Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

From what I read when you take in the all the allowances it worked out closer to 11bn a year, or 211m a week, that they payed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

CatFromHue wrote: »
    From what I read when you take in the all the allowances it worked out closer to 11bn a year, or 211m a week, that they payed in.

And the estimated actual value of what came back via membership per year was 240 billion. It really is incomprehensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

A plug for “Fringes - Life on the edge of pro rugby”.

One of the better rugby books I’ve read, not least because it’s not boring cliched shîte.

Useless fool and pile o futter sh*te, Bojob Boris decided that , in answer to a question about the 65,000 deaths on his hands, that making a joke about underpants was appropriate. I bet the Calvin Klein witticism worked really, really well in front of the bedroom mirror yesterday morning. A pity he slipped it into the condolences speech rather than waste it..I'm betting even the mirror cringed.I can't imagine any exchange in which it could be considered a 'zinger'.

The man is just pathetic.If there was ever as craven a self deluded bastard as f*cking awful as this total waste of space we have never heard of him. Risible performance and consistently outplayed by a superior and better prepared opposition. If only we had a competent Labour leader 12 months ago, Johnson would be toast. As it is we have 4 years of this excrement show. A pox on all their houses! This is why I was for Starmer as leader. Week after week he'll forensically shred Johnson and week after week we'll see him implode a little bit more...

Funniest moment was the guppy-fish impersonation and open mouthed look from Bunter Criminal and mouthing the word ‘outrageous’ as Starmer accuses him of being untrue in his rhetoric on ‘stunning success’. i.e. 'You're a f*cking liar'

This weeks PMQs spectacle was a complete disgrace.It’s just incredible given there are still over 500 people dying every week. Avoidable deaths, avoidable bereavements, avoidable pain, avoidable family disasters. F all unavoidable Tory bastards. Johnson has absolutely no idea what is going on and meanwhile Cummings and Goveslug have been awarded a government contract without any competition.
    A second wave is coming and the government merely prevaricates and avoids cross examination. Unemployment is about to soar to unprecedented levels. The OBR estimates 4.000.000. A Hard deal Brexit is about to be foisted on the country in a manner that was never explained or debated in the country at the time .....AND THE GOVERNMENT HAVE ORDERED THAT THERE WILL BE NO MORE REPORTS ISSUED ON THE FINANCIAL IMPACT OF NO DEAL BREXIT / ANY DEAL BREXIT.

Johnson is lazy and incompetent and will never be forgiven for generations but the pain that is coming is unnecessary and for that reason he will be remembered as a sociopathic failure. Just like his American hero. What is absolutely clear from Johnson is that he simply don’t care about unity in the country, Economic damages, the health of the nation and anything that has nothing to do with Mr. Blobby. In his head he’s King, come rain or sunshine he will live like THE King and certain he can do whatever he likes. Bozo is a lazy idiot ... even the Tories are getting embarrassed. Unsurprising parallels with Trump and the Republicans. The Tories can replace Johnson pretty easily; the Republicans are stuck with Trump.

Johnson's uselessness is now nearing or equalling Corbyn proportions, where the opposing party starts to go easy to keep him in place. In decades to come, the 2019 choice between these two will be seen as a low point for British politics.

The SNP certainly want Johnson in place. He (and his Brexit ilk) are doing wonderful things for Scottish Independence.
    At some point Johnson will be told he could increase his majority by removing the SNP members of parliament. He'll have to give up Scotland, but he might see that as a small price to pay (given how he's been so careless with everything else). I imagine that's why the SNP were so gung-ho for a general election late last year, once Bozo was installed as PM they knew he'd be the gift the keeps on giving.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Useless fool and pile o futter sh*te, Bojob Boris decided that , in answer to a question about the 65,000 deaths on his hands, that making a joke about underpants was appropriate. I bet the Calvin Klein witticism worked really, really well in front of the bedroom mirror yesterday morning. A pity he slipped it into the condolences speech rather than waste it..I'm betting even the mirror cringed.I can't imagine any exchange in which it could be considered a 'zinger'.

His PR machine scrambled incredibly fast after the fact. The BBC and other media reported the answer, but none included the actual question.

It's hilarious though - he was obviously briefed (excuse the pun) on his answers and stuck to the script. You can imagine he walked into Cummings office afterwards and got rinsed for not being able to think on his feet and offer some condolence, but again I'm sure he's also been told repeatedly not to think on his feet because his own office have had to retract his statements publicly the few times he has.

It's Government by proxy - Cummings is handling the message and Boris is the messenger. Starmer obviously picked up on the fact that Boris hit hard on his final answers to give the media it's sound bites and tripped him up nicely.

It's another 24 hours of absolutely horrendous errors from Government but people don't care and it won't damage them. At this stage you just have to acknowledge that one half of England is living in a ideological cult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

swiwi_ wrote: »
    A plug for “Fringes - Life on the edge of pro rugby”.

One of the better rugby books I’ve read, not least because it’s not boring cliched shîte.

Just finished the book, and I thought it was pretty awesome actually. As someone who has just finished up my rugby career at the age of 41 after 2 seasons in Swiss league B and 1 season in Swiss league D, I enjoyed this tale of a guy heading from England across to France. Obviously, I was a rank amateur, while Mercer was a pro/semi-pro, but there was a lot I could identify with.

If you've left Ireland and played rugby in continental Europe, I reckon you'd especially like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The leader of the green party being woken up to cast their vote against a living wage amendment proposal is almost like something you'd read on a satire website or see in the UK parliament or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Ryan has been nothing short of a disaster since the election. Won’t be getting my vote in the future. Greens in trouble long term I feel unless people’s memories fade or the govt does extremely well.

Their left leaning voters will see them a sellouts to FFG
    A pretty significant amount of people were extremely pissed off with their nonsense demands when considering whether to go into govt or not
    Their leader is a walking trainwreck yet looks likely to stay on in that role

I actually feel long term they’ll become less and less relevant. Most of the reasonable and important issues they stand for will be subsumed into mainstream politics as we become more environmentally aware as seen in other countries. What’s left will see the Greens go further and further to the radical extremities. The irrational ones who live in fantasy land

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Brand new East Belfast GAA playing their first match tonight. Fantastic example of what's possible with willing and some cross-community work. Delighted to see it.

Next stop, Falls Road RFC!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Ryan has been nothing short of a disaster since the election. Won’t be getting my vote in the future. Greens in trouble long term I feel unless people’s memories fade or the govt does extremely well.

Their left leaning voters will see them a sellouts to FFG
    A pretty significant amount of people were extremely pissed off with their nonsense demands when considering whether to go into govt or not
    Their leader is a walking trainwreck yet looks likely to stay on in that role

I actually feel long term they’ll become less and less relevant. Most of the reasonable and important issues they stand for will be subsumed into mainstream politics as we become more environmentally aware as seen in other countries. What’s left will see the Greens go further and further to the radical extremities. The irrational ones who live in fantasy land

I think your long term assessment is very possible.

Your view of Ryan is very harsh. He took over party with no TDs/MEPs and a handful of councillors. Rebuilt them entirely and led them to best ever locals and general election. Then made the hard choice to go into govt when the politically wise thing to do is obviously stay on sidelines. Far greater respect for him than Catherine Murphy and co.

He can put his foot in his mouth and yesterday was pretty bad optics (lot of unnecessary outrage however) but he’s evidently a capable guy.

• Advertisement

Ryan has unfortunately turned himself into a bit of a meme with a few high profile gaff's but it does definitely undermine what has been an impressive career in politics.

I suspect his days as leader are numbered now however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭OldRio

'Bad optics'????

FFS. You do know that he had to woken up to vote against improving the rights of low paid workers. Optics me fecking hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Eh, no Irish politics anyone?? ;)

Boris Johnson:
    “We have a world-beating test and trace system”

Patrick Vallance
    “our test and trace systems were hopelessly inadequate”

Who to believe? It’s a tough one
    The slow dance towards a whitewash inquiry begins. Doris Feckwit begins to line up his scapegoats. Sir Mark Sedwell, the head of teh Civil Service was sacked for trying to tell the truth. Johnson claims that he, Sedwell, drew up plan for the virus. Unfortunately Blowjob made a bit of an error this morning when he admitted that the science was advisory but that decisions based on that advice were ...well...his.

That will soon change of course. The decisions will not actually have been Dumbo's own brainwaves but those of the bunch of sycophants and imbeciles he brought in to his cabinet. In his own eyes and those of the Daily Fail he will be exonerated and Matt Handoncock, Raaaaaab, Goveslime and Priti F*cking Awful are to blame..

He probably should have stuck to the well polished lie that "we followed the science"... Well they didn't. Vallance himself has said that they advised the useless Porkspunk in February that they should introduce lockdown as a matter of urgency. 6,435 elderly patients were discharged from hospital with 4000+ untested into care homes from March 19. to April 16th YES. 6,435....In 4 weeks.. Patients with known Covid were sent to seed the catastrophe in care homes across the nation. These callous Tory scum flooded care homes with sick patients for no reason other than protecting Fatbastard's slogan.. 'Protect The Nhs'....The Tories didn't want our t.v. screens nightly to show the utter carnage that happened in Spain and Italy so they removed the problem to the thousands of private care homes well away from the prying eyes of the press.The NHS is there to protect us not the other way round. That is why we pay for the fecking thing.

What about Vallance? Well he never came across as the sharpest tool in the box. How it took him so long to figure out he was just a human shield for Burbling Billy Bunter speaks volumes. I think he has at last caught on that he was being suckered by a callous and vindictive oaf and he has begun to lay the grounds for his fight back. Someone has sewn a pair on to Vallace who is now via the Committee on Science in Westminster, laying the blame where it belongs...with Johnson and his gang of crooks. He was asked, " Was it true that there had never been any significant occasions when the government had ignored the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) advice."

The chief scientific advisor said his only job was to provide the government with the scientific evidence. What idiotic decisions happened to be taken as a result of that advice was completely up to the government. To suggest there was any correlation between the advice Sage might have given and government policy was absurd. Any overlap could only ever be a coincidence.

The Chairman ,Clark then gently tiptoed into trickier areas. The UK hadn’t had particularly good coronavirus outcomes – a euphemism for the highest mortality rate in the world – and it was hard to find any country that particularly admired the standard of our science. How did he account for that?

“The outcomes have not been good,” Vallance agreed. But that was entirely because the UK’s data flow had been poor and because our test and trace systems were hopelessly inadequate. He and other members of Sage had been complaining to Public Health England and the Department for Health and Social Care about this for months, but neither body had taken a blind piece of notice. Just as he had flagged up concerns about the risk of transmission in care homes and been totally ignored.

Face masks? Vallance was for them months ago but Bog****e wasn't interested. It wouldn't affect him so we wasn't interested.

The killer line came when Vallance insisted Sage had recommended an immediate total lockdown on 16 March.

He couldn’t understand why the government’s testing programme was still so rubbish as on current evidence Matt Hancock didn’t have a prayer of reaching his winter targets .All he had ever done was present the evidence as he saw it – even if he had been a bit slow on the uptake at times – and if the government had acted irresponsibly then it was nothing to do with him, Guv. Over to you Boris and Matt.

Of course the government throughout this crisis have conveniently stated that they have always followed the science when of course it only ever followed the science when it suited them which was extremely rare as the only thing they followed was their own ideological politics.

The government is in deep waters without a life raft. It was revealed by Sir Patrick Valance that lockdown was recommended by SAGE on the 16th of March. And last week independent sage estimated that the delay from the 13th of March to the 23rd of March, 10 days in all would be responsible for a very large number of deaths. Allowing three days for action, which is what it took Sage, that means a seven day delay. And Independent Sage actually estimated last week that a seven day delay would be responsible for a fourfold increase in deaths. It follows that the number of deaths were caused by this delay were therefore in the vicinity of 50,000+. In other words if lockdown has happened on the 16th of March instead of the 23rd 50,000 people who have died would still be alive.The fourfold increase is simply based upon the exponential rate of rise of infections that was doubling twice in a week, hence the fourfold increase. I had made the same estimate myself, rather larger than the number but a huge number of unnecessary deaths, however you interpret the statistics.

And this is the thing, when we could all see that there was a disconnect between SAGE and the Government, silence. Wouldn’t it have been great if Vallance had spoken out sooner and said what he is saying now? It stinks. It takes men and women with bloody balls to speak out in the moment not after the event. And what happen to that other scientist Jennie Harries? She was a total disgrace. I tell you who I would have loved to have been questioned, Professor Van Tam. He truly was the man of the moment.I said a long time ago that they obviously lack self respect. I would not have been able to keep my mouth shut had I been in that situation where I knew politics was being played in that way, regardless of if it was my party or not.He would have lost his job, but he'd have kept his self respect and gained the respect of others. There is a wealth of informed information coming out from Independent Sage. At first ridiculed by many but they kept presenting the science with not flag to fly or honour beyond that of their profession

SAGE,PHE, Vallance and Harries only have themselves to blame. They came across as forelock tugging sycophants as the promenade in front of the cameras for their 15 minutes of fame as Johnson and Hancock sniggered up their sleeves at them setting themselves up as patsies, fall guys, mugs. The naked transparency of the government was all too plain for all to see, how they couldn’t see it is beyond me. Advisers should have advised a lockdown a lot earlier than 16th March. As a bioscientist (retired) I followed the news and data from the UK and abroad. My wife and I started our self isolation on 29th February. If I could read the situation, and so could many of my ex- colleagues, why couldn't Vallance? I have no time for Johnson, but Vallance? He failed professionally to a large degree.

Then there is the fiasco over testing, the shortage of protective equipment, the tide of death surging through care homes and — crucially — the failure to lock down the country more quickly. Earlier that week, Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s iconoclastic chief adviser, told political colleagues in a Zoom call from the cabinet room — a none-too-subtle symbol of his power — that he would use the crisis to reshape the British state, adding: “A hard rain is coming.”

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jeez Jaco, how much time and energy goes into these posts?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

A hard rainreign is coming.

Stheno wrote: »
    Jeez Jaco, how much time and energy goes into these posts?

Not really a lot. I have a pretty eidetic memory so if I read or hear something it usually sticks. I was a science lecturer for years so creating documents etc is second nature. Most of the time is taken trying to think up new ways to describe, belittle and demean the current dosser in No. 10 Downing Strasse. :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jaco do you want to be my great-great grandad? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I also have an idiotic memory

I also have an idiotic memory

:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Boris Johnson:
    “We have a world-beating test and trace system”

Patrick Vallance
    “our test and trace systems were hopelessly inadequate”

Who to believe? It’s a tough one
    The slow dance towards a whitewash inquiry begins. Doris Feckwit begins to line up his scapegoats. Sir Mark Sedwell, the head of teh Civil Service was sacked for trying to tell the truth. Johnson claims that he, Sedwell, drew up plan for the virus. Unfortunately Blowjob made a bit of an error this morning when he admitted that the science was advisory but that decisions based on that advice were ...well...his.

That will soon change of course. The decisions will not actually have been Dumbo's own brainwaves but those of the bunch of sycophants and imbeciles he brought in to his cabinet. In his own eyes and those of the Daily Fail he will be exonerated and Matt Handoncock, Raaaaaab, Goveslime and Priti F*cking Awful are to blame..

He probably should have stuck to the well polished lie that "we followed the science"... Well they didn't. Vallance himself has said that they advised the useless Porkspunk in February that they should introduce lockdown as a matter of urgency. 6,435 elderly patients were discharged from hospital with 4000+ untested into care homes from March 19. to April 16th YES. 6,435....In 4 weeks.. Patients with known Covid were sent to seed the catastrophe in care homes across the nation. These callous Tory scum flooded care homes with sick patients for no reason other than protecting Fatbastard's slogan.. 'Protect The Nhs'....The Tories didn't want our t.v. screens nightly to show the utter carnage that happened in Spain and Italy so they removed the problem to the thousands of private care homes well away from the prying eyes of the press.The NHS is there to protect us not the other way round. That is why we pay for the fecking thing.

What about Vallance? Well he never came across as the sharpest tool in the box. How it took him so long to figure out he was just a human shield for Burbling Billy Bunter speaks volumes. I think he has at last caught on that he was being suckered by a callous and vindictive oaf and he has begun to lay the grounds for his fight back. Someone has sewn a pair on to Vallace who is now via the Committee on Science in Westminster, laying the blame where it belongs...with Johnson and his gang of crooks. He was asked, " Was it true that there had never been any significant occasions when the government had ignored the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) advice."

The chief scientific advisor said his only job was to provide the government with the scientific evidence. What idiotic decisions happened to be taken as a result of that advice was completely up to the government. To suggest there was any correlation between the advice Sage might have given and government policy was absurd. Any overlap could only ever be a coincidence.

The Chairman ,Clark then gently tiptoed into trickier areas. The UK hadn’t had particularly good coronavirus outcomes – a euphemism for the highest mortality rate in the world – and it was hard to find any country that particularly admired the standard of our science. How did he account for that?

“The outcomes have not been good,” Vallance agreed. But that was entirely because the UK’s data flow had been poor and because our test and trace systems were hopelessly inadequate. He and other members of Sage had been complaining to Public Health England and the Department for Health and Social Care about this for months, but neither body had taken a blind piece of notice. Just as he had flagged up concerns about the risk of transmission in care homes and been totally ignored.

Face masks? Vallance was for them months ago but Bog****e wasn't interested. It wouldn't affect him so we wasn't interested.

The killer line came when Vallance insisted Sage had recommended an immediate total lockdown on 16 March.

He couldn’t understand why the government’s testing programme was still so rubbish as on current evidence Matt Hancock didn’t have a prayer of reaching his winter targets .All he had ever done was present the evidence as he saw it – even if he had been a bit slow on the uptake at times – and if the government had acted irresponsibly then it was nothing to do with him, Guv. Over to you Boris and Matt.

Of course the government throughout this crisis have conveniently stated that they have always followed the science when of course it only ever followed the science when it suited them which was extremely rare as the only thing they followed was their own ideological politics.

The government is in deep waters without a life raft. It was revealed by Sir Patrick Valance that lockdown was recommended by SAGE on the 16th of March. And last week independent sage estimated that the delay from the 13th of March to the 23rd of March, 10 days in all would be responsible for a very large number of deaths. Allowing three days for action, which is what it took Sage, that means a seven day delay. And Independent Sage actually estimated last week that a seven day delay would be responsible for a fourfold increase in deaths. It follows that the number of deaths were caused by this delay were therefore in the vicinity of 50,000+. In other words if lockdown has happened on the 16th of March instead of the 23rd 50,000 people who have died would still be alive.The fourfold increase is simply based upon the exponential rate of rise of infections that was doubling twice in a week, hence the fourfold increase. I had made the same estimate myself, rather larger than the number but a huge number of unnecessary deaths, however you interpret the statistics.

And this is the thing, when we could all see that there was a disconnect between SAGE and the Government, silence. Wouldn’t it have been great if Vallance had spoken out sooner and said what he is saying now? It stinks. It takes men and women with bloody balls to speak out in the moment not after the event. And what happen to that other scientist Jennie Harries? She was a total disgrace. I tell you who I would have loved to have been questioned, Professor Van Tam. He truly was the man of the moment.I said a long time ago that they obviously lack self respect. I would not have been able to keep my mouth shut had I been in that situation where I knew politics was being played in that way, regardless of if it was my party or not.He would have lost his job, but he'd have kept his self respect and gained the respect of others. There is a wealth of informed information coming out from Independent Sage. At first ridiculed by many but they kept presenting the science with not flag to fly or honour beyond that of their profession

SAGE,PHE, Vallance and Harries only have themselves to blame. They came across as forelock tugging sycophants as the promenade in front of the cameras for their 15 minutes of fame as Johnson and Hancock sniggered up their sleeves at them setting themselves up as patsies, fall guys, mugs. The naked transparency of the government was all too plain for all to see, how they couldn’t see it is beyond me. Advisers should have advised a lockdown a lot earlier than 16th March. As a bioscientist (retired) I followed the news and data from the UK and abroad. My wife and I started our self isolation on 29th February. If I could read the situation, and so could many of my ex- colleagues, why couldn't Vallance? I have no time for Johnson, but Vallance? He failed professionally to a large degree.

Then there is the fiasco over testing, the shortage of protective equipment, the tide of death surging through care homes and — crucially — the failure to lock down the country more quickly. Earlier that week, Dominic Cummings, Johnson’s iconoclastic chief adviser, told political colleagues in a Zoom call from the cabinet room — a none-too-subtle symbol of his power — that he would use the crisis to reshape the British state, adding: “A hard rain is coming.”

https://twitter.com/bydonkeys/status/1282915698604376064?s=21

Not sure if you saw this, but thought you’d like it.

stephen_n wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/bydonkeys/status/1282915698604376064?s=21

Not sure if you saw this, but thought you’d like it.

The worst thing about this is - it's all in the public domain and this is in no way sensationalist. This is a run down of what actually was allowed to happen in nine utterly damning minutes.

And if there was an election today - this same Government would still win a 50 seat majority.

I really worry that the same disconnect between who people think they are voting for and who they are actually voting for happens here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jaco, would you have any thoughts on the anatomy of Johnson's idiocy?

To me, the most striking aspect of his behaviour mirrors Trump; that is, he chronically needs to make an immediate positive impression, regardless of who he's talking to. To hell with whatever the original plan may have been, if one person in the room doesn't like it, he flip flops to try please them (the hand-shaking press conference is a great example).

While this chronic desire to please may look like narcissism, some scholars would instead frame it as a low grade psychosis. You can't form a stable model of the world in your mind, and instead respond impulsively to short-term opportunities of reward. If you primarily operate in social setting, this becomes chronic people pleasing. If you're instead more withdrawn, you may turn to other reward sources like substance abuse and the like.

Trump may not be any less psychotic, however he emits far stronger evidence of pure narcissism in his behaviour. Trump needs constant reassurance that he's the best, that he's the smartest. The one thing he will never tolerate is laughter aimed at him. Johnson seems less self-obsessed when clamouring to make everyone in the room happy, often, in fact, deliberately making a fool of himself.

(mfceiling you can go away and f*** yourself if you come near me with that Homer picture again :pac:)

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Jaco, would you have any thoughts on the anatomy of Johnson's idiocy?

To me, the most striking aspect of his behaviour mirrors Trump; that is, he chronically needs to make an immediate positive impression, regardless of who he's talking to. To hell with whatever the original plan may have been, if one person in the room doesn't like it, he flip flops to try please them (the hand-shaking press conference is a great example).

While this chronic desire to please may look like narcissism, some scholars would instead frame it as a low grade psychosis. You can't form a stable model of the world in your mind, and instead respond impulsively to short-term opportunities of reward. If you primarily operate in social setting, this becomes chronic people pleasing. If you're instead more withdrawn, you may turn to other reward sources like substance abuse and the like.

Trump may not be any less psychotic, however he emits far stronger evidence of pure narcissism in his behaviour. Trump needs constant reassurance that he's the best, that he's the smartest. The one thing he will never tolerate is laughter aimed at him. Johnson seems less self-obsessed when clamouring to make everyone in the room happy, often, in fact, deliberately making a fool of himself.

(mfceiling you can go away and f*** yourself if you come near me with that Homer picture again :pac:)

Spot on. I believe Johnson has never been made responsible for any of his actions since childhood. We can see that for example in the careless and immoral way he has impregnated 6 different women, even going to court to try to deny the paternity of a daughter. He has been indulged all his life, even being given a job on the Spectator by the influence of a relative. He has never had to work in his life so why should he start now. Apparently, when Cummings wanted Sir Mark Sedwill fired, Bonzo Blobby had to be dragged from a barbecue in No 10 to sign the sacking letter.

From the FT

https://www.ft.com/content/aa53173b-eb39-4055-b112-0001c1f6de1b

Boris Johnson was enjoying a Sunday barbecue at 10 Downing Street when the blame game over Britain’s handling of the Covid-19 crisis formally began. News was leaking that he was about to oust the head of the civil service, Mark Sedwill, after months of tensions and hostile briefings over the way the country had dealt with the virus. By June 28, it was clear the UK was facing one of the worst death rates and biggest economic disasters of any major economy. Advisers urged the prime minister to drag himself away from the garden to formalise Sedwill’s departure immediately. Johnson wiped his hands and disappeared inside to scrawl a handwritten note confirming that, after little more than two years in his post, the security expert would be leaving. Amid the sloping text of the two-page letter, laden with praise for the official he was effectively sacking, Johnson added ominously that Sedwill was “instrumental” in drawing up the country’s plan to deal with coronavirus."

He gets rid of a man who was trying to rein him in and at the same time sets him up as a scapegoat. Bunter is too thick to come up with that himself.

Jacothelad, I'm intrigued by your points and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Jacothelad, I'm intrigued by your points and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I could PM you a link but your message box is full. Make some room......:D

His inbox is full of angry but detailed take downs from Buer that continue to go unread.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

His inbox is full of angry but detailed take downs from Buer that continue to go unread.

Each one more passive aggressive than the last.

I can confirm that jacothelad's newsletter is a magical place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mine is open, just sayin' . I also enjoy your increasingly inventive descriptions of your favourite politicians ;)

Advertisement