Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,234 ✭✭✭✭Buer

If they just actually enforced the 2 weeks it would hugely cut the travel. Make it absolutely necessary and unavoidable. Im doing it right now and it’s awful

But you have us, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

At what point are you over the virus and cannot spread it further? Do you get another test once you feel better?

You are at your most infectious around the time that symptoms appear, when the virus is most concentrated in your upper respiratory tract and therefore most likely to be thrown out when you sneeze/cough/talk/shout.

As time goes on, your body either gets rid of the virus (mild case) or concentrates deeper in your lungs (not good) and so either way you're less likely to pass it on.

The advice to isolate for 14 days after your symptoms resolve is probably conservative but that's a good thing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Is there a rugby equivalent of Manchester United? Play a great attacking brand of football when the pressure is off, but as soon as Champions League qualification/an FA Cup final place is on offer, they bottle it.

You are at your most infectious around the time that symptoms appear, when the virus is most concentrated in your upper respiratory tract and therefore most likely to be thrown out when you sneeze/cough/talk/shout.

As time goes on, your body either gets rid of the virus (mild case) or concentrates deeper in your lungs (not good) and so either way you're less likely to pass it on.

The advice to isolate for 14 days after your symptoms resolve is probably conservative but that's a good thing IMO.

Cheers. I realised after asking that this is definitely something I should know already.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »
    Is there a rugby equivalent of Manchester United? Play a great attacking brand of football when the pressure is off, but as soon as Champions League qualification/an FA Cup final place is on offer, they bottle it.

Clermont up until a few years ago were famous for butchering finals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Leinster pre 09...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Invariably the problem you will have with those deciding to go ahead and take holidays is that Irish travel advice is not consistent with advice from pretty much the rest of the continent. The Italians are happy for you to go there, and they are happy for their citizens to travel abroad and return there.

In Dunnes today, I'd say 85% had masks on. Saw a lot of kids with masks on, have gotten masks for my lads also which they wear anywhere indoors in public.

Do their fans relentlessly overhype their players too?

If so, I think we're talking about Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Do their fans relentlessly overhype their players too?

If so, I think we're talking about Ulster

Roger Wilson was twice the player Heaslip was but never got picked....something, something Leinster bias.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The All Blacks from 1987 till 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Surely Leinster from early 2000s to 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

stephen_n wrote: »
    Is that the same interferon they use for treating hepatitis C?

Hep/C is treated with a weekly dose of pegylated interferon-α (IFN-α).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

jacothelad wrote: »
    Hep/C is treated with a weekly dose of pegylated interferon-α (IFN-α).

...back in the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I was going to make a joke about pegylated interfering but it read too much like Venjur

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Tech experts - what company would provide the most bang for my buck with a linux-based notebook/laptop?

I primarily need RAM and processing speed/power. Graphics and HD capacity is less important.

It can be a hideous lump of a thing if needed; I'm wfh using an external monitor.

My evening googling is settling on a lenovo x1 carbon gen 8.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My personal laptop is a Lenovo, albeit windows based.

It's decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Depends what the use case is really!

Neil3030 wrote: »

I have one from work, lovely piece of kit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

image-asset.jpeg

I was gonna suggest lenovo too but haven't bought a laptop in ages so wasn't sure. My work laptop is lenovo running Linux. Lenovo are the opposite of apple in my mind. Ugly and functional.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We've been looking at trying to swing a couple of them as dev laptops in my place, lovely pieces of kit (not aesthetically though)

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I had one of the earlier generations of the X1, it was great except for this absolutely stupid touchbar they replaced the function keys with. It was absolutely rubbish cause it never had the keys you want and you had to cycle through the options.

I think they removed it again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

I had a dream last night and this ad was on TV in the dream.
    Can't get it out of my head since.
    This is a cathartic post.

https://youtu.be/wYj5o4kQsXs

Depends what the use case is really!

Primarily programming, data analysis etc.

Thanks for all the feedback. One review says the gen 7 is basically the gen 8, so save the few quid and go with the former. Would people agree?

Thanks for all the feedback. One review says the gen 7 is basically the gen 8, so save the few quid and go with the former. Would people agree?

Pretty much the exact same function wise, just a later gen processor but shouldn't be much in the difference.

Just make sure to max out RAM on the config you buy, or at least get as much as you can because it's soldered so no upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Pretty much the exact same function wise, just a later gen processor but shouldn't be much in the difference.

Just make sure to max out RAM on the config you buy, or at least get as much as you can because it's soldered so no upgrading.

That’s the most annoying bollox from manufacturers.

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    That’s the most annoying bollox from manufacturers.

Yup it's absolutely ridiculous. But it's one of the trade-offs for the whole race to the thinnest form factor shíte (which I've also never really understood). And it means they get to also charge outrageous prices to bump up the ram.

Advertisement