Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I do not, and never will understand spicy food in general. It just tastes like pain.

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I do not, and never will understand spicy food in general. It just tastes like pain.

Helps clear the pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Dopamine.

I will have hot sauce on anything. Toast, pancakes, all sorts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I use honey to glaze a ham, and in a glass with hot poitin for a cold. Spicy? No thanks!

I put maple syrup on my roast carrots a few days back. I thought it was honey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

So you don't like it when a curry makes you sweat and your eyes water and your nose run?? Weirdo.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    So you don't like it when a curry makes you sweat and your eyes water and your nose run?? Weirdo.

:D

...or the ring of fire next day....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭antimatterx

For the first time in my life I'm looking for a new job, while currently employed. I'm a developer, so plenty of jobs around out there.

The logistics sound difficult, or maybe it's just me. But how are you supposed to interview during working hours on short notice, while employed?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

For the first time in my life I'm looking for a new job, while currently employed. I'm a developer, so plenty of jobs around out there.

The logistics sound difficult, or maybe it's just me. But how are you supposed to interview during working hours on short notice, while employed?

Usually just schedule any phone interviews for lunch time, or book a meeting slot in your calendar for half an hour. I've done interviews outside of working hours too where I was on client sites and knew I wouldn't have a chance, places are pretty flexible most of the time.

I presume you are WFH at the moment? People are constantly letting us know on slack that they will be offline for an hour to pick up their daughter/aunt/dog from GAA training. Maybe that's just the culture of my company though. If I absolutely need to take a short period of time off at short notice, doctor's appointment never fails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

There was a burger restaurant in Malta that had a hot wing challenge. If you could eat 3 of the ridiculously hot chicken wings, you ate for free. Can't remember if the sauce had Carolina reaper, scorpion or ghost peppers but it was hot!! After the first time I learnt that it was better to do the challenge after the meal. That way you got to enjoy your burger first.

Usually just schedule any phone interviews for lunch time, or book a meeting slot in your calendar for half an hour. I've done interviews outside of working hours too where I was on client sites and knew I wouldn't have a chance, places are pretty flexible most of the time.

Interesting. Thats probably the way to do it. The only time previously I've looked for jobs is when I've been unemployed, so this is all new to me.
    I presume you are WFH at the moment? People are constantly letting us know on slack that they will be offline for an hour to pick up their daughter/aunt/dog from GAA training. Maybe that's just the culture of my company though. If I absolutely need to take a short period of time off at short notice, doctor's appointment never fails.

Yea I'm WFH, probably until the end of the year, if not into 2021. I suppose I'll just say I won't be online, as opposed to asking for permission.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Just block out time in your calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Interesting. Thats probably the way to do it. The only time previously I've looked for jobs is when I've been unemployed, so this is all new to me.

Yea I'm WFH, probably until the end of the year, if not into 2021. I suppose I'll just say I won't be online, as opposed to asking for permission.
    Send an email from your phone on the morning of the interview and say your computer is doing windows updates and is in an endless restart loop / your wifi is down / sudden powercut in the house because next doors gardener cut the powerline with the lawnmower.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I’m interviewing people currently. We make space for them outside of working hours if needed. I think in general people taking half a day off seems most common

I’m interviewing people currently. We make space for them outside of working hours if needed. I think in general people taking half a day off seems most common

That's exactly what I'd say to the interviewer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Out of interest does anyone know Phil Hogan’s handicap (not political, this is a purely golf related question please and thank you)

Out of interest does anyone know Phil Hogan’s handicap (not political, this is a purely golf related question please and thank you)

His drives frequently end up out of bounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Interesting to see who gets commissioner job next. Mairead McGuinness seems to be favourite but don’t know would she be deemed experienced enough to hold the trade portfolio. It wouldn’t shock me if Coveney or even Varadkar headed off, either might have a long career there and end up as Commission President.

Slim chance of Enda Kenny getting the call in order to hold on to trade but doubt it.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Interesting to see who gets commissioner job next. Mairead McGuinness seems to be favourite but don’t know would she be deemed experienced enough to hold the trade portfolio. It wouldn’t shock me if Coveney or even Varadkar headed off, either might have a long career there and end up as Commission President.

Slim chance of Enda Kenny getting the call in order to hold on to trade but doubt it.

Technically Irish politics but we'll allow it as it refers to an EU appointment.

All FG names but the main party in government currently is FF. Can't think of any FF heads suitable though. You left out Pascal from the list. Richard Bruton another possibility.

• Advertisement

I think Pascal is ineligible as he just got elected to a new role. Simon Coveney would be a huge loss to Irish politics, so Richard Bruton could be a great choice.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Technically Irish politics but we'll allow it as I want to chat about it

FYP :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Do Commissioners normally stay in the role that long? Don't think the President normally comes from within the Commission either.

Would be an odd move for Varadkar I would think.

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think they'll want to avoid by-elections so probably won't nominate any current TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Can't see Varadkar stepping away as Tánaiste to take up that role. Coveney was an MEP for a couple of years so might be a good shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Computer question. Windows 10 - I have a weird window flashing up on screen intermittently which quickly disappears. How do I find out what process is causing it i.e. is it possible to dump logs of what's been happening over the last few minutes and if so how do I do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I’m sure they would ideally like to avoid by election but don’t think it will stop them if they consider it necessary. They have a bit of room majority wise, although not a massive amount, by election wouldn’t need to be done for six months or so.

Certainly in Coveneys case, it probably wouldn’t be over concerning given it returned 3/4 FG/ff TDs so even with government very rarely winning by elections, they would probably have at least a 50-50 shot there.

Commissioners length varies, Hogan was going to be ten years but no guarantee of that, need support of national government when it is being done after EU elections is my understanding so in theory whoever is appointed now could get another term if this government lasts the full length.

President of the Commission oftens comes directly from national politics (as Juncker and Von der Leyen have done) but it could also be a Commissioner afaik.

I don’t expect it will be Varadkar but it wouldn’t shock me, for whatever reason he has never struck me as someone who will be around for a long time as Fine Gael leader. Obviously need to move to Brussels so family needs to be on board too which may be a factor for the likes of Coveney, who has kids I think.

Synode wrote: »
    Computer question. Windows 10 - I have a weird window flashing up on screen intermittently which quickly disappears. How do I find out what process is causing it i.e. is it possible to dump logs of what's been happening over the last few minutes and if so how do I do it?

Do you have anything that records your screen? I have nvidia shadow play set up so I can record the last 5 mins. You could pause the video and see what it is.

Do you have anything that records your screen? I have nvidia shadow play set up so I can record the last 5 mins. You could pause the video and see what it is.

I don't

• Advertisement

Been thinking what it could be and I have a weird Skype error dialog box that opens when I start the computer and needs to be closed by clicking ok. Only started appearing in the last few weeks. I've been meaning to look into what it is but haven't had the time. I'll take note next time I startup.

Advertisement