Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question regarding shower tray seal

• 30-04-2020 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.
    Please take a look at the following seal. Previous owners had put sealant over the strip. The sealant had gotten quite grubby so I've removed some of it. Is there any need for sealant on this at all?

f0INFdR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Apologies....cant seem to embed images anymore from imgur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you saying the sealant was on the grout? Or are you talking about the seal at the corner, which looks like silicone? Not seeing any 'strips'.

In the 2nd pic it looks like a plastic strip. I could be wrong but i think it is going partially under the tiles above it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Looks like there's a plastic shower seal tiled in place already, like the ones shown below. As you guessed, it's put in place prior to tiling, and the tiles are laid over it.

sealux-reg-range.jpg

I'm guessing that it may not have been sealing properly, and someone in the past skimmed it with sealant to make it watertight. Personally, I'd apply a thin bead of white sealant where the seal meets the shower tray, and in the inside corner where the two strips of seal meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Think I might have something similar in my shower tray, as per attached. Old silicone seal at black arrow needs replacing, but should I also apply some at gap at blue arrow? Looks like a pvc trim, but no idea how sealed it is underneath

Advertisement