Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Clegg wrote: »
    Just learned that my grandmother is booked for a Covid swab. She's 86 years old and a diabetic so that's not good. Still lives in her family home with my grandad and I know she hasn't been out in weeks. So that balances thi GS out a bit. GP thinks it's a chest infection but isn't taking any chances. Very hopeful that it is just a run of the mill illness.

Fingers crossed for your gran Clegg

• Subscribers Posts: 41,482 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clegg wrote: »
    Just learned that my grandmother is booked for a Covid swab. She's 86 years old and a diabetic so that's not good. Still lives in her family home with my grandad and I know she hasn't been out in weeks. So that balances thi GS out a bit. GP thinks it's a chest infection but isn't taking any chances. Very hopeful that it is just a run of the mill illness.

Just to say that the doctors have really turned up the testing numbers recently. Both my wife and my niece (3yo) had to call the doctors the week before last with sinus/chest issues. No cough, no fever etc.

However as my wife has diabetes and my nieces mom is asmathyic the doctors insisted they get tested. Both came back negative.

So I'm hoping that as you nan is in a high risk group the doctor is just being extra cautious and she gets the all clear. If she's been cocooning, then it's unlikely she has anything worse than a chest infection

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Buer wrote: »
    I'd still have been f*cked. I mitched and lazed about for about 80% of my leaving cert cycle.

Buer... Buer... Buer? Anyone? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Just to say that the doctors have really turned up the testing numbers recently. Both my wife and my niece (3yo) had to call the doctors the week before last with sinus/chest issues. No cough, no fever etc.

However as my wife has diabetes and my nieces mom is asmathyic the doctors insisted they get tested. Both came back negative.

So I'm hoping that as you nan is in a high risk group the doctor is just being extra cautious and she gets the all clear. If she's been cocooning, then it's unlikely she has anything worse than a chest infection
    She's been suffering from shortness of breath for a few days but seems to be ok at the minute. We're hopeful anyway. Fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We got PVC decking in there a couple of weeks ago, aul lad seems to be over the moon with it. Very little maintenance and has a wood style finish but without the maintenance.

We built out last decking ourselves and it was an absolute nightmare, one miscalculation or off cut can make an absolute hames of it all.

Is your dads decking called composite decking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

On a slightly lighter note; this gave me a good chuckle. Wonder if this was the inspiration for Ross O'Carroll Kelly's dad?

https://twitter.com/AkaPaulHoward/status/1258854314677874689?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

That's brilliant I must say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Stheno wrote: »
    Is your dads decking called composite decking?

Yep I think he got it from Brooks just before the shut down. You still need to build a wooden frame for it to sit on, but it all clips together with mounting clips drilled into the frame.

Yep I think he got it from Brooks just before the shut down. You still need to build a wooden frame for it to sit on, but it all clips together with mounting clips drilled into the frame.

Got a quote to have one supplied and fitted today, will look into it a bit more, I like the low maintenance side of it :)

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Wood just doesn't last outdoors in Ireland. Composite all the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What would people recommend for a usb-c external hard drive? For use with Mac OS.

I'll only be using it as a backup drive for data, so reliability and storage capacity preferred over speed.

Ideally one I don't also need to plug into an electrical outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This is a quite delicious way of using Trump's ego against him. Bravo to the Lincoln Project. :D

This is the ad they ran.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    What would people recommend for a usb-c external hard drive? For use with Mac OS.

I'll only be using it as a backup drive for data, so reliability and storage capacity preferred over speed.

The G Technology G Drives off Amazon get pretty great ratings. Or the LaCie rugged ones are pretty much a staple in a lot of industries.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The G Technology G Drives off Amazon get pretty great ratings. Or the LaCie rugged ones are pretty much a staple in a lot of industries.

I can vouch for both brands

Neil3030 wrote: »

What exactly are you backing up? I think cloud services are the way to go these days. You don't have to worry about failures or redundancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

What exactly are you backing up? I think cloud services are the way to go these days. You don't have to worry about failures or redundancy

Just be careful with your nudes... we're due another "fappening"

It really is a very different place.

https://streamable.com/6vg1qc

It really is a very different place.

https://streamable.com/6vg1qc

Context?

Context?

Celebrating the end of WW2 by congregating on the streets during a pandemic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,148 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Through work i can access OneDrive and Box. I've been using FileZilla and CyberDuck to FTP into Box (unlimited storage!). I have my HD mostly backed up there, it's just a bit of a slog uploading/downloading on our ****ty wifi. Also notice that all files some directories don't all upload in one go, like the FTP program skips files and I have to upload the directory a few times to get them all up there. Found CyberDuck to be a lot more reliable in this regard, actually.

So the plan is to use Box more for regular backup. it's just for peace of mind really, that I also want to stick everything on an external, and update it every once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I wonder how many people bemoaning the Bewleys Grafton St. closure ever stepped foot in there. The job losses are terrible but it seems they were struggling pre-Covid anyway. I never went there since the renovation but anyone I've spoken to wasn't that impressed with it.

If people don't want businesses to shut then go support them anyway you can right now.

I wonder how many people bemoaning the Bewleys Grafton St. closure ever stepped foot in there. The job losses are terrible but it seems they were struggling pre-Covid anyway. I never went there since the renovation but anyone I've spoken to wasn't that impressed with it.

If people don't want businesses to shut then go support them anyway you can right now.

We went once, thought it was over priced and the service was poor

Before they closed the first time we went there at least once a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

This is what I've been trying to do since lockdown started. Bought a fair bit of stuff I don't really need in the hope that it will help the seller will make it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

This is what I've been trying to do since lockdown started. Bought a fair bit of stuff I don't really need in the hope that it will help the seller will make it through.

My April spend was significantly less than my March spend so I'm trying to put some of those savings into local/independent shops. Even if it's just a sandwich or a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

My April spend was significantly less than my March spend so I'm trying to put some of those savings into local/independent shops. Even if it's just a sandwich or a coffee.

I'm in the same boat, struggling to actually spend money these days. Nice problem to have.

Any one got any recommendations for independant or Irish owned online shops that could be frequented? I did find this thread on the Irish subreddit.

I'm in the same boat, struggling to actually spend money these days. Nice problem to have.

Any one got any recommendations for independant or Irish owned online shops that could be frequented?

What kinda stuff?

I've been doing the same, bought clothes from my local boutique who went online, same with my local opticians who.are operating via phone/Facebook, then I've tried a few Irish wine sellers too

Found a deadly online shoeshop called Vaughans in Mayo and an Irish seller of bulk aromatherapy oils in Wicklow - the service from both was superb as well and in the case of the aromatherapy oils I saved a fortune buying in bulk rather than pissy little bottles from Holland and Barrett , also found a furniture shop called love furniture.ie where I ordered a desk for the oh

When all this is over I'll still shop there tbh

I bought a new espresso machine from 3fe and I reckon I've gone through easily 3 or 4kg of coffee all ordered from Irish roasters since this all started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Any one got any recommendations for independant or Irish owned online shops that could be frequented? I did find this thread on the Irish subreddit.

Tower Records is one I've been frequenting.

Shout out to 123ink.ie. Ordered printer cartridges yesterday lunchtime, they arrived in the post this morning.

Otherwise just trying to buy stuff in local independent shops rather than supermarkets.

• Advertisement

I bought a new espresso machine from 3fe and I reckon I've gone through easily 3 or 4kg of coffee all ordered from Irish roasters since this all started.

Moyee coffee https://moyeecoffee.ie are doing buy one gift one, I got a kilo and sent one to a friend

Forgot them

Advertisement