Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Buer wrote: »
    Really depends on where you are. My local supermarket is at about 90% when I'm there. Town today was at around 50-60%. I was on my way west last week and stopped for a bit in Longford. I was getting odd looks from people and was the only one in a mask.

It was Longford. They were probably staring at you because it had been ages since they'd seen someone they weren't related to.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    It was Longford. They were probably staring at you because it had been ages since they'd seen someone they weren't related to.

Are you confusing Longford with Leitrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you confusing Longford with Leitrim?

Same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,234 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Same thing.

In reality, Leitrim is a vastly more pleasant place than Longford.

Longford town is the armpit of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

In reality, Leitrim is a vastly more pleasant place than Longford.

Jesus lads. Buer is from Leitrim :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I raise you Tipperary town.

killeshandra beats them both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

molloyjh wrote: »
    But its not incremental is it? The virus will only survive so long without being able to replicate. So its more like the lotto than smoking, ie your chances essentially reset if you don't get it.

Your individual chances reset. If everyone does it, then the risk to the population increases. It's like one person doing the Lotto or a million people doing the Lotto. Your chance of winning is the same but the chance of someone winning increases massively.

Pretty tortured analogy but the point is that we need to get to the stage where wearing a mask is the default. We're a million miles away from that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

killeshandra beats them both

what's wrong with Killeshandra? it has green and lovely lanes

• Advertisement

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    what's wrong with Killeshandra? it has green and lovely lanes

The locals treat outsiders like alien life forms?

And the roads are crap

The locals treat outsiders like alien life forms?

And the roads are crap

the thing about Killeshandra is that it isn't really on the road to anywhere so if you end up there, you're probably lost. any particular place that was unwelcoming?

the thing about Killeshandra is that it isn't really on the road to anywhere so if you end up there, you're probably lost. any particular place that was unwelcoming?

nah I used work there a bit for a couple of years

The shop used annoy me

nah I used work there a bit for a couple of years

The shop used annoy me

there's only one shop? if I remember correctly there wasn't even a petrol station for a while

there's only one shop? if I remember correctly there wasn't even a petrol station for a while

Thats what I recall

Think there was one pub
    Definitely no petrol station I used have to stop in Cavan town for petrol

I'd take that weird little town above Longford.

Loughrea is one that I'd gladly see floated off into the ocean too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,743 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People go on holiday to Longford these days.

awec wrote: »
    People go on holiday to Longford these days.

They go to Centre Parcs. They don't go to Longford town which some people might say is 25km away from Centre Parcs but I prefer to think of it being stuck 25 years away in the distant past.

Genuinely the best thing to happen in Longford this century is the bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

molloyjh wrote: »
    But its not incremental is it? The virus will only survive so long without being able to replicate. So its more like the lotto than smoking, ie your chances essentially reset if you don't get it.

Another way to think about it is the independence of the collective probabilities.

Slightly different Lotto analogy:

Me winning the Lotto on Wednesday doesn't affect your chances of winning it on Saturday.

But me getting Coronavirus Wednesday does affect your chances of getting Coronavirus on Saturday, however infinitesimal that change in probability may be.

So you go out without a mask, come home, you didn't get it, great, your risk resets. But the more people who likewise went out without a mask, the higher the probability that someone got it. So the next time you go out, you face a different risk.

Transient individual risk resets, yes. But long term collective risk creeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Another way to think about it is the independence of the collective probabilities.

Slightly different Lotto analogy:

Me winning the Lotto on Wednesday doesn't affect your chances of winning it on Saturday.

But me getting Coronavirus Wednesday does affect your chances of getting Coronavirus on Saturday, however infinitesimal that change in probability may be.

So you go out without a mask, come home, you didn't get it, great, your risk resets. But the more people who likewise went out without a mask, the higher the probability that someone got it. So the next time you go out, you face a different risk.

Transient individual risk resets, yes. But long term collective risk creeps up.

*starts hunting for nerd meme again*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I hope nobody, now, will fail to understand that the Tory sh*ts in government simply do not care about us. They will tell any lie and stoop to any action which will serve their purposes, KEEP THEM IN OFFICE, DUPE THE UNTHINKING CRETINS THAT VOTE FOR THEM AND CONTINUE TO LINE THE POCKETS OF VULTURES LIKE REES=TURD.
    Since the start of this crisis, Johnson and his cabinet have done a woeful job in every sector of containing the virus, putting the interests of themselves and their wealthy donors before those of the people.
    250,000 tests by the end of march. A Bunter lie.
    World beating test regimen? A Bunter lie.
    World beating track and trace? A Bunter lie.
    Protecting the Care sector? A Bunter lie so monstrous that the perpetrator should be in fu%king jail.
    BoJoke Bunter.......... a world beating failure.

One of the problems with Boturd's character in my view is he is incapable of taking responsibility, either personally or as a leader, for anything and doesn't give a flying septic tank full to the brim of Rees-Mogg about the wreckage that spews out around him.The casual shifting of blame seems second nature as he just can’t stop himself all the time. "It wasn't me Guv. it was ...anyone nearby."

One thing he and his government are experts on is the bull**** mantra which they repeatedly state "Mistakes made, lessons learnt". Mistakes made, lessons learnt."Well nothing has been learnt has it with over 50,000 deaths. We have a government that wants power but without the responsibility.

The UK government is world class at something though and that is killing its citizens and lying repeatedly to cover up the truth.It's a damning indictment that the only thing Bastard Blunder Liar's s government is world beating at is lying to the public and causing preventable deaths.

After dabbling in herd immunity the government implemented lock-down lite, a delay that has been hypothesised by many to have resulted in thousands more deaths than there could have been. This demonstrated the horrific disregard for life of the Conservative Party, who for so long prioritised their personal economy and that of their tax dodging masters over people.
    When lock down came the was minimal testing and no contact tracing, resulting in the spread of COVID-19 being unchecked. This was an egregious error by the government who could not track hotspots of the virus and thousands of lives were endangered needlessly. Most experts now think that if we had locked down 11 or 12 days earlier, when our infection and death rates were roughly equal to Germany's by the time they did lock down on the same day as we did, up to 75% of the deaths to end June could have been avoided. By the time we did lock down our rates were 4 times those of Germany's, a ratio that has pretty much pertained ever since.
    This demonstrated the horrific disregard for life of the Conservative Party, who for so long prioritised their economy over people.

Now as we emerge from lock down and now head back in, we will wait nervously for the second wave to wreak havoc across the nation. It wouldn’t be a surprise if after all that has happened the government has failed to learn from their mistakes. Despite their litany of failures they will continue their selfish ways, truly cementing their position as world beating with the number of deaths dooming their citizens to widespread fatality and destruction.

A 'very difficult call to make' is no more than a line. The government knew very well it was gambling by its attempts to outrun the shadow of the virus. That was more than evident in its constant repetition of being 'led by the science' and the refusal to err on the side of caution. Utterly extraordinary and inexplicable to have exercised no controls at the airports even up to the present day. To have left the doors open to 30,000 football fans coming from Northern Spain and to have sanctioned a racing festival of 250,000 for no better reason than someone's wife who had the ear of the prime minister being on the Cheltenham Racecourse board.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

Same thing.

Excuse me. You're saying Longford and Leitrim are the same?
    Have you ever been to either?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

Jesus lads. Buer is from Leitrim :eek:

Im not sure about Buer, but I am. Prey tell me about your visits to Leitrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

They're dark memories, best left undisturbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Pretty cool study coming out of Switzerland (don't a few folks on here live there?).

They tested two Army units who never had any contact with one another. Fairly safe to assume they both had very similar routines, lifestyles, daily activities etc.

On March 11th a positive case of symptomatic Covid19 was reported in Unit 1, which led the army to imposed strict rules about social distancing and handwashing for all units. March 31st they tested a small sample of Unit 2 and found no positive cases. So the basic idea here is that the virus was spreading around Unit 1 before the social distancing/hygiene rules were brought in, but Unit 2 was clean.

Fast forward a couple of weeks (April 14th) and they tested samples from both Units: in Unit 1, 62% came back positive, while in Unit 2, 14% came back positive. These were all asymptomatic, so traces of virus (i.e., Sars-Cov2) but not the illness (Covid-19). So two developments: (a) virus now spreading fairly strongly in Unit 1, and (b) virus now present in Unit 2, but lower presence.

Fastforward another 2-ish weeks (May 3rd), Unit 1 went on to develop 102 cases of the actual ILLNESS (Covid-19), while Unit 2 didn't see a single case.

They conclude: Social distancing and good hygiene reduces not only the risk that you get the VIRUS, but ALSO reduces the risk of you getting a serious case of the ILLNESS if you do catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Pretty cool study coming out of Switzerland (don't a few folks on here live there?).

They tested two Army units who never had any contact with one another. Fairly safe to assume they both had very similar routines, lifestyles, daily activities etc.

On March 11th a positive case of symptomatic Covid19 was reported in Unit 1, which led the army to imposed strict rules about social distancing and handwashing for all units. March 31st they tested a small sample of Unit 2 and found no positive cases. So the basic idea here is that the virus was spreading around Unit 1 before the social distancing/hygiene rules were brought in, but Unit 2 was clean.

Fast forward a couple of weeks (April 14th) and they tested samples from both Units: in Unit 1, 62% came back positive, while in Unit 2, 14% came back positive. These were all asymptomatic, so traces of virus (i.e., Sars-Cov2) but not the illness (Covid-19). So two developments: (a) virus now spreading fairly strongly in Unit 1, and (b) virus now present in Unit 2, but lower presence.

Fastforward another 2-ish weeks (May 3rd), Unit 1 went on to develop 102 cases of the actual ILLNESS (Covid-19), while Unit 2 didn't see a single case.

They conclude: Social distancing and good hygiene reduces not only the risk that you get the VIRUS, but ALSO reduces the risk of you getting a serious case of the ILLNESS if you do catch it.

The knives will be out for that study...

OldRio wrote: »
    Im not sure about Buer, but I am. Prey tell me about your visits to Leitrim?

I spent many happy childhood summer holidays in Rossinver :)

That's the logic of someone who has been brainwashed or is just a horrible person. And I'm realising there are more of them than I realised and they are among us.

Two people I work with:

Person A is an experienced, highly respected operator. Very measured and diligent. I was going for a sandwich and had to go back to get my mask. She informed me that she had contacted Retail Ireland to confirm they wouldn't be enforcing face masks so she wasn't wearing one.

Person B is in their twenties, educated to a masters level. She asked if I thought whether the death count was as high as reported. I asked what she meant and she advised that she had seen footage online from Italy of soldiers loading rocks into the coffins and they weren't moving bodies at all.

These people exist and I'm beginning to think there are many more than I ever thought.

Social media is badly in need of extremely heavy handed regulation. When you sit back and consider the scale of damage populism is inflicting on the world you really need to start viewing the platforms that directly and pervasively promote that populism as having been weaponised.

It's obviously not all down to social media and campaign journalism is another concept in urgent need of regulation but ultimately the tap needs to be switched off before minds are poisoned forever.

Every so often I see another otherwise sensible person on my facebook go off down some bizarre rabbit hole and I've had to permanently mute a lot of the American's on my feed. It's getting worse and we'll end up with a head case government here soon enough if action isn't taken.

I'm seriously considering moving to the west of Ireland as it looks like I can wfh indefinitely

• Advertisement

I'm seriously considering moving to the west of Ireland as it looks like I can wfh indefinitely

Same here looking to permnently move out of Dublin

Advertisement