Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It completely depends on where you're talking about really, I think. If you can get a flight at an affordable price you can generally travel but would be expected to isolate in a lot of locations (just like Ireland). My OH was in a similar position.
    No but if she holds dual citizenship I'm not sure what way it'd be handled other than if she says it's a repatriation, because there's a non-essential travel ban on Irish citizens too. Best bet would be to try and get a hold of the US embassy and ask for their advice.

Thanks, these were particularly helpful post.

She is a singular US Citizen so it looks like she'd be okay to travel - but it seems quite clear I wouldn't be going with her and there would be periods of self isolation. I am still not quite sure on what the deal with getting her back to Ireland would be, but I guess the US embassy is a good place to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,226 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Synode wrote: »
    They were saying on the radio yesterday that it's not just based on the mocks. It's based on performance over the whole year in class, homework etc.

I'd still have been f*cked. I mitched and lazed about for about 80% of my leaving cert cycle. I knuckled down a bit the last month and a family member who is a maths/science teacher gave me some grinds for the last 6 weeks. I got myself enough to get my 3rd choice course. But I wouldn't have been going to college at all if they applied some sort of continuous assessment. It's incredibly unfair to do that retrospectively at this point.

Surely they can arrange some sort of reduced exam timetable i.e. only one paper for English, Irish, maths etc. Shortened duration for exams i.e. 3 hours becomes 2 hours and potentially condensing the schedule so they can run 3 exams on a day where the likelihood is that any single student would only be doing 2 of those exams such as chemistry, history and music all to be done on the same day etc.

Am I completely off in thinking that the unions are likely to be a massive stumbling block to the whole thing and refusing to play ball?

There are going to be a significant number of students totally f*cked over and I would say we'll see a massive percentage of students looking to take the LC next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Buer wrote: »
    I'd still have been f*cked. I mitched and lazed about for about 80% of my leaving cert cycle. I knuckled down a bit the last month and a family member who is a maths/science teacher gave me some grinds for the last 6 weeks. I got myself enough to get my 3rd choice course. But I wouldn't have been going to college at all if they applied some sort of continuous assessment. It's incredibly unfair to do that retrospectively at this point.

Surely they can arrange some sort of reduced exam timetable i.e. only one paper for English, Irish, maths etc. Shortened duration for exams i.e. 3 hours becomes 2 hours and potentially condensing the schedule so they can run 3 exams on a day where the likelihood is that any single student would only be doing 2 of those exams such as chemistry, history and music all to be done on the same day etc.

Am I completely off in thinking that the unions are likely to be a massive stumbling block to the whole thing and refusing to play ball?

There are going to be a significant number of students totally f*cked over and I would say we'll see a massive percentage of students looking to take the LC next year.
    I think the appeals process is designed to make you shut up Buer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Can't remember where I saw it, but there was talk of a 2-step appeals process. Step 1, another teacher would give the grade. Step 2, the student could sit an exam. Might give some bit of leeway. It's a pretty sh*t situation all round and it feels like they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The thing I don't understand is that the LC was scheduled to start on 29th July (and run for 2-3 weeks). If that's being cancelled, is it realistic to expect schools to re-open for next year just 4 or so weeks later?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

aloooof wrote: »
    Can't remember where I saw it, but there was talk of a 2-step appeals process. Step 1, another teacher would give the grade. Step 2, the student could sit an exam. Might give some bit of leeway. It's a pretty sh*t situation all round and it feels like they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The thing I don't understand is that the LC was scheduled to start on 29th July (and run for 2-3 weeks). If that's being cancelled, is it realistic to expect schools to re-open for next year just 4 or so weeks later?
    I'm guessing here, but I suspect that when they looked at starting then, the logistics of getting them marked and results out in time just defeated them.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,478 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If they end up with a split system where a significant portion of students opt to sit an exam (let's say 40%) then that will be a complete cluster fcuk.....

You couldn't have two separate scoring systems trading off for the same end goals

How about producing multiple versions of the exams and staggering the starting time. The big challenge of the LC is sitting everyone at the same time. If there are 10 versions, it doesn't matter if one gets leaked.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think the appeals process is designed to make you shut up Buer.

It seems that appeals process is pretty ineffective!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'm guessing here, but I suspect that when they looked at starting then, the logistics of getting them marked and results out in time just defeated them.

This would be my thoughts too. The leaving cert isn't a simple multiple choice exam that they could run through a machine for marking. It takes a lot of time for marking, plus you need to give students the chance to appeal their results.

Another possible reason is that it potentially double the work on schools. First they need to prepare the logistics for a socially distanced leaving cert. Then once that is done they need to throw all that out and start prepping for a full return to school that is socially distanced

How about producing multiple versions of the exams and staggering the starting time. The big challenge of the LC is sitting everyone at the same time. If there are 10 versions, it doesn't matter if one gets leaked.

Can see a couple of big problems with that. Firstly, what if one paper is easier than another? You'll have people threatening legal action. Secondly, who is going to draft 10 different versions of every exam?

I think we just identify central locations with sufficient space and hold the leaving cert with the necessary spacing between individuals e.g. the RDS, community centres, the basketball arena etc.

It really does not appear to be an impossible situation or even close to it. The alternative that is being suggested right now seems absolutely ridiculous to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I'd have been totally f****d as well. Anxiety in exams leads to not doing too well in exams....
    You cant do it retrospectively but future years should have more continuous assessment in most subjects.
    Dont think reduced exam timetable is needed either. Just hire more invigilators
    dont have teachers supervising the exams. Get the people who invigilate third level exams and have a recruitment process for additional invigilators and train them to supervise the exams and this frees up teachers to just correct exams.
    would open up whole case of worms and complaints about fairness.
    Can see a couple of big problems with that. Firstly, what if one paper is easier than another? You'll have people threatening legal action. Secondly, who is going to draft 10 different versions of every exam?

I think we just identify central locations with sufficient space and hold the leaving cert with the necessary spacing between individuals e.g. the RDS, community centres, the basketball arena etc.

It really does not appear to be an impossible situation or even close to it. The alternative that is being suggested right now seems absolutely ridiculous to me.
    wouldnt needed venues like rds. Just use existing schools. Have extra staff supervising the exams. Handing out papers and instead of 1 hall in school for exams just have students doing exams in smaller groups in classrooms

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lads,

Need a bit of advice for those of you with young kids

One of the guys on my team in work has had a new baby and muggins here is in charge of organising a gift.

Along with a baby/Mum gift we have decided we should get something small for his two year old so they dont feel left out.

Do two year olds generally like colouring books and crayons or should I just go for a teddy bear of some kind? I've no idea about this sort of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Looking at the numbers of people coming into the country and not declaring where they are self isolating or not answering the phone when contacted about it, why aren't they just put into a hotel near the airport/port they arrived at for 2 weeks of forced isolation. Seems the obvious solution.

Stheno wrote: »
    Lads,

One of the guys on my team in work has had a new baby and muggins here is in charge of organising a gift.

Along with a baby/Mum gift we have decided we should get something small for his two year old so they dont feel left out.

Do two year olds generally like colouring books and crayons or should I just go for a teddy bear of some kind? I've no idea about this sort of stuff

A rugby ball. Obviously.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Looking at the numbers of people coming into the country and not declaring where they are self isolating or not answering the phone when contacted about it, why aren't they just put into a hotel near the airport/port they arrived at for 2 weeks of forced isolation. Seems the obvious solution.

The WHO approach is built around stamping out infections when they occur rather than completely shutting things down at borders. Goods are still moving which means the virus can still come into the country, it makes more sense to use a strong track, trace and isolate system for proven cases rather than a macro travel ban.

At least that's my impression of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

A rugby ball. Obviously.

Already has one if I know Dad

Lads,

Crayons are probably fractionally too old for a 2 year old and they'll just write on walls if they can hold the crayon properly. If you look on Smyths website, they've a rake of things and you can filter by age (18 months to 3 years).

If they're in lockdown and have a garden, think of something they can use outside. When the kids were 2, we bought a little play tent in IKEA for the summer. They loved it. Was their own little place and kept them in the shade in the garden too.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/play-houses-and-tents/paw-patrol-4-sided-tent/p/167477

For the parents, I'd recommend condoms.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Has there been any more news on the app to assist track and track? Originally was suggested it'd be ready mid-May. Obviously would need a large uptake to make it worthwhile.

I don't think those problems are as big as the issues with the proposed system.

I used to do past papers over and over to study for the LC. If you know the material on the paper, it's deemed easier. I don't think some papers are objectively easier than others. They used to follow a set formula.

As of who will set 10 papers? That's hardly an issue surely. I could create 10 maths papers over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Lads,

Something musical like drums or a tambourine. This will negate Buer's suggestion of condoms for the parents.

My brother has a 3 year old boy and he recently sent me a video where the young lad found a referee's whistle in the house. He seems to be having great fun blowing it at full whack for 6 to 7 hours a day.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Something musical like drums or a tambourine. This will negate Buer's suggestion of condoms for the parents.

My brother has a 3 year old boy and he recently sent me a video where the young lad found a referee's whistle in the house. He seems to be having great fun blowing it at full whack for 6 to 7 hours a day.

You are all pure evil :pac:

mfceiling wrote: »

A vuvuzela!! Thats what every child needs.

Wait... Stheno, your friend doesn't live near me do they???

A vuvuzela!! Thats what every child needs.

Wait... Stheno, your friend doesn't live near me do they???

They live in the Southside.......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,748 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

My little one is 2 and the sort of stuff she loves at the moment is her teddies, play-doh & books for the most part. Maybe try googling Orchard Toys. You can get them in a few places. They have a few games that are educational & fun. We have a couple of them where they have to match baby animals to their parents and that sort of thing. Ours enjoys them anyway. They're cheap & will tell you what ages they are appropriate for.

molloyjh wrote: »
    My little one is 2 and the sort of stuff she loves at the moment is her teddies, play-doh & books for the most part. Maybe try googling Orchard Toys. You can get them in a few places. They have a few games that are educational & fun. We have a couple of them where they have to match baby animals to their parents and that sort of thing. Ours enjoys them anyway. They're cheap & will tell you what ages they are appropriate for.
    I got play doh :D and a ball :) that's a good tip about Orchard toys for the future, thanks

There must be a mad run on Smyths online half their stuff is out of stock

• Administrators Posts: 53,728 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Duplo is good; it’s the toddler version of lego.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,478 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

awec wrote: »
    Duplo is good; it’s the toddler version of lego.

Tupelo is good too

Should have been there tonight :(

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oSl4KX7zBTQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

I got play doh :D and a ball :) that's a good tip about Orchard toys for the future, thanks

There must be a mad run on Smyths online half their stuff is out of stock

a busy board could be an option too.

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    a busy board could be an option too.

They look cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,095 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Just learned that my grandmother is booked for a Covid swab. She's 86 years old and a diabetic so that's not good. Still lives in her family home with my grandad and I know she hasn't been out in weeks. So that balances things out a bit. GP thinks it's a chest infection but isn't taking any chances. Very hopeful that it is just a run of the mill illness.

Advertisement