Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Jaco are you sure you're not from Limerick? So much pashun!

Pretty certain.......:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Stheno wrote: »
    That's bonkers

Is it fear of having to isolate for seven days as you get tested on day 0 and day7? Or just arrogance?

Trying to be optimistic here...

Perhaps a significant chunk of these people did the math and reckon that even if they had it, it's almost definitely gone?

Time it takes for symptoms to develop in a patient... then the wait for their test... then the wait for results... then the confirmation.... then the case tracing... then the wait for close contacts to get tested... then the wait for those results.... then a week....

Chances are 14 days could have passed from the contact you had with the patient, to the date of your second test?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

dregin wrote: »
    It shouldn't be optional. That or name and shame the pricks. We've all put far too much into this to allow a minority of morons to drag us back towards square one.

Also, there should be heavy fines and forced closure for pubs ignoring the rules.

Honestly, I've lost a lot of confidence in our approach to dealing with Covid since the new government came in. Previously when it came to Covid announcements, you'd be confident that Varadkar and co would generally do the right thing, and would take it seriously. You felt you were in good hands. And I'm not a FG voter (never have been now I think about it).

I have no such faith in Martin and Donnelly. I just don't see them making the right decision, if the wrong decision is easier. I don't see them grabbing control in the case of pubs and other places flouting rules.

If anyone watches Bald and Bankrupt on YouTube, he just got out of a Serbian hospital, spent a week in ICU with Covid. He said upon admission into hospital his blood oxygen was 70%!

However he also claims that the disease "shrunk his knob" and there has been no activity down there since he started feeling symptoms (makes sense, as we know this disease attacks blood vessels). His exact phrase was - "not a twitch".

Can't help but feel that if we put "My knob shrunk" and "Not a twitch" on a billboards across the world, younger folks may start taking this thing a lot more seriously!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I understand the test isn't the nicest. I'd say they just don't want their sinus cavity poked again!

My mate got the test done a few months back. He said she put the swab in so far that he'd have to buy her dinner at the very least.

• Advertisement

My cousin tested positive a few days ago after flying back from New Zealand of all places. She had a connecting flight through Qater so they think that's where she got it. We were due to do a big family bbq 15 days after she got back this Sunday. Mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

My cousin tested positive a few days ago after flying back from New Zealand of all places. She had a connecting flight through Qater so they think that's where she got it. We were due to do a big family bbq 15 days after she got back this Sunday. Mad stuff

Hope your cousin is ok.

Travel from other countries is a major concern. There was a Newstalk reporter in Dublin airport today interviewing new arrivals. He spoke to a family from Texas who said they thought the threat of the virus was overblown and that they would be travelling around Ireland for their holiday. It's stuff like that which makes me worry about a second wave. I know a lot of people would deride that as scaremongering, but allowing people from virus hotspots into Ireland unchecked could have bad consequences.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Clegg wrote: »
    Hope your cousin is ok.

Travel from other countries is a major concern. There was a Newstalk reporter in Dublin airport today interviewing new arrivals. He spoke to a family from Texas who said they thought the threat of the virus was overblown and that they would be travelling around Ireland for their holiday. It's stuff like that which makes me worry about a second wave. I know a lot of people would deride that as scaremongering, but allowing people from virus hotspots into Ireland unchecked could have bad consequences.
    Probably Republicans

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Clegg wrote: »
    Travel from other countries is a major concern.

It's not really. Travelling from certain other countries is a major concern.

Why we are allowing people in with the same wishy washy self-quarantining requirements whether they be from the US or Germany makes no sense.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It's not really. Travelling from certain other countries is a major concern.

Why we are allowing people in with the same wishy washy self-quarantining requirements whether they be from the US or Germany makes no sense.

I emailed the minister's department there last week (and my TDs) regarding travel from the US. This was the department's 'Covid-19 Response Team' cookie cutter response, not that I expected anything different to be honest (nor did I expect an email to have any effect, was just curious as to how/if they'd reply).
    The Government continues to advise against all non-essential travel overseas until further notice. The current travel advice is in effect until the 20th July. It is not possible to say what circumstances will apply after that date due to the nature of the virus that has caused this global pandemic. At present, is intended that there will be a gradual opening up of international travel through a Roadmap for Safe Overseas Access, as has been announced by the Irish Government. Up to date government advice on travel in the context of COVID-19 is published at https://www.gov.ie/en/, https://www.dfa.ie/ ; and https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/travel.html.

I understand there is ongoing consideration being given by Government to policy in relation to overseas travel, including to possible additional measures being put in place at airports and ports to strengthen existing arrangements. The Government continues to review the methodology and approach to be used in connection with travel arrangements.

So, business as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

A mate of mine arrived back into Dublin Airport yesterday from Spain. Said he filled in the 14 day self-isolation form and tried to give it to the bloke at Customs. Got told he had to give it to the person at the desk on his way out of Arrivals. There was no desk there and no one collecting forms. Asked a DAA worker what he should do with the form and got told the same thing. When he pointed out that there was no one there and there was no desk they shrugged their shoulders and said they didn't know what to do with it. So he threw it in the bin and left the airport.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    A mate of mine arrived back into Dublin Airport yesterday from Spain. Said he filled in the 14 day self-isolation form and tried to give it to the bloke at Customs. Got told he had to give it to the person at the desk on his way out of Arrivals. There was no desk there and no one collecting forms. Asked a DAA worker what he should do with the form and got told the same thing. When he pointed out that there was no one there and there was no desk they shrugged their shoulders and said they didn't know what to do with it. So he threw it in the bin and left the airport.

God this infuriates me. I'm putting off going home cause of this, as I wouldn't be going home for 2 weeks, making self isolation for that period somewhat impossible.

Pretty staggering to see the Tories polling upwards again. You would wonder what is influencing people in England, whether it's ongoing social media manipulation or some kind of cultural or cognitive deficit.

The fairly open displays of corruption, the horrifying death toll and the aggressive incompetence of the Government hasn't made a blip. They'll just continue to be emboldened but I still can't understand exactly what the end game here is - The country is turning into Russia right before our eyes and when people get hit with the consequences there is going to be an enormous meltdown.

Pretty staggering to see the Tories polling upwards again. You would wonder what is influencing people in England, whether it's ongoing social media manipulation or some kind of cultural or cognitive deficit.

The fairly open displays of corruption, the horrifying death toll and the aggressive incompetence of the Government hasn't made a blip. They'll just continue to be emboldened but I still can't understand exactly what the end game here is - The country is turning into Russia right before our eyes and when people get hit with the consequences there is going to be an enormous meltdown.

Is another way to say this - The UK are simply a few decades behind Russia in it's post-great-empire descent into kleptocracy?

Plenty of them simply aren't seeing the news about the Tories, or if they are, it's through the lens of right-wing controlled media which minimises all bad done by the Tories and blames someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

mix of what you've said. Media manipulation is horrendous. Look at list of circulation figures for papers and that gives good insight into what many people think or believe because that's what their media tells them and reinforces in every issue.
    Conservatives put themselves as arch English nationalists and get votes as a result in huge numbers over and over regardless of what's actually happening across the countey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Well, it's less than a year ago that Johnson instituted a dictatorship in the UK. He called it proroguing but essentially democracy wasn't serving his needs so he did away with democracy. The supreme Court unanimously ruled that it was a deliberate attempt to subvert democracy.

Now, the public "should" have been outraged and turfed him out at the election. Instead, they gave him an unassailable mandate to do whatever the fnck he wanted for five years.

I'd have been surprised if the Tories didn't rebound in the polls tbh. We're living in an age where actions and consequences are no longer connected.

And it is not the media to blame. It is the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well, it's less than a year ago that Johnson instituted a dictatorship in the UK. He called it proroguing but essentially democracy wasn't serving his needs so he did away with democracy. The supreme Court unanimously ruled that it was a deliberate attempt to subvert democracy.

Now, the public "should" have been outraged and turfed him out at the election. Instead, they gave him an unassailable mandate to do whatever the fnck he wanted for five years.

I'd have been surprised if the Tories didn't rebound in the polls tbh. We're living in an age where actions and consequences are no longer connected.

And it is not the media to blame. It is the internet.
    Ah here! Biggest selling newspaper in the UK is still the S*n. `Biggest circulation via all media is the Daily Fail. And I see this morning that the Spectator has increased their circulation to the point that they are taking on new staff and returning their furlough money. And all of these (including the Torygraph) are mouthpieces for Johnson and the Tories. The BBC is so obsessed with balance that last night, they had somebody on to 'balance' the message that wearing face masks in public was necessary to slow the spread of Covid-19.

Who needs the internet when the main sources of 'news' are so biased and craven?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Ah here! Biggest selling newspaper in the UK is still the S*n. `Biggest circulation via all media is the Daily Fail. And I see this morning that the Spectator has increased their circulation to the point that they are taking on new staff and returning their furlough money. And all of these (including the Torygraph) are mouthpieces for Johnson and the Tories. The BBC is so obsessed with balance that last night, they had somebody on to 'balance' the message that wearing face masks in public was necessary to slow the spread of Covid-19.

Who needs the internet when the main sources of 'news' are so biased and craven?

They might be obsessed with balance in some regards but the BBC's political editor is also basically a mouthpiece for the Tory Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Put em under pressure!

RIP Big Jack

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    Put em under pressure!

RIP Big Jack

https://vimeo.com/130414914

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

prawnsambo wrote: »

This doesn't stack up. Daily circulation of newspapers has absolutely plummeted as undemocratic politicians have thrived and electorates have continued to press the self destruct button. The Sun, the Mail, the Express and the Telegraph have always been massively pro Tory, but they're far less read now than ever. But print media is and was always subject to rules on its content. The Internet is not.

The BBC has to be balanced. That's its role. That's why it's more valuable than ever.

It's the Internet. It's the collective dumbing down of society. People don't read newspapers any more. They read Twitter and they get into arguments on boards and they fall for fake news on WhatsApp. The reason Trump got elected, the reason Brexit happened, is that they understood how to reach voters and it's not newspapers.

If you think it won't happen here, well, it already has.

This doesn't stack up. Daily circulation of newspapers has absolutely plummeted as undemocratic politicians have thrived and electorates have continued to press the self destruct button. The Sun, the Mail, the Express and the Telegraph have always been massively pro Tory, but they're far less read now than ever. But print media is and was always subject to rules on its content. The Internet is not.

The BBC has to be balanced. That's its role. That's why it's more valuable than ever.

It's the Internet. It's the collective dumbing down of society. People don't read newspapers any more. They read Twitter and they get into arguments on boards and they fall for fake news on WhatsApp. The reason Trump got elected, the reason Brexit happened, is that they understood how to reach voters and it's not newspapers.

I think Social media in Ireland is definitely worse than our media - but the UK media is just so much more blatant and vicious with their partisanship that they've effectively robbed England of being able to have a viable opposition. It's staggering.

From an Irish POV I think we need to make hard choices regarding social media before we start down the same path.

I barely open facebook these days and I have kicked anyone that posts anything misleading about politics, vaccinations etc - but prior to that I couldn't get over how much misinformation there was and I can only imagine what it's like now.

Even with a smaller friends list I was still seeing a mountain of anti Fine Gael and anti Fianna Fail content being pushed hard enough to make it onto my limited feed in the run up to the last election.

I would hope before we've another election here that Facebook is forced to de-platform ANYTHING of a political nature. Politics can be moderated on a forum like this - but that kind of strictness needs to be applied to all major social media or the world is going to pull itself apart.

Bad people are misusing sources of information to get bad people into positions of power so that bad people can benefit. That's all that is happening here and it needs to come to and end because the damage is real and widespread. Brexit is about to kick us all in the balls in December and if we allow it we'll do something equally as stupid in Ireland in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The quality of the BBC's journalism has become a laughing stock since Brexit kicked off. Which is a sad thing to see

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Newspapers aren’t just sold in print any more!

The Daily Mail under Dacre absolutely poisoned the minds of a generation by being the most effective implementers on their online platform at the perfect time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Maybe you missed the part where I pointed to 'all media'? Circulation online for the print media is (in many cases) larger than print circulation.

Yes, the internet (Facebook, Twitter etc.) can create an echo chamber for those not willing or able to fact check. But those echo chambers are fed by the likes of Fox News in the US or The Daily Fail in the UK. Almost all the stuff I see on Twitter comes from a so-called reputable source. They just feed the monster and get amplified exponentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If anyone is staying at home to holiday this year because it's safer you might just want to stay at home.

I came down to inch last night to join herself and the kids. Came down to the beach an hour ago and it is rammed. Hundreds of cars and easily over a thousand people on top of each other at the top of the beach. Cafe is jammed, ice cream van has a queue with zero social distancing and the sunbathers are on top of each other.

If you drive 2 miles down the beach it's empty...barely a soul here.

I've been coming here 6 years and I've never seen it this busy. My summer holiday ends today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mfceiling wrote: »
    If anyone is staying at home to holiday this year because it's safer you might just want to stay at home.

I came down to inch last night to join herself and the kids. Came down to the beach an hour ago and it is rammed. Hundreds of cars and easily over a thousand people on top of each other at the top of the beach. Cafe is jammed, ice cream van has a queue with zero social distancing and the sunbathers are on top of each other.

If you drive 2 miles down the beach it's empty...barely a soul here.

I've been coming here 6 years and I've never seen it this busy. My summer holiday ends today.
    I'm just not going on holiday full stop this year tbh

I'm comfortable with my current routine and the places I go locally, dont need the stress of being somewhere i dont feel that way

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm just not going on holiday full stop this year tbh

I'm comfortable with my current ro urine and the places I go locally, dont need the stress of being somewhere i dont feel that way

Yeah, travelling during a pandemic is really taking the piss.

• Advertisement

Yeah, travelling during a pandemic is really taking the piss.

Hee

Advertisement