Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tower Records is one I've been frequenting.

Shout out to 123ink.ie. Ordered printer cartridges yesterday lunchtime, they arrived in the post this morning.

Otherwise just trying to buy stuff in local independent shops rather than supermarkets.
    I used drive 14km to a butcher in the next town over as despite having ten supermarkets between all the chains, there is not a single proper butcher where I live

Stocked up about six weeks ago but havent been since for fear of the cops stopping me and telling me to go home

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If you're going out to buy food you're allowed travel further than the 2 or 5km.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If you're going out to buy food you're allowed travel further than the 2 or 5km.

I know but the cops here can be a bit bolshy. I've been stopped a few times, got stopped on the way to and from Supervalu at 9pm one night and was asked if I was local and what was my address and that was 2km from my house

I'll just wait tbh they are in no danger of closing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Also folks, see if your area has a milkman that coordinates with nearby farms. Not just milk, you can usually get a range of dairy items, eggs, even fruit and veg. Just leave a cooler on your doorstep. Great for cutting down on trips to the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

This is what I've been trying to do since lockdown started. Bought a fair bit of stuff I don't really need in the hope that it will help the seller will make it through.

Can I interest you in a very nice used bridge.....very reasonably priced?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm in the same boat, struggling to actually spend money these days. Nice problem to have.

Any one got any recommendations for independant or Irish owned online shops that could be frequented? I did find this thread on the Irish subreddit.

I like the clothes Due South produce. All made from organic/recyclable material and the designs are all famous Irish landmarks. Check it out.

https://www.duesouth.ie/

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I see they are running out of buckfast up the North....

Explains a lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

My April spend was significantly less than my March spend so I'm trying to put some of those savings into local/independent shops. Even if it's just a sandwich or a coffee.

Same. Hitting up local coffee shop every day. Found a new off licence that never really did craft beers but have turned it around the last month.
    Started a touch of a bromance with the lad in there.
    Another local restaurant have started takeaway coffees (3fe too!!)...went in today and had a great chat with the co-owner.
    Hopefully all these businesses get the support they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I see they are running out of buckfast up the North....

Explains a lot :D
    saw that. Used drink some amount of it when in uni in galway. 2 bottles for 20quid was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

mfceiling wrote: »
    Same. Hitting up local coffee shop every day. Found a new off licence that never really did craft beers but have turned it around the last month.
    Another local restaurant have started takeaway coffees (3fe too!!)...went in today and had a great chat with the co-owner.
    We're putting in a weekly lunch and coffee order from our local coffee shop.

Also buying beans from Vice Coffee. My work local. Good to support these places in any way you can. They reopened for takeaway service last Friday. So some places in the the city centre are coming back anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

saw that. Used drink some amount of it when in uni in galway. 2 bottles for 20quid was great.

We used to use it as a base for many a drink cocktail... Usually included cider and vodka..... Before we'd head out on the town :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clegg wrote: »
    I like the clothes Due South produce. All made from organic/recyclable material and the designs are all famous Irish landmarks. Check it out.

https://www.duesouth.ie/

This. Have a few of their hoodies and tees. Really like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Man it was some stuff. A bottle every Friday night before the nightclub was my go to. The bottles had a number on them. The lower the number the better but never 1 or 2.

I remember going to Santa ponsa in 1998. A friend of mine invited his workmate with him. At dublin airport he met a load of lads from Lurgan he knew. We got talking to them and they opened a suitcase and they had 30 bottles of buckfast in it!!
    Lurgan champagne.

Must check local coffee shops but I'm fairly sure they are all closed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

sydthebeat wrote: »
    We used to use it as a base for many a drink cocktail... Usually included cider and vodka..... Before we'd head out on the town :D
    did same. A housemate I had for short period in uni drank at very minimum 2/3 bottles a week and did similar
    Man it was some stuff. A bottle every Friday night before the nightclub was my go to. The bottles had a number on them. The lower the number the better hut never 1 or 2.

I remember going to Santa ponsa in 1998. A friend of mine invited his workmate with him. At dublin airport he met a load of lads from Lurgan he knew. We got talking to them and they opened a suitcase and they had 30 bottles of buckfast in it!!
    Lurgan champagne.
    top class. A group I worked with on a festival in galway we used clear offies out of buckie quite often.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Also folks, see if your area has a milkman that coordinates with nearby farms. Not just milk, you can usually get a range of dairy items, eggs, even fruit and veg. Just leave a cooler on your doorstep. Great for cutting down on trips to the supermarket.

We're using https://www.mymilkman.ie/

Next day delivery. Great service.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The lads in craft central are sound and their delivery service is great.

https://craftcentral.ie/

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Man it was some stuff. A bottle every Friday night before the nightclub was my go to. The bottles had a number on them. The lower the number the better hut never 1 or 2.

Lurgan champagne.

A bottle of tonic would get ye in the mood alright.

In Lurgan we just call it wine. If someone says "do ye want a bottle of wine" they more than likely mean buckfast. A "10 glass" is the big bottle, a "five of wine" is the wee bottle. The wee bottle only ever acceptable as an accompaniment to something else or when discretion is of the utmost importance.

It's on the optics in pubs in town. People order their beer and a glass of wine to go with it.

I must be a complete lightweight but two bottles of Buckfast would be the end of my night. My first introduction to buckfast was at a lan party, around 2:00am and having had a few I was out of beer and asked if anyone had any spare. One of the lads had brought a couple of bottles of buckfast because he was generally sound like that and I got around half way through one before I had to get sick.

I very nearly never had another one until a house party where they were ONLY serving buckfast and ended up enjoying it.

Been a long time now but would get the odd bottle, anymore than one though and I'd be chundercats.

I've never even tasted the stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Through work i can access OneDrive and Box. I've been using FileZilla and CyberDuck to FTP into Box (unlimited storage!). I have my HD mostly backed up there, it's just a bit of a slog uploading/downloading on our ****ty wifi. Also notice that all files some directories don't all upload in one go, like the FTP program skips files and I have to upload the directory a few times to get them all up there. Found CyberDuck to be a lot more reliable in this regard, actually.

So the plan is to use Box more for regular backup. it's just for peace of mind really, that I also want to stick everything on an external, and update it every once in a while.
    I used to use FileZilla, but those problems with missing files just scrolled my nurd. I now use WSFtp. Much better.

I've a good few friends living in London and from what they are saying the lockdown effectively ended last week, places packed all weekend and loads of people refusing to distance and being completely dismissive about it.

I really hope they know something over there that we don't because I can't see this not flaring up again.

I've a good few friends living in London and from what they are saying the lockdown effectively ended last week, places packed all weekend and loads of people refusing to distance and being completely dismissive about it.

I really hope they know something over there that we don't because I can't see this not flaring up again.
    Bars are doing takeaway beer in some places. Saw somebody mention Manchester as one of them. It's completely nuts. The government flew a kite on the easing of lockdown restrictions in the [usual suspects] press and of course, opened a Pandora's box.

You'd wonder what they're thinking with this sort of messaging.

Meanwhile across the Atlantic we get this...

Who knew tests didn't provide immunity? :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

What's are people's thoughts on UFC 249 happening last night...

Is it about time to get sport going...or is it madness letting the closest contact sport go ahead in a country with 80,000 Covid related deaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What's are people's thoughts on UFC 249 happening last night...

Is it about time to get sport going...or is it madness letting the closest contact sport go ahead in a country with 80,000 Covid related deaths?

It was madness to let it go ahead when a fighter tested positive for it at the event and had been in contact with others there. Its just an awful organisation for many reasons but its clear where their priorities are and it reflects their fans I think. At least they're testing everyone who was there AFAIK.

EDIT: But did I watch some of it this morning? Definitely yes. I am less concerned about hypocrisy than I am about sport

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

As for getting other sports back, the story about Dresden this morning shows how its almost impossible to get sport back properly until there's a vaccine.

2 Players contract the virus a week before games are due to resume. Now their entire squad is in quarantine for 2 weeks. Now what happens to their games during that period? And what happens if the team they're due to play have a similar situation in 2 weeks? I just can't see how its feasible for sport to return properly until next year. Until then you have to accept that any sport you schedule can be pulled at any notice, which makes league-style competitions almost impossible to run in their current structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »
    A bottle of tonic would get ye in the mood alright.

In Lurgan we just call it wine. If someone says "do ye want a bottle of wine" they more than likely mean buckfast. A "10 glass" is the big bottle, a "five of wine" is the wee bottle. The wee bottle only ever acceptable as an accompaniment to something else or when discretion is of the utmost importance.

It's on the optics in pubs in town. People order their beer and a glass of wine to go with it.

We used to put the small bottle in the funnel before going out. Buckfast gets you fvcedfast was very apt when you did it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Bars are doing takeaway beer in some places. Saw somebody mention Manchester as one of them. It's completely nuts. The government flew a kite on the easing of lockdown restrictions in the [usual suspects] press and of course, opened a Pandora's box.

You'd wonder what they're thinking with this sort of messaging.

It’s mad to think they are sending out a message it’s safe to go back to normal. That’s exactly what that color scheme is designed to do. They feel the original message was too effective and people are afraid to go out. Looking at the growth rate of their death toll. That’s complete madness.

34-CC29-DD-6-B05-4-E20-8275-3-E4-FC89-E9-D88.jpg
    image uploader

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    It’s mad to think they are sending out a message it’s safe to go back to normal. That’s exactly what that color scheme is designed to do. They feel the original message was too effective and people are afraid to go out. Looking at the growth rate of their death toll. That’s complete madness.

34-CC29-DD-6-B05-4-E20-8275-3-E4-FC89-E9-D88.jpg
    image uploader

In case the messaging was too subtle, they've now made it clear that it's "whatever you're having yourself" wrt precautions.

Advertisement