Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

See the reports of Trump having mocked US soldiers killed in battle, and that he cancelled a visit to a US cemetery in France because "it was filled with losers" and referred to others who'd died as "suckers".

That's a massive part of his support that they're trying to target, although the chances of it sticking are absolutely minimal.

A Fox News reporter verified it and he called for her to be sacked.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Is there ANYTHING to be said for an NFL thread? Off Topic becomes the NFL thread at this time of year and I for one am massively bothered by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

dregin wrote: »
    Is there ANYTHING to be said for an NFL thread? Off Topic becomes the NFL thread at this time of year and I for one am massively bothered by it.

Look, are you joining our NFL fantasy league or wha?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,492 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dregin wrote: »

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952b46sy25zzprjsne3iabxfyuacqejwhhqn0sy2jd7&rid=giphy.gif

We should have an off-topic thread for the people who moan about the odd NFL post in the off-topic thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If only there was some section of boards.ie already devoted to American Football....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Jaysus lads every time there's a topic in the off topic thread people aren't interested in they seem to want there to be a separate thread, it would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the off topic thread. I'm not really interested in American football but it's no skin off my teeth to just scroll past any posts about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Bazzo wrote: »
    Jaysus lads every time there's a topic in the off topic thread people aren't interested in they seem to want there to be a separate thread, it would kind of defeat the whole purpose of the off topic thread. I'm not really interested in American football but it's no skin off my teeth to just scroll past any posts about it.
    It takes over the thread every week for the entire NFL season though no harm in it having its own thread tbh.

It takes over the thread every week for the entire NFL season though no harm in it having its own thread tbh.

I don't think there has been much NFL discussion in recent years outside of Superbowl week. A few contributors don't post as much on the rugby forum anymore.

I think an off-topic thread should be allowed go in whatever direction it wants. There's not enough posts to warrant a separate thread imo. If the fantasy league happens I can set up a discord group to keep it out of here.

Edit: I've asked in the AF forum if anyone wants to join our FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

I have no interest in the NFL, but I've no issue with people who are talking about it. Sometimes I'll read the posts if I feel like it even though most of it doesn't make sense to me, other times I'll just skip over the couple of posts on a Monday or Tuesday. If we're not gonna spin politics into its own thread (and we shouldn't) then we shouldn't spin NFL talk into its own thread. So far there's been more chatter complaining about NFL posts then there generally is weekly during the season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I like it.

It helps me seem knowledgeable to other people when I casually throw in a remark I read on here in conversation. The only problem is when someone else in the group does follow NFL and I have to scramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Anyone else here into knitting? Choice of needle - whether you go plastic, basic metal or fork out a bit more for titanium - type of wool, best stitch, plain pattern or more intricate. The discussion points are endless. Dare I say it, fascinating. Makes NFL discussion seem rather dull by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Like the game itself, it’s a great cure for insomnia.

thomond2006
    awec
    podge_irl
    errlloyd
    Buer
    irishbucsfan

Those of you who signed up, it would be a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday draft for me as I'm in the AF forum draft on Monday.

I've sent PMs, can you sign up to the discord and we can fix a night for the draft.

Errlloyd, your PMs are full. Can you clear a few and I'll send on the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

New Alien movie confirmed by Ridley Scott. More than likely moving away from Prometheus and Covenant. Hope they go back to something like the first 2 beauts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

We've been hoping for that for a while now though, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    New Alien movie confirmed by Ridley Scott. More than likely moving away from Prometheus and Covenant. Hope they go back to something like the first 2 beauts.

So they're gonna leave the prequel trilogy unfinished?
    That's not cool at all!

Prometheus could have been a really good movie. All the ingredients were there but it felt like half a movie with a lot of new questions and the promise of a sequel to answer them.

It's what made Covenant as bad as it was - not only did they not really address the major themes from Prometheus leaving that narrative effectively on pause, they turned the Alien into a literal puppet and really cheapened it's origin in my opinion.

I think Scott should walk away from the franchise at this stage, he's had two bites of the apple since the original and neither have added substantially to the Universe. I wouldn't mind seeing what Christopher Nolan could do with the Alien, especially if he pruned cannon down to the first two films or even something between the first and second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

kuang1 wrote: »
    So they're gonna leave the prequel trilogy unfinished?
    That's not cool at all!

Ya he mentioned that Prometheus kind of gave enough to cover the story.

I liked Prometheus but Covenant needed to bring far more to the table and it just failed like an Aldi drill.
    I really hope it goes back to something in the format of the first 2. Good shout on Cristopher Nolan might be a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

For me Prometheus would have been received really well had it not been billed as a prequel to Alien. Both it and Covenant were shot wonderfully. And there were elements of Covenant that I felt were spot on. But overall it was pretty poor. I dont hold much hope for the next one tbh. I agree with Venjur, the way they tried to explain the origin of the Aliens actively takes away from the original. We dont need everything explained or origin stories for story elements that thrive in the mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I've sent PMs, can you sign up to the discord and we can fix a night for the draft.

Errlloyd, your PMs are full. Can you clear a few and I'll send on the details.

Will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

molloyjh wrote: »
    For me Prometheus would have been received really well had it not been billed as a prequel to Alien. Both it and Covenant were shot wonderfully. And there were elements of Covenant that I felt were spot on. But overall it was pretty poor. I dont hold much hope for the next one tbh. I agree with Venjur, the way they tried to explain the origin of the Aliens actively takes away from the original. We dont need everything explained or origin stories for story elements that thrive in the mystery.

I know someone who went into Prometheus not knowing anything about it at all and he absolutely loved it!

I know someone who went into Prometheus not knowing anything about it at all and he absolutely loved it!

I'm not surprised at all by that. Expectation can be a killer for movies, especially when tied to such a beloved franchise. Freeing it from Alien could have given it more license to do something different in the final act too and make it an even better film. In its own right it was pretty good, as a companion film to Alien it was very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Yeah anyone with an iota of concern for veterans would have already dumped him after his comments about John McCain back in 2016. His base don't love America, they love themselves.

Mercifully, I may need to stand corrected on my previous statement

https://twitter.com/HeathMayo/status/1302629915049832450

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The thing with the Alien films is that they're pretty much perfect in that there's so few leaps of faith in them and the decision making by the characters is logical. Remember in Alien Ripley didn't want to let the away team back on the ship but Ash let them on, for reasons we find out later.

The decision making in the Covenant and Prometheus is shaky at best.

Do you remember this guy from Prometheus? His entire existence was only to do stupid **** to move the plot along. He was apparently one of those maverick scientists who plays by his own rules and doesn't listen to anyone. The originals didn't have anything like that.

Seanharrisfifield.jpg

Do you remember this guy from Prometheus? His entire existence was only to do stupid **** to move the plot along. He was apparently one of those maverick scientists who plays by his own rules and doesn't listen to anyone. The originals didn't have anything like that.

Seanharrisfifield.jpg

Billy Crudups character in Covenant schools any character in any movie for wholly illogical decisions required to move the plot along.

You would wonder how has this absurdity gotten so far. The much celebrated deal now doesn't make sense.

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1303073415222513664

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

A shortage of homegrown tw@ts forces government to look abroad.Following the appointment of former Australian PM Tony Abbott as a trade adviser, a senior Conservative Party source has expressed concerns about the quality of Britain’s current crop of morally delinquent arseholes.

Although many in Downing Street view the signing of horrible misogynist ****bag Abbott as a step in the right direction, the source insists that more needs to be done to ensure British twunts don’t miss out.

“Nobody can be in any doubt that the current government has raised the bar in terms of absolute ethical bankruptcy,” they told us. “However, the appointment of Tony Abbott – a foreigner – signals a potential failure in our current system to meet the demand for the volume and calibre of weaselly little f*ckers that the UK requires. It is a problem at a grassroots level.”

The admission is likely to cause consternation among Britain’s elite institutions – those charged with producing world-beating tw@ts. Doubtless, they will point to Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg as shining examples of their hard work. Nevertheless, the source insisted that more needs to be done if the Tories are to continue destroying the country without help from abroad.The source went on, “The last general election exposed a lot of cracks for us. Yes, it was a strong victory, but when you look at the MPs we have in place – some of them are actual northerners! They are total dicks, admittedly, but do they really have what it takes to decimate public services with glee? Yes, they’ll blindly and cowardly defend Dominic Cummings’ blatant disregard for law and public sentiment, but would they do coke out of a sex worker’s bum in a food bank toilet? I doubt it.

“Ultimately, we need massive investment and early interventions if we are to see an improvement in the level of homegrown, complete bastards. I’d like to see the redirection of foreign aid funds pushed into some kind of Nursery for cxnts programme.” Downing Street has downplayed the source’s claims, maintaining it is happy with the UK’s capacity to produce toerags.

The Nation is now hopeful as our idiot prime minister appoints a putrid dickhead trade advisor to secure trade deal with moron President. As Boris Johnson appointed Tony Abbott to help secure trade deals with people like Donald Trump, the entire country has asked ‘what’s the worst that could possibly happen?’

Despite criticism of the appointment, government insiders have insisted the best way to woo an arsehole is with another arsehole. Voter Simon Williams told us, “The year is 2020 and absolutely nothing in the world of politics surprises me any more. Not even when a man who has cheated on all of his wives employs a man who thinks gays shouldn’t be allowed to marry to help curry favour with a man who pays prostitutes to slash on himand remain quiet about their liaisons. Imagine me coming back in time to tell you that on the day the newspapers decided Ed Milliband couldn’t be prime minister because of the way he ate a bacon sandwich. You’d think I was completely insane.”

However, others have called this disgusting appointment ‘a stroke of genius’. “The best way to get into the good graces with a pathological egotist who thinks everyone to the left of Hitler is a communist is to put him in a room with someone exactly like him.

Far more worryingly, septic pus bag Bunter Blobby has been ordered by his boss, Hold On I'm Cummings, to screw over the people of all of Ireland and **** all over the NI Protocol.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,492 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That confirms it....

Jaco is Jonathan Pie!!

Advertisement