Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

stephen_n wrote: »
    That’s the most annoying bollox from manufacturers.

Its ridiculous - there is no justifiable reason for it. Though messing around with the interior of laptops is no fun anyway.

My computer started randomly turning itself off every 2 minutes yesterday. Cue taking every single component out of it and putting it back in (a hard turning it off and on) and its back up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What's the benefit for a manufacturer to solder it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

System 76 seem to offer a fairly affordable alternative option, for an absolute beast of a machine:

~$2500 for:

17 inch screen
    i7 10th gen 5.1Gz (8 core)
    64GB dual channel DDR4 3200Mhz
    1 TB NVMe

• Administrators Posts: 53,838 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Saves space and weight and they can place it anywhere on the board, they don't have to have it in an accessible location.

It's also less likely to cause problems.

Most people will never upgrade RAM on a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Forces you to upgrade at source, rather than having to option to buy cheaper ram at later stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Dunney848

Just bought a Dell Inspiron 7000, 17.3 Inch screen, i7 Processor, 16 GB of RAM and Solid State Storage or SSD. My old Dell was a cheapy for 400 8 years ago.

I started up for work the other morning and it started flicking the internet on and off rapidly. I only found that out when I contacted IT in my firm and they went through half a day trying to resolve.

I had been wanting to get one for day trading so am smitten with the new purchase. €1,670 it cost. Have bought Altec Lansing surround sound for when I watch French rugby on Canal on IPTV this season

• Registered Users Posts: 12,821 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyone know what day summer is on this year?

Got 3 or 4 days last year so that will do us until 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

I've been saying this for weeks now. We didn't sacrifice any teenagers to the Leaving Cert Gods this year so we can't expect any sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Thought for the day.

It really is a Boris in Blunderland world.

Useless knob boil, Quasibojo, hunch backed arsewipe and the cowardly criminal, crawling f&ckwits he surrounded himself with have made it clear that they have no interest in the future of people like me.

Johnson and Cummings both claim an expert knowledge of history. They should have learned that the days when the UK could "threaten" the rest of Europe with the consequences of failing to give the UK what it wanted are almost as far away as the Opium Wars. But then I think Johnson is incapable of remembering anything that needs more then 3 words.

If you had told Margaret Thatcher that her party would crash out of the worlds biggest free trade region over an argument about fish, cosy up to a crypto-fascist USA regime, allow Russia to trample all over the mechanism of government, then pick an avoidable fight with China, she might question the competency of those concerned, especially in the area of foreign diplomacy.

Then again, she wouldn't have given jobs to clowns like Johnson the cheat, Dominic Draab and the rest.

37% of the eligible electorate fell for the lies and misrepresentations of a rag-tag bunch of swivel-eyed loons, liars, chancers and shills for global tax-avoiders in a referendum that should never have been allowed to happen and which was carried out after the passing of a piece of immensely-flawed legislation.That it never specified that any change should be subject to an absolute majority of the electorate being in favour of rejecting the status quo was moronic and devastatingly stupid.

The referendum should have required 50%+ of the electorate to vote leave, not a simple majority. We have left the EU on the say of 37% ...or just above one third of the electorate. Almost two thirds did not vote to leave.

We have a nasty bastard Tory government filled with white collar crooks elected on 29.6% 0f the total electorate.

We have a lying, cheating scum bag elected as P.M. by 105,000 Tory members ,...or less than one quarter of one percent of the the electorate. 99.78% of the electorate had no say in his election,

If this is a 'representative' democracy, Boris Johnson has never lied, never cheated on his wife and children, never shagged a pole dancer, never gave her £100,000, never failed to use a condom, never spaffed £50,000,000 away on an invisible bridge, never wasted £900,000,000 on the wrong buses or millions on water cannon, is actually correct on Brexit and is a man of honour.....Which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

jacothelad wrote: »
    We have a lying, cheating scum bag elected as P.M. by 105,000 Tory members ,...or less than one quarter of one percent of the the electorate. 99.78% of the electorate had no say in his election,

29.6% of the electorate shouldn't have voted Tory then. They knew what they were getting, and if they didn't, they weren't looking hard enough (and by hard enough, I mean at all). Ignorance is no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The main issue I'm noticing is stubbornness among the electorate now. People who I know voted remain saying that the vote is done and Brexit has to go through now, and they want it done because they're sick of hearing about it.

It's completely bat**** and a point of view I can't wrap my head around but it's very widespread and how the Tories swept the election from what I can see with their moronic "get brexit done! Ignore everything else! Get brexit done!" Strategy. How people who, as I mentioned previously, would have voted remain actually trust them to do what they say after the last few years I will never understand.

Brexit has happened. A fact that Johnson is more than happy to ignore in order to bring everything back to "remainer elites who want to stop Brexit" because that is all he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Brexit has happened. A fact that Johnson is more than happy to ignore in order to bring everything back to "remainer elites who want to stop Brexit" because that is all he has.

Yes it's happened but the exit terms and future relationship have not been settled at all, the people I'm talking about are happy to give the Tories free reign to do as they please with it just so they don't have to keep hearing about it. It's mental.

Well, wanting everything done as they are sick of hearing about it is obviously mad. But the Tories have an 80 (well, 78 now) seat majority and are entirely governed by ideologues. Whatever is going to happen with Brexit is more or less going to happen. I wouldn't begrudge resigned acceptance at this point.

My wife and I are actively considering moving back to Ireland....Donegal to be exact. We have spent about £80,000 on doing up the house here and we certainly would not recoup all of that in a sale but right now it would be worth it.

Ireland should try annex Anglesey for the criac. Just to see if the UK govt are even awake. A few under 21 hurling teams should do the trick. Send them over on the Ulysses armed with empty Bulmers bottles, travelling in armour plated Hiace vans. Try take RAF Mona while EastEnders is on, then it's a clear run to Menai Bridge.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Ireland should try annex Anglesey for the criac. Just to see if the UK govt are even awake. A few under 21 hurling teams should do the trick. Send them over on the Ulysses armed with empty Bulmers bottles, travelling in armour plated Hiace vans. Try take RAF Mona while EastEnders is on, then it's a clear run to Menai Bridge.

I lived in a village called Benllech on Anglesey in the early 70s. It's a nice place. I used to walk along the shore to a hotel called the Min-Y-Don, get lit up on very passable Guinness and hope the tide was still out to walk back. Got caught out a few times and it took for ever to stumble home via the roads. I discovered the area while doing a thesis partially involving Wylfa Nuclear Power Station a former Magnox power station situated west of Cemaes Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Could always say that the lads got the wrong Bangor when they entered it into Google Maps if they got caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Could always say that the lads got the wrong Bangor when they entered it into Google Maps if they got caught.

"Hey, were you guys trying to invade Wales?"

"No, sorry, we were trying to invade Northern Ireland."

"Jolly good, carry on chaps"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Send Bojo a letter thanking him for ceding the territory to us and he’ll probably think he did and forgot and be too embarrassed to disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The Hurling teams would probably be more welcome in Anglesey than certain parts of Bangor

jacothelad wrote: »
    I lived in a village called Benllech on Anglesey in the early 70s. It's a nice place. I used to walk along the shore to a hotel called the Min-Y-Don, get lit up on very passable Guinness and hope the tide was still out to walk back. Got caught out a few times and it took for ever to stumble home via the roads. I discovered the area while doing a thesis partially involving Wylfa Nuclear Power Station a former Magnox power station situated west of Cemaes Bay.

Spent a few very happy years living across the straight in Gwynedd myself. Would regularly come over to Ynys Mon; The Oyster Catcher near Rhosneigr was one of our favourites. Did you ever fly on the vomit comet down to Cardiff?

Send Bojo a letter thanking him for ceding the territory to us and he’ll probably think he did and forgot and be too embarrassed to disagree

Guaranteed to work if you weave in random nationalist slogans:

"You're a hero to the Kingdom, Boris. Brussels won't know what hit them. Bunting for all!"

American sports is in some disarray. Baseball returned behind close doors but some games had to be cancelled due to positive cases within teams. Following an opt-out option for NFL players being agreed, a number have already exercised it with more to surely follow. The NFL regular season is set to start in September but that's looking unlikely.

Yeah I was very skeptical the NFL would come back this year. The sheer volume of people needed to play a game, even without a crowd - you're probably talking ~200 people per team. Then all the media people on top of that. Each game would have the potential to be a super-spreading event, even before you consider the risks of personal contact during the game, etc.

I dunno. I'd be quite surprised if the season doesn't start. The money is just too much.

Would be a lot more skeptical about it finishing however.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm surprised the NBA is still ploughing ahead in Orlando, considering there's been plenty of reports of players leaving the bubble, reports of players calling women in with the view that other players will turn a blind eye to it and they'd a fair few cases going into it when they first started testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OldRio

College Football is basically tearing itself to pieces over the coming season.
    Different teams within different conferences all with various ideas or none in how the season will progress.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was very skeptical the NFL would come back this year. The sheer volume of people needed to play a game, even without a crowd - you're probably talking ~200 people per team. Then all the media people on top of that. Each game would have the potential to be a super-spreading event, even before you consider the risks of personal contact during the game, etc.

Add in the minority of those 200 people who will misbehave or think Covid is a hoax etc and end up infecting everyone else.

Advertisement