Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

Slight but purely anecdotal pick up in the economy, I've had a busy few weeks working from home having been deathly quiet since April.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Slight but purely anecdotal pick up in the economy, I've had a busy few weeks working from home having been deathly quiet since April.
    Tax take to May was up 1.2% iirc. Mostly manufacturing led. Apparently the likes of Medtronic (who were churning out ventilators like loaves of bread) were going gangbusters. It's an ill wind...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

It still has the feel of the deep breath before the plunge to me. I know the housing market doesn’t necessarily equate to the economy’s progress, but the monthly Daft reports seem to be fluctuating with each passing edition (granted that the overall trend is downwards).

I think once the Covid payment and mortgage breaks stop that we’ll get the true sense of the economic challenges we’re facing, irrespective of a second wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

British Prime Minister, complete and utter ball bag and Cummings Henchman #4, Boris Bunter Johnson, is reportedly feeling quietly confident that his recent comments on care homes have done enough to sway the public into blaming old people for their own deaths.
    The prime minister sparked controversy earlier this week after he claimed that some care homes did not follow proper procedure during the coronavirus lock-down, despite there not being one.
    Despite the widespread criticism his comments have seen, however, one inside source has confirmed that Boris remains convinced that voters will side with him instead of their sick, elderly and vulnerable family members.
    “Boris is feeling pretty optimistic about the whole thing”, said the anonymous insider.
    “He was nervous at first about the public reaction to how awful this government’s pandemic response was. But he thinks his idea to blame it on the old people for being stupid enough to die is pretty genius.
    “Everyone knows that people will always respect a random politician over a member of their own family. It’s such a brilliant move, Boris thinks it will even impress his boss Dominic!”
    Despite the reported optimism, when asked for comment, Johnson himself was more tight-lipped on the matter.
    He said, “To reiterate what I said earlier in the week, the most important thing to remember is that the loss of life due to Covid-19 is an absolute tragedy.
    It’s not important to worry about who’s to blame, whether that’s me or the thousands of people who should have tried harder to stay alive. Who’s to say who is really the bad guy is here?”

Meanwhile, Professional and amateur pundits around the world are doing their best to pretend they are excited about the revelations in the new book by Mary Trump even though they were really hoping for a vivid description of high-end Muscovite whores taking a slash on Donald Trump.
    Simon Williams, a senior political editor for the Washington Post, said that Mary Trump’s book gave an interesting look into her family’s psychodramas but failed to tackle the geopolitical implications of a golden shower aficionado becoming resident in the White House.
    He explained, “I guess that whole story about him paying someone to take the SATs for him is kinda fun, but it’s not like anyone imagined he got into Penn State on his own merit.
    But what the American electorate really needs to know is if the piss-play is a fetish of his, or was it a coke-fuelled one-off? Does he sometimes ask Melania to drink a pint of iced coffee and put on something sexy and stainproof?”
    Mr Williams conceded that there was some public interest in knowing that Donald Trump is driven by a desperate need for validation from an emotionally abusive father.
    He went on, “Frankly I don’t get why he tried to block the publication in court. We all know his father was an a55hole just by the son. We all guessed his pathetic exaggerations stemmed from something dark. This book doesn’t really answer the many questions Americans have about their President, such as his stance on the pish question.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Jaco Im quite enjoying your satire I must say. This deserves a wider platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Zzippy wrote: »

He's had 100 years of practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Waterford Whispers should give Jaco a column for sure!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bazzo wrote: »
    Waterford Whispers should give Jaco a column for sure!

I was also thinking this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,234 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Zzippy wrote: »

.....satire?!

81465163_119769712862242_2828092336414654464_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_oc=AQmb3dURUdHFjVP1iZuM0iLAjdl_OIg0OQHJFtSLMEhu8590gTt2LL2DRjOMj4TT3qv4tv1SVcmp4vmsupytVPJ4&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=b7273764463533aafe590ef4680b8caa&oe=5F2B0600

• Advertisement

I'm not keen on American style political advertising. They often come across like a movie trailer for a disaster movie based on the other candidate getting power.

The Lincoln project ads are no different, but I thought they'd focus on Trump and leave the senate races alone. I guess not:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They want to remove all vestige of Trumpism from the Republican party. Can't remember where I saw it now, but I recall reading a quote from one of them about wanting to remove Trump and all but one Senator (presumably Romney).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

:D
    I'm not keen on American style political advertising. They often come across like a movie trailer for a disaster movie based on the other candidate getting power.

The Lincoln project ads are no different, but I thought they'd focus on Trump and leave the senate races alone. I guess not:

Without all the enablers, Trump would be powerless. They need to be removed too. DRAIN THE SWAMP! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't think the Lincoln project is actively supporting many democratic candidates. I think it's trying to deter other major republicans from towing the trump line

I wouldn't be surprised if we're having an Election ourselves come November. Knives seem to be out within FF.

Sorry I mean, that fictional place paddyland and its fictional coalition government is never going to last fictionally. Nothing to do with Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

errlloyd wrote: »
    I don't think the Lincoln project is actively supporting many democratic candidates. I think it's trying to deter other major republicans from towing the trump line

They aren't, they are Republicans themselves, they just want rid of Trump.

The R is back up to 1. Sigh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They aren't, they are Republicans themselves, they just want rid of Trump.

They want rid of Trump and Trumpism, which means erasing most of the Republicans in the Senate to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

When confirmed cases are on average so low, any slight upturn will see the R rate increasing. At least that's what I've read on the topic. Saw a similar thing in Germany. Prof Philip Nolan says there's no cause for concern yet.

But what concerns me is that 50% of close contacts of a confirmed Covid case are refusing to take their second Covid test on day 7. That's so, so selfish.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Clegg wrote: »

But what concerns me is that 50% of close contacts of a confirmed Covid case are refusing to take their second Covid test on day 7. That's so, so selfish.

That's bonkers

Is it fear of having to isolate for seven days as you get tested on day 0 and day7? Or just arrogance?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    That's bonkers

Is it fear of having to isolate for seven days as you get tested on day 0 and day7? Or just arrogance?

I understand the test isn't the nicest. I'd say they just don't want their sinus cavity poked again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I understand the test isn't the nicest. I'd say they just don't want their sinus cavity poked again!

That's like saying "I don't like needles, I won't have any vaccines, thanks!".

Stupid, selfish and shortsighted, just like the vaccine people. C*nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

A lot of travel related cases as well. Tbh that really concerns me. I want to be optimistic that we'll keep this contained to low levels, but the refusal of people to take tests and the importation of Cass from elsewhere makes that so hard to do. The health service has done Trojan work, aided by the wider population doing their part and restricting their movements. I don't want to see that wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Stheno wrote: »
    That's bonkers

It's complacency. It's young people not giving a f**k.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Went over to my local there to pick up a couple takeaway pints and dinner.

Almost zero social distancing, none of the staff wearing masks or gloves etc, and I've heard from a few lads that the time limit rule is non-existent.

Genuinely couldn't pay me to go over and sit there for a few hours.

It's complacency. It's young people not giving a f**k.

That's shameful tbh

My favourite local opened today and we went in for dinner

Literally five tables out of thirty occupied

They took our contact details, the staff were masks etc

We really enjoyed having dinner, first time I've been anywhere in a few days

If I got a call or app notification of a close contact I'd be first in the queue for a test tbh

The isolation would be frustrating but it's only 2 weeks

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Clegg wrote: »

It shouldn't be optional. That or name and shame the pricks. We've all put far too much into this to allow a minority of morons to drag us back towards square one.

Also, there should be heavy fines and forced closure for pubs ignoring the rules.

#SoftlySoftlyApproach

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Watching Prime Time at the moment. The experts in studio are basically saying there's no real need to panic at the moment. The R number will fluctuate and we just need to keep an eye on it over time. Basically if we keep doing what we should be doing, hygiene, distancing, masks etc, we should be okay. The risk is too many people not doing those things. The supermarkets are a positive sign. Tesco had a tiny number of confirmed cases in their staff. People constantly moving about, not congregating together and being generally sensible and cautious shows this can be done. It's on us now, despite how some want to point the finger at authorities and business groups.

Good to see the Vintners Association come out strongly in favour of serious repercussions for their members that are in breach of the guidance on this.

How did such a loathsome specimen of all-round vileness, uselessness and worthlessness become the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
    The thing is, it’s understandable when an incompetent rogue gets to attract enough support to raise him (or, much less commonly, her) to the leadership of a country through the force of a charming and charismatic personality. This results in the blinding of many weak minded people to their lack of leadership abilities or huge personality flaws such as lining very deep pockets with cash belonging to the people. But in Mr Blobby's case, his total unfitness for the role of PM is matched by the total unattractiveness of his persona.

He’s such an extraordinarily repulsive person – repulsive in appearance, repulsive in manner, repulsive in speech, as well as repulsive in everything he does and everything he omits to do. Those dead fish eyes, and the look in them, make me spit with revulsion, as I’d spit looking into the eyes of any cold-blooded predator.

How could such a person possibly attract any support, let alone attract enough support to make him any kind of leader, least of all the leader of a large, still moderately powerful, and not-so-long-ago mighty nation? Well, we underestimate the cretinous stupidity of the English electorate. There must be hundred of thousands of people, perhaps even millions, better fitted for the job among the UK’s more than 66 million citizens.

So how is it possible that so grotesque a brute rose above everyone else to become our PM? How it could have happened, or how it could have been allowed to happen? Simple. Corbyn happened, McCluskey, McDonnell, Abbott, Burgon, Lansman and Rebecca Long-Bailey and that bunch of utter losers opened the door and then blew it off the hinges. There is more common sense in a pile of dog sh*t than amongst that coterie of arrogant ideologues. Bampots.

Their failure gave us the slurry of lying bastards like Handoncock who dishonours the department of health, Sunak dishonours the Treasury department, Rees-Mogg dishonours parliament, Johnson dishonours No 10 and the entirety of the conservative party would have it no other way. This is a party without any ideas, plans, policies and couldn't possibly care less about the Constitution they swore an oath to uphold. The Conservative Party represents the biggest most discernible present threat to the future of this country. They are despicable. Why are we letting the government get away with this? The French would never put up with this 'merde'. It's mainly because the media in this country are either supporters of these crooks or sh*t scared of the billionaire tax exiles that own them...body and lack of soul.

A significant part of the problem is that there is no written constitution, merely a series of winks, nudges & nods designed to perpetuate one big mess that can be exploited by the unscrupulous & unprincipled. It's a system that has long since failed us all.

Karl Marx predicted Britain would be the first country to experience a revolution given the exploitation and barbaric conditions under which the ordinary working man and woman laboured. However he didn't reckon with the servile, forelock tugging character of the British towards their 'betters'. Those beer bellied, knuckle dragging, grunting half wits, sub human drones all, would kick you to death for an imagined slight on 'Queen Brenda' or their hero 'Bunter Bozo'. Their lack of intelligence is shocking.

Behind the slipped mask of his boosterism fakery, his mendacious and duplicitous lies have enabled him to laugh his way to the top of the political ladder. The man is a no good, lazy, incompetent, cynical liar and that is being kind. He is a part-time PM in every way possible and sadly a full-time liability for this country as we are now seeing in full technicolour. And yet this babbling, burbling fool and charlatan announces he is proud of his achievements but that is typical of the delirious boast of a fool.

What he delusionally sees as achievements to his cultish Brexit supporters, others see them as being nothing more then a national scandal in every way possible.
    Any normal person would see them for what they are and that is sh^t show after sh^t show.

Tory ‘achievements’ just to remind you of how delusional this Tory government are.
    Contact tracing , an utter failure.
    Herd immunity , an utter failure.
    PPE , an utter failure.
    Testing , an utter failure.
    Lockdown , an utter failure
    Care homes , an utter failure.
    App..an utter failure
    Contact tracing…… again , an utter failure.
    Protecting the lives and health of its own citizens , an utter failure.

• Advertisement

Jaco are you sure you're not from Limerick? So much pashun!

Advertisement