itself is only about 100m long so if you buy a pint from anywhere on it you shouldn't be drinking that pint anywhere on the lane.

Same on the Street Dakota and Grogans are on

Places had little hatches open to serve drinks and people were literally sitting on the pavement across the road drinking

I thought drinking in public was illegal anyway?

I.e. drinking on the street, not in e.g. a beer garden or outdoor seating area

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bazzo wrote: »
    Just to go back to John Cleese for a minute, I see that someone asked Eric Idle if he'd always been this much of a "douchebag" on an unrelated thread on twitter and Idle responded "no comment" or something along those lines so doesn't seem to be just Irish people who've taken issue with him. Personally I don't care much either way.

How else would you respond to a "have you stopped beating your wife?" question?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The scenes from Soho last night are also scary, especially considering how badly the UK managed suppression of the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Once the pubs were allowed to sell takeaway pints, the game was up.

Allowing pubs with restaurant licenses to operate was just the next step on a very slippery slope.

Emergency legislation should have been brought in to prevent both these. Surely no one in authority really believed that personal responsibility was a viable way of controlling things? Or that the PUBLICANS of Ireland could be trusted to do anything other than exploit the situation to the absolute max? They were always going to do this. They're utter bastards.

The official opening of pubs on the 20th is going to be the nail in the coffin of the virus suppression. I understand the need to get the economy moving, but I think allowing every cnut to hit the pub like it's business as usual is leading us into a second wave that's going to be far tougher on the economy.

Unless the decision has been made that we're just going to take the second wave on the chin and power through without a lockdown. Maybe it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

What happened in Dame lane last night is the exception rather than the rule in my experience. Have been in a few bars and all were following guidelines (every place I was got told within ten/fifteen minutes of 105 minutes being up that needed to go), that’s been the experience of most people I know too.

It needs to be stamped out though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

In my holidays I have read 2 books that are difficult reads, even for someone who generally copes pretty well with this sort of thing

We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families

War Doctor

They are great books but not for the faint hearted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

swiwi_ wrote: »
    In my holidays I have read 2 books that are difficult reads, even for someone who generally copes pretty well with this sort of thing

We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families

War Doctor

They are great books but not for the faint hearted.

I’ve heard great things about War Doctor. Been meaning to read it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

This is a bit mad. For a short time, Pepsi had the world's 6th largest military: https://www.businessinsider.com/how-pepsi-briefly-became-the-6th-largest-military-in-the-world-2018-7?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Don’t know why all the focus is coming on it this weekend. South William street, Fade Street, Aungier Street and Camden Street have been like that for the last 3 weeks. Realistically the only way to stop it, is to temporarily ban off sales from pubs. Not sure they’re going to do something that drastic though. The reality is that Dame Lane just had it out in the open. It’s going on every weekend in house parties all over the city. My brother works as a Taxi driver, said it’s never been busier than the last month. Non stop all night dropping people to house parties. It’s unlikely what we saw this weekend is going to cause a massive spike. A lot of these people may have already had it.

Somebody posted a receipt yesterday for 3 meals and 30 pints of Guinness. 10 pints each in 90 minutes, them boys can sure hold their drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

stephen_n wrote: »
    Don’t know why all the focus is coming on it this weekend. South William street, Fade Street, Aungier Street and Camden Street have been like that for the last 3 weeks. Realistically the only way to stop it, is to temporarily ban off sales from pubs. Not sure they’re going to do something that drastic though. The reality is that Dame Lane just had it out in the open. It’s going on every weekend in house parties all over the city. My brother works as a Taxi driver, said it’s never been busier than the last month. Non stop all night dropping people to house parties. It’s unlikely what we saw this weekend is going to cause a massive spike. A lot of these people may have already had it.

Somebody posted a receipt yesterday for 3 meals and 30 pints of Guinness. 10 pints each in 90 minutes, them boys can sure hold their drink.

Have to agree. If they don't want people gathering together then the pubs should be closed completely. We're social beings. Being stuck in the house for months without being able to see people was always going to end up this way when people got a bit more freedom.

Personally I think they need to be ready for a next wave in the hospitals and nursing homes first and foremost. Be prepared in those areas to treat people getting very sick and have a stockpile of whatever PPE we can get our hands on. It looks like the majority of people who catch this thing will be fine, so make sure we're ready to properly treat those people who are being badly affected by it.

• Advertisement

RIP Ennio Morricone.

That guy could do a mean soundtrack to a Western.

Synode wrote: »
    Have to agree. If they don't want people gathering together then the pubs should be closed completely. We're social beings. Being stuck in the house for months without being able to see people was always going to end up this way when people got a bit more freedom.

Personally I think they need to be ready for a next wave in the hospitals and nursing homes first and foremost. Be prepared in those areas to treat people getting very sick and have a stockpile of whatever PPE we can get our hands on. It looks like the majority of people who catch this thing will be fine, so make sure we're ready to properly treat those people who are being badly affected by it.

They're not mutually exclusive though - in fact, they're directly and inextricably linked.

If the scenes that we saw on Saturday are repeated - and there's no reason to think they won't be - then a second wave is inevitable. The selfish **** who can't go without a pint and a ride for a few weeks are going to put more pressure on hospitals, more demand on PPE supplies, more bodies in the ground. It's that simple.

"The majority of people who catch this thing will be fine" - yes, that's exactly correct. However, people catching it and being fine are still highly likely to pass it on to the people who won't be fine. That's the whole point. We're all supposed to be in this together. That's been shown up for a crock of sh1t.

What we saw on Saturday will be the norm when all pubs reopen in a few weeks. One infected person in a crowded pub could infect ten, twenty, fifty others, then we're back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭OldRio

swiwi_ wrote: »
    RIP Ennio Morricone.

That guy could do a mean soundtrack to a Western.

Also the soundtrack to my favourite movie. Cinema Paradiso. If you love film I highly recommend it.

They're not mutually exclusive though - in fact, they're directly and inextricably linked.

If the scenes that we saw on Saturday are repeated - and there's no reason to think they won't be - then a second wave is inevitable. The selfish **** who can't go without a pint and a ride for a few weeks are going to put more pressure on hospitals, more demand on PPE supplies, more bodies in the ground. It's that simple.

"The majority of people who catch this thing will be fine" - yes, that's exactly correct. However, people catching it and being fine are still highly likely to pass it on to the people who won't be fine. That's the whole point. We're all supposed to be in this together. That's been shown up for a crock of sh1t.

What we saw on Saturday will be the norm when all pubs reopen in a few weeks. One infected person in a crowded pub could infect ten, twenty, fifty others, then we're back to square one.

I understand where you're coming from but did anyone realistically think we wouldn't see scenes like we did once the restrictions were eased? It was always going to happen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There was no spike after the BLM protests so I'm not sure how much transmission of the virus occurs in gatherings outdoor.

Tbh foreign travel is way riskier as we don't have the virus in the community anymore, and haven't for a good few weeks.

There was no spike after the BLM protests so I'm not sure how much transmission of the virus occurs in gatherings outdoor.

Tbh foreign travel is way riskier as we don't have the virus in the community anymore, and haven't for a good few weeks.

Outdoor transmission seems to be much lower than indoor transmission. Inside a pub is considered one the most high risk environments for transmission.

The reality is that we can fully open up now with no risk or fear of a second wave if everyone wears masks in public, washes their hands, takes their temperature every morning and socially distances in public places.

We don't even need everyone doing that - just a high enough % to deny the virus the opportunity to spread.

I don't think compliance right now is anywhere near that level so I am of the opinion that we are going to see more and more minor spikes and local lockdowns. These will inevitably end up being in urban centres and some parts of the country being open while others are in and out of closure is going to see the above measures (masks, distancing) become strictly enforced by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

if everyone wears masks in public

I try to avoid going to shops etc as much as possible but in my experience this varies wildly sometimes I see a really high percentage of people wearing masks and other times it seems really low. What really gets me though is the number of people who are not wearing masks properly. I mean if you are pulling it down to below your nose it's only marginally better than not wearing at all.

I think there needs to be a big awareness campaign from the govt about how to use masks and really start to push to make them mandatory in more and more places

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

b.gud wrote: »
    I try to avoid going to shops etc as much as possible but in my experience this varies wildly sometimes I see a really high percentage of people wearing masks and other times it seems really low. What really gets me though is the number of people who are not wearing masks properly. I mean if you are pulling it down to below your nose it's only marginally better than not wearing at all.

I think there needs to be a big awareness campaign from the govt about how to use masks and really start to push to make them mandatory in more and more places
    I'd say it's better than marginal tbh. The majority of droplets come from your mouth when coughing, not your nose.

But not all outdoor activities are the same. The BLM protests annoyed me but they were relatively orderly, lots of masks and the risk of transmission was low. That's not the same as drinking on the street all night.

We have much lower rates of virus in the community now but it is not zero. If Saturday was a once off I wouldn't mind but it's only the beginning.

But not all outdoor activities are the same. The BLM protests annoyed me but they were relatively orderly, lots of masks and the risk of transmission was low. That's not the same as drinking on the street all night.

We have much lower rates of virus in the community now but it is not zero. If Saturday was a once off I wouldn't mind but it's only the beginning.

We're seeing cautionary tales coming out of Spain just this week with 0.5 million back into lockdown.

I think the next 2 - 4 weeks on the continent and in the UK will be revealing in terms of what we can expect here over the next 6 - 10 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

b.gud wrote: »

I think it's too late for that now. They've tried pushing the campaigns, but without making them mandatory in shops or when going up to order in restaurants etc it's not going to really take off. They've only just made them mandatory on public transport which is a step in the right direction.

They definitely dropped the ball alongside the WHO by not pushing masks earlier on, and it all came from the viewpoint that masks wouldn't filter out the virus and protect the wearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Fine is a relative term it seems when it comes to corona virus. It would appear there a lot of people who recovered but are still suffering long term affects. Possibly not enough attention is being paid to that in the messaging. It’s an area that has a far greater impact on all age groups, not just older people who are more likely to die.

OldRio wrote: »
    Also the soundtrack to my favourite movie. Cinema Paradiso. If you love film I highly recommend it.

I quite liked that film but not as much as I had expected given its reputation. During the lockdown I churned though a fair amount of silent movies and “Man with a movie camera” is amazing for its time.

Changing topic and there is pasta in the packet...then fresh pasta which you store in the fridge. The second type is soooo good. The Southern Italy wines are surprisingly good too. I hadn’t heard of a grape variety called Negroamaro but for €6/bottle it goes down a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Patrick Mahomes II just became a very rich man.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Patrick Mahomes II just became a very rich man.

2 years left on his existing contract and then they're adding another 10 on top of it.

Wonder how much of it will be guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is audible the best audiobook subscription to go with right now?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Is audible the best audiobook subscription to go with right now?

I've been using it for years and it's great. Can't say if it's the best though as I haven't used anything else

Synode wrote: »
    I've been using it for years and it's great. Can't say if it's the best though as I haven't used anything else

Same. There is an unethical trick to getting infinite books. You return them on the website after listening to them for a full credit refund. Also if you try to cancel your subscription, they will offer you the same deal for half the price.

Same. There is an unethical trick to getting infinite books. You return them on the website after listening to them for a full credit refund. Also if you try to cancel your subscription, they will offer you the same deal for half the price.

I've returned a good few books that way, mostly ones the missus started but never finished. Didn't know about the half price. How long does it last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

2 years left on his existing contract and then they're adding another 10 on top of it.

Wonder how much of it will be guaranteed.

No word on the guarantee but it's 400m+ and is potentially tied to a percentage of an ever increasing salary cap. He's worth every cent. A QB like Mahomes gets you to the playoffs every year.

Advertisement