Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I also would be interested in subscribing to jaco news

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bazzo wrote: »

Same here

He should find a general discussion thread on a popular forum and post them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jaco needs a Parler account.

Sorry to post a Fox news link but this really is an unbelievable 13 minutes of unfiltered craziness.

Fox have really done a number on him here - he is gone, his staff are having to clean up for him mid broadcast.

Murdoch has either grown a conscience or they are setting up the insanity plea.

Absolutely unhinged.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/transcript-fox-news-sunday-interview-with-president-trump

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sorry to post a Fox news link but this really is an unbelievable 13 minutes of unfiltered craziness.

Fox have really done a number on him here - he is gone, his staff are having to clean up for him mid broadcast.

Absolutely unhinged.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/transcript-fox-news-sunday-interview-with-president-trump

You know what I always find odd? How much makeup US news presenters wear. Your man has been powdered to the max there. His face is so matte it's incredible. Who has a matte face like that? Nobody. Nobody has a matte face.

• Administrators Posts: 53,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

On a more serious note, I am amazed Trump's team let him do an interview like that, where they can't control the questions and he can be pushed to answer. Where he can be challenged on the facts.

The guy is clearly a few sandwiches short of a buffet and it's all too easy for interviewers to run rings round him, while he's being asked questions Donald's head is still trying to work out the answer to the question asked 2 or 3 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Absolutely unhinged.

Nah

Chris Wallace has always been their counterpoint to criticism that they’re not a serious news organisation.

The interview he did with Jon Stewart years ago where Stewart accused him of exactly that was great television. This is just another example of that. https://youtu.be/UYbtUztVctI

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I especially loved the bit about the cognitive test that Trump said he passed brilliantly.
    Wallace: "I took the test too. It's not hard. They show you a picture and ask you to identify it and it's an elephant"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Sure, but it's still softball bull**** from Fox. At one point Trump calls for figures from his aide, and Fox let him show a page with virtually nothing on it, without contradicting him for being blatantly wrong. They provide some wishy washy some better some worse **** that isn't relevant to what Trump claimed. **** Fox, end of story.

• Advertisement

Sure, but it's still softball bull**** from Fox. At one point Trump calls for figures from his aide, and Fox let him show a page with virtually nothing on it, without contradicting him for being blatantly wrong. They provide some wishy washy some better some worse **** that isn't relevant to what Trump claimed. **** Fox, end of story.

I concur with the **** Fox, but really what could even the hardest hitting liberal pittbull add at that point? Is anyone watching Trump frantically calling for figures and thinking he is all but losing the plot?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I concur with the **** Fox, but really what could even the hardest hitting liberal pittbull add at that point? Is anyone watching Trump frantically calling for figures and thinking he is all but losing the plot?

When it comes to Trump, there's three camps. One, regular rational people who already see him for what he is. Two, those (tools) who support him and the GOP and will never change their mind regardles. Neither of those will be affected by that video.

Three, the few who make the difference, but are still a minority, who (for some weird reason) are undecided. Not absolutely nailing Trump and his party's bull**** to the wall with facts when he comes out with it gives him legitimacy with that third crowd. It plays on the "experts huh, maybe he's right" idea, or "who knows what the facts actually are" narrative, and Fox and the right wing thrive on that grey area. Those are the ones you want to capture by absolutely working figures to death. You don't move on, you don't let him off, you don't change the subject until the figures side of things is absolutely shown to your audience to be completely at odds with what Trump says.

(Yeah, I know this is a simplistic take, but we're talking about Fox here, to be fair)

When it comes to Trump, there's three camps. One, regular rational people who already see him for what he is. Two, those (tools) who support him and the GOP and will never change their mind regardles. Neither of those will be affected by that video.

Three, the few who make the difference, but are still a minority, who (for some weird reason) are undecided. Not absolutely nailing Trump and his party's bull**** to the wall with facts when he comes out with it gives him legitimacy with that third crowd. It plays on the "experts huh, maybe he's right" idea, or "who knows what the facts actually are" narrative, and Fox and the right wing thrive on that grey area. Those are the ones you want to capture by absolutely working figures to death. You don't move on, you don't let him off, you don't change the subject until the figures side of things is absolutely shown to your audience to be completely at odds with what Trump says.

I actually think Wallace played it perfectly. Set him up to lie, let's Trump think he's backing down (so Trump thinks he's won and/or doesn't storm off set) and then absolutely nails him with the overlay in post-production.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I actually think Wallace played it perfectly. Set him up to lie, let's Trump think he's backing down (so Trump thinks he's won and/or doesn't storm off set) and then absolutely nails him with the overlay in post-production.

Surely Trump has tweeted about this by now... Anyone know?
    (twitter not my thing at all, apologies for laziness)

kuang1 wrote: »
    Surely Trump has tweeted about this by now... Anyone know?
    (twitter not my thing at all, apologies for laziness)

He doesn't strike me as being in reality anymore. You can see he only tolerates good news from his handlers. Watching that clip reminded me of an old Twilight Zone episode where a six year old has godlike powers and can mind read and the entire world has to obey him. Anyone who stands up to him in anyway gets removed from existence. The Simpsons copied the episode for one of their Halloween episodes.

Trump is the six year old without the powers. He has over 6000 nuclear warheads however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Panorama doing a show on the UK response in the early days of Covid. Absolutely terrifying, even in hindsight.

He doesn't strike me as being in reality anymore. You can see he only tolerates good news from his handlers. Watching that clip reminded me of an old Twilight Zone episode where a six year old has godlike powers and can mind read and the entire world has to obey him. Anyone who stands up to him in anyway gets removed from existence. The Simpsons copied the episode for one of their Halloween episodes.

Trump is the six year old without the powers. He has over 6000 nuclear warheads however.

The nukes are thankfully not a major concern, since he has surely lost all credibility with high ranking Pentagon officials who would need to enact his orders. Look at the misfits he needed to round up to even go into Portland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Panorama doing a show on the UK response in the early days of Covid. Absolutely terrifying, even in hindsight.

It will all be whitewashed by a poisonous, self-serving bunch of crooks backed up by millions of mouth breathers with the intellectual capacity of a ruptured maggot.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Mine is open, just sayin' . I also enjoy your increasingly inventive descriptions of your favourite politicians ;)
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Stheno wrote: »
    Same here

Great but it isn't tender and loving.......:D:D

Matt Handoncock, Health Scapegoat and amateur haemorrhoid was forced into making a Commons statement following Boris The Bewildered’s rather optimistic, "We'll all be home by Christmas" drivel. Pinnochio Blunder Bunter gave a Santa Claus press conference last week saying the UK would basically be back to normal in time for Christmas. Shades of 1914 as the fuhkwit's nose grows and grows with every stupid utterance. Presumably the technophobic scrote masquerading as prime minister still hasn’t got round to reading the report from the Academy of Medical Sciences that suggested the country could be facing a further 120,000 deaths over the course of the winter. It contains sentences that have more than three words in them. This throws the ruptured goat's testicle in No. 10 into blind panic until he gets the real P.M. Dominic Coming and Going to give him a happy ending by reading a chapter of Noddy and Big Ears to him just like Nanny used to do.
    Matt Handjob looked defeated from the start as he tried to channel Mr Blooby's mindless optimism. The track-and-trace system was working brilliantly he lied because it had managed to track down 180,000 while missing an equal number of contacts. Realising that was the only even vaguely good news on offer, Handoncock tried to claim the early reported successes of the Oxford and Imperial vaccine trials as a triumph for the government, rather than for the scientists. “We have a plan and it is working,” he said, fooling no one but himself.

• Advertisement

Possibly some better news.....a vaccine that shows promise in producing antibodies. Phase one human trials of a Covid-19 vaccine being developed by researchers at the University of Oxford suggest it triggers two types of immune response. Not only does the jab trigger the production of antibodies – proteins that can bind to the virus, preventing it from entering cells and flagging it to immune cells – but it also seems to result in the production of “killer” T cells – immune cells that attack infected human cells.

What about in the mean time? Treating those before a vaccine arrives.

Trials of an experimental drug inhaled by patients have found a significant reduction in hospital patients with Covid-19 needing to be put on a ventilator or dying from the disease, according to researchers
    The drug, called SNG001, is delivered via an inhaler and is based on interferon beta, a protein produced naturally in the body that plays an important role in coordinating the body’s antiviral response.
    Researchers have announced the results of an initial trial which found the odds of Covid-19 patients needing ventilation, or dying, while being treated in hospital were reduced by 79% among those given SNG001 compared with those given a placebo.
    What is more, the team behind the trial say those given the drug were just over twice as likely to show “no limitation of activities” or “no clinical or virological evidence of infection” during the 16-day study period – in other words, the chance of recovery was boosted. Those given the drug also showed a reduction in breathlessness.
    SNG001 is not the first drug to show promise in treating coronavirus patients: a cheap steroid called dexamethasone has previously been shown to reduce deaths in those requiring help with breathing, while the antiviral drug Remdesivir cuts recovery time.
    While Remdesivir was thought to be focused on coronaviruses, SNG001 has a more general effect, meaning it may also benefit patients with winter viruses such as flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

jacothelad wrote: »
    Matt Handoncock, Health Scapegoat and amateur haemorrhoid was forced into making a Commons statement following Boris The Bewildered’s rather optimistic, "We'll all be home by Christmas" drivel. Pinnochio Blunder Bunter gave a Santa Claus press conference last week saying the UK would basically be back to normal in time for Christmas. Shades of 1914 as the fuhkwit's nose grows and grows with every stupid utterance. Presumably the technophobic scrote masquerading as prime minister still hasn’t got round to reading the report from the Academy of Medical Sciences that suggested the country could be facing a further 120,000 deaths over the course of the winter. It contains sentences that have more than three words in them. This throws the ruptured goat's testicle in No. 10 into blind panic until he gets the real P.M. Dominic Coming and Going to give him a happy ending by reading a chapter of Noddy and Big Ears to him just like Nanny used to do.
    Matt Handjob looked defeated from the start as he tried to channel Mr Blooby's mindless optimism. The track-and-trace system was working brilliantly he lied because it had managed to track down 180,000 while missing an equal number of contacts. Realising that was the only even vaguely good news on offer, Handoncock tried to claim the early reported successes of the Oxford and Imperial vaccine trials as a triumph for the government, rather than for the scientists. “We have a plan and it is working,” he said, fooling no one but himself.

My favourite to date Jaco. Pinochio Blunder Bunter is genius. If I could thank that more than once I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Is the remdesivir drug the one that American basically bought the entire world's supply?

If and it's a big IF what are the chances of a pharmaceutical company being able to get enough of it to market to provide a worldwide amount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

mfceiling wrote: »
    Is the remdesivir drug the one that American basically bought the entire world's supply?

If and it's a big IF what are the chances of a pharmaceutical company being able to get enough of it to market to provide a worldwide amount?

Yes, they bought up a huge chunk of it.

TBH, remdesivir is no miracle cure, it certainly won't allow us to relax Covid restrictions even if it's freely available. SNG001 has encouraging results but again, it's no wonder drug - the headline results look good but the data is very close to being statisically insignificant. This might just be a result of the small numbers of patients in the trial, and this is the problem - we need time to run large, long studies to really establish treatment efficacy and the one thing we don't have is time.

Yes, they bought up a huge chunk of it.

TBH, remdesivir is no miracle cure, it certainly won't allow us to relax Covid restrictions even if it's freely available. SNG001 has encouraging results but again, it's no wonder drug - the headline results look good but the data is very close to being statisically insignificant. This might just be a result of the small numbers of patients in the trial, and this is the problem - we need time to run large, long studies to really establish treatment efficacy and the one thing we don't have is time.

I suspect that the real good news is the discovery that Covid stops or reduces the normal production of Interferon beta-1a and replacing it is possible. Yes, there is no magic bullet for Covid, rather there is an increasing number of minor tweaks to in-hospital treatments developed across the board that have improved outcomes quite a lot. In Texas for example, their range of treatments have reduced fatalities dramatically among the most vulnerable with a claimed 96% survivor rate. These additional drugs will further help. The big problem in the USA, Brazil etc is the utter stupidity of Trump and his crooked henchonanists. They enable the eruption of the spread of the virus and the cretins in the individual states seem too stupid to understand what is happening around them. Even BloJob and Handoncock aren't as terminally daft....well maybe not...but it's a close run thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Hundreds (thousands?) of people have converged on the Walkinstown roundabout today for Jack Charlton's funeral. Like, he meant a lot to the people of Ireland, but have we completely forgotten about social distancing and the killer virus that's out there?

https://twitter.com/Corktod/status/1285538182793236486?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Morons. It looks like a significant number of people there weren't even born during Italia '90.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Whoever organised that is a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Jesus h Christ.

And yer man on the loudspeaker taunting the crowd with: "we can't hear you!".

So let's make this mass gathering of idiots shout and sing even louder to REALLY expel those droplets a good distance. Ffs.

Edit: And as we're at it. Fcuk you Tony O Donoghue for fanning the flames.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Whoever organised that is a clown.

It's well attended so I think we can rule out the FAI.

Advertisement