Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Anyone else feel level 5 is just a few weeks away

https://twitter.com/JohnFogartyIrl/status/1313235302102847494?s=19

Flaunting the rules is one thing but this kind of stuff is unforgivably brain dead

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Flaunting the rules is one thing but this kind of stuff is unforgivably brain dead

For starters the player himself should have known that he needed to self isolate. And then the club should have known it too. Its also not an excuse to say they misinterpreted anything. Awaiting a test result by default means he could have Covid. It should never in a million years need guidance to inform people that if someone might have Covid they shouldn't be mixing with others. This should be as self evident as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Zzippy wrote: »
    And I say again. This policing by consent is bollux. Time to come down hard on individuals or businesses flouting the rules and putting everyone at risk.

The Gardai aren't resourced to do that properly country wide though, precisely because of policing by consent. Maybe that needs to change, but it won't on time for this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

molloyjh wrote: »
    The Gardai aren't resourced to do that properly country wide though, precisely because of policing by consent. Maybe that needs to change, but it won't on time for this.

I think a few fines need to be handed out and they clamp down what they can. That should in theory improve everyone's behaviour. Sure look at the speedvan sign it changes people's behaviour in black spots on the chance there's a van ahead.

Shops need protections so they can eject non mask wearer's without fear of being sued etc...

I feel for businesses that are effectively gonna be wiped out within a year.

On a personal level I'm pissed I can't see my family for who knows how long now. It'll be more than three weeks that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,430 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Well some of the celebrations scenes were a result of clubs posting on their social media accounts what they were planning. Pure stupidity

Govt need to lean on GAA. Ban inter county if necessary. Put a halt to money from govt if necessary. They need to get very serious and move away from the "don't do that again" BS.

I've a feeling a few games still to be played will go ahead regardless and one idiot present will film it and stick it online

Get GAA to strip clubs of titles for these breaches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,236 ✭✭✭✭Buer

molloyjh wrote: »
    For starters the player himself should have known that he needed to self isolate. And then the club should have known it too. Its also not an excuse to say they misinterpreted anything. Awaiting a test result by default means he could have Covid. It should never in a million years need guidance to inform people that if someone might have Covid they shouldn't be mixing with others. This should be as self evident as it gets.

It's not an excuse. It's a lie. They've made it up because they got caught.

There's no way I can believe a club is not aware of the requirements at this point. They're treating people like fools. They should be thrown out of whatever their primary tournament is for next season as a punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Buer wrote: »
    It's not an excuse. It's a lie. They've made it up because they got caught.

There's no way I can believe a club is not aware of the requirements at this point. They're treating people like fools. They should be thrown out of whatever their primary tournament is for next season as a punishment.

Fully agree.

Their excuse is the equivalent of saying they weren't aware that red means stop at traffic lights following a collision.

It holds absolutely no water and achieves nothing but distain from people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Here is a strong healthy Donald Trump showing just how well he is fighting covid. He is definitely not struggling to breath, no absolutely not

SnoopyGlossyAntlion-size_restricted.gif

Read the statement from Dungarvan. It's gas. They have the stupidity to state that the player didn't partake in the celebrations afterwards.

What celebrations, you plonkers? Under Level 2, you're only supposed to have 6 people indoors or 15 outdoors. Dig up, idiots.

b.gud wrote: »
    Here is a strong healthy Donald Trump showing just how well he is fighting covid. He is definitely not struggling to breath, no absolutely not

SnoopyGlossyAntlion-size_restricted.gif

I wouldn't wish ill on anyone - but it would do America a lot of good if he was re-hospitalised. He's getting the best care in the world and is being airlifted to a medical team who are solely monitoring him. He is using this exquisite and costly standard of treatment to downplay the seriousness of the virus to the public.

That's on top of all the people who are now sick because of him. He is a terrible human being, but I don't want to wish ill on anyone so I will say no more.
    Read the statement from Dungarvan. It's gas. They have the stupidity to state that the player didn't partake in the celebrations afterwards.

What celebrations, you plonkers? Under Level 2, you're only supposed to have 6 people indoors or 15 outdoors. Dig up, idiots.

Idiotic and deeply amateur. No clear thinking happening here at all and as a coach in the GAA it reflects badly on all of us. The crowds at a few of the weekends fixtures have created a terrible look for the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No additional powers will be given to the Gardaí.

It seems to me that Level 5 would have been pretty pointless. The gombeens who are irresponsible or uncaring now aren't going to change under Level 5, as long as the government is unwilling to actually prosecute them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I wouldn't wish ill on anyone - but it would do America a lot of good if he was re-hospitalised. He's getting the best care in the world and is being airlifted to a medical team who are solely monitoring him. He is using this exquisite and costly standard of treatment to downplay the seriousness of the virus to the public.

That's on top of all the people who are now sick because of him. He is a terrible human being, but I don't want to wish ill on anyone so I will say no more.

Nah. F*ck him. The world is a safer place without Donald Trump. I hope he dies or rots on a ventilator for the next 3 months.

Nah. F*ck him. The world is a safer place without Donald Trump. I hope he dies or rots on a ventilator for the next 3 months.

Ah grand - I thought it would be ban-able to wish death on him.

It would almost immediately save thousands of lives if he did and he is such a monumental asshole that the only reason to hope for a recovery is on the off chance he goes to jail after the election.

Still polling at around 40%. What an absurdly ****ed country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Wtf?

I don't recall Trump starting any wars in the last 4 years?

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Wtf?

I don't recall Trump starting any wars in the last 4 years?

Have you not seen what's been happening in America in 2020. Same thing really

Whatever about the content of your wish, think of what the knock on is.

If Trump was to become seriously ill, power would be transferred to Pence and I assume he would run in Trump's position. A lot of moderate Republicans who are wavering or those on the fence would be happier to vote for him.

Pence is Trump with savvy. He has taken positions against LGBT rights, abortion, gun control, global warming, immigration etc. If he got in, it wouldn't be the utter ****show that we've seen under Trump but it would be potentially a more effective and subtle step backwards for the USA as he might actually get certain things over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,365 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

No additional powers will be given to the Gardaí.

Well, that whole thing is absolutely pointless so.

Is there something really problematic about temporary (say, 1 month) powers for the Gardai to actually enforce the rules? I know lots of civil liberties / legal groups are against it, any one know why? Genuine question.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Have you not seen what's been happening in America in 2020. Same thing really

I have. BLM and Antifa have tore apart cities across the US. Look at the state of Portland. All Democrat controlled cities in turmoil. Multiple deaths from the riots.

Trump is a complete @$$hole. He is pig-ignorant, and lacks many of the skills required for the role.
    I think people compare him with the Cult of Personality that Obama had who was a real showman, the opposite of Trump. However Obama was heavily involved in destabilising the world with prolonged wars (ordered 500+ Drone strikes).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anyone for putting Trump talk on a separate off topic thread?

;)

I have. BLM and Antifa have tore apart cities across the US. Look at the state of Portland. All Democrat controlled cities in turmoil. Multiple deaths from the riots.

Trump is a complete @$$hole. He is pig-ignorant, and lacks many of the skills required for the role.
    I think people compare him with the Cult of Personality that Obama had who was a real showman, the opposite of Trump. However Obama was heavily involved in destabilising the world with prolonged wars (ordered 500+ Drone strikes).

Obama inherited wars, he didn't start them. As much as I don't agree with the use of drones, from Obama's perspective it was those or boots on the ground and he went with the former. The Bush wars have been a disaster for the US and Europe. Brexit can be tied directly to the migrant surge which happened in 2010 - 2015 from Afghanistan, Syria and Iraq.

Antifa is not a real organisation and BLM and associated groups have had countless peaceful protests throughout America. Don't conflate opportunistic rioters with peaceful protesters and don't ignore the fact that the FBI has specifically stated that White Supremacists have infiltrated the protests specifically to cause violence.

Your post to me reads like someone who is getting their information and world view from skewed right wing sources.

• Advertisement

Well, that whole thing is absolutely pointless so.

Is there something really problematic about temporary (say, 1 month) powers for the Gardai to actually enforce the rules? I know lots of civil liberties / legal groups are against it, any one know why? Genuine question.

Gardai don't want paperwork to do either. But they will happily mop up the overtime

I got stopped in April while heading to/from work. A park in city centre was jammed with people. I showed them the letter from the dept explaining why I was in city centre.

I asked why they are allowing the park to be jammed full of people and the answer was they are minority groups who will run to pavee point etc and they don't want to have to deal with the GSOC inquiry.

Govt can make a real statement if they come down hard on the GAA. Cut off any cash from tax payer etc, threaten to ban inter county games. Get them to step it up. Some of the scenes from weekend are a result of clubs promoting celebration parties on social media etc there is far too much of this "it will be grand" nonsense. They tried to find a middle ground to keep as many businesses open and protect the health services. It won't work. I fear we will see level 5 in November simply because there is too many people who just don't want to follow public health guidelines. 10% is 500000 people. That is a considerable number who can do considerable damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭OldRio

Oh dear.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,493 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

However Obama was heavily involved in destabilising the world with prolonged wars (ordered 500+ Drone strikes).

Trump more drone strikes than obama

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/platform/amp/news/2019/5/8/18619206/under-donald-trump-drone-strikes-far-exceed-obama-s-numbers

But of course, trump had to one up Obama and reversed Obamas required reporting of civilian casualties....
    So that trump can go killing indiscriminately without he being held responsible

He does the best civilian deaths

Top man

Obama inherited wars, he didn't start them. As much as I don't agree with the use of drones, from Obama's perspective it was those or boots on the ground and he went with the former. The Bush wars have been a disaster for the US and Europe. Brexit can be tied directly to the migrant surge which happened in 2010 - 2015 from Afghanistan, Syria and Iraq.

Antifa is not a real organisation and BLM and associated groups have had countless peaceful protests throughout America. Don't conflate opportunistic rioters with peaceful protesters and don't ignore the fact that the FBI has specifically stated that White Supremacists have infiltrated the protests specifically to cause violence.

Your post to me reads like someone who is getting their information and world view from skewed right wing sources.

The migrant surge can attributed to the removal of Gaddafi and intervention in Syria. The result was more support for Brexit.

No doubt there have been peaceful protests but you cannot deny the amount of rioting & murder attributed to those groups? Antifa were added to the list of Domestic terrorists groups in the US.

Your post reads like someone who is getting their information and world view from skewed left wing sources.....

Whatever about the content of your wish, think of what the knock on is.

If Trump was to become seriously ill, power would be transferred to Pence and I assume he would run in Trump's position. A lot of moderate Republicans who are wavering or those on the fence would be happier to vote for him.

Pence is Trump with savvy. He has taken positions against LGBT rights, abortion, gun control, global warming, immigration etc. If he got in, it wouldn't be the utter ****show that we've seen under Trump but it would be potentially a more effective and subtle step backwards for the USA as he might actually get certain things over the line.

Nope. There's not a hope Pence wins against Biden.
    For a start, he's not on the ballot, and states have already started voting. It's too late to add him to the ballot in many states.
    For a second, he has barely uttered a word in 4 years, he's been completely and utterly overshadowed by Trump and has been the most passive VP in recent memory.
    For a third, much of Trump's voting base is energised by Trump, not the GOP. Pence has zero charisma, he's a career politician so he can't run on an anti-elite, MAGA agenda like Trump did.

The only reason I would want Trump to survive is to face the courts next year, but in the meantime, 3 months on a ventilator would do everyone a power of good.

OldRio wrote: »
    Oh dear.

excellent counter argument...

The migrant surge can attributed to the removal of Gaddafi and intervention in Syria. The result was more support for Brexit.

No doubt there have been peaceful protests but you cannot deny the amount of rioting & murder attributed to those groups? Antifa were added to the list of Domestic terrorists groups in the US.

Your post reads like someone who is getting their information and world view from skewed left wing sources.....

You might want to check where you get your info from.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/what-antifa-trump.html
    Seeking to assign blame for the protests against racial injustice that spread across the United States this summer, President Trump has said that the United States would designate antifa as a terrorist organization. The president’s critics noted, however, that the United States does not have a domestic terrorism law and that antifa, a contraction of the phrase “anti-fascist,” is not an organization with a leader, a defined structure or membership roles.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Trump more drone strikes than obama

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.suntimes.com/platform/amp/news/2019/5/8/18619206/under-donald-trump-drone-strikes-far-exceed-obama-s-numbers

But of course, trump had to one up Obama and reversed Obamas required reporting of civilian casualties....
    So that trump can go killing indiscriminately without he being held responsible

He does the best civilian deaths

Top man

I googled too...

https://www.cfr.org/blog/obamas-final-drone-strike-data

You might want to check where you get your info from.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/what-antifa-trump.html

I was mistaken. I read about it weeks ago and assumed it was a done deal by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The biggest international threat posed by Trump is his level of financial peril. If the EC rubber stamp his defeat on December 14th, he has a month to sit in the white house and plot revenge. All with a personal debt of over $500m looming and that's before you consider the cost of any legal defense that he may need when chickens come home to roost.

At that point he will still be commander-in-chief with full security clearance. Cash strapped, furious at the country that rejected him and now with every crooked regime on the planet on the phone looking for favors.

There's a strong case to be made that Biden's first order of business should be cutting a deal with Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment in exchange for full immunity.

Advertisement