Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with BT Mini Whole Home WiFi Mesh - Help Needed

Options
  • 30-04-2020 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭

Disregard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

I won't start a new thread as this title describes my issue....

I have recently installed the BT Whole Home Mini + 1 disc - 4 in total.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Seamless-Connection-Everywhere-Complete/dp/B07RRWL39N/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bt+whole+home+mini&qid=1603372548&s=computers&sr=1-1

I have 250Mb Virgin Media broadband - the white router.

Everything works quite well, except for NowTV. Although the NowTV stick is <2m from the 1st disc (which is connected via ethernet to the VM Router) it won't connect. It says the internet connection is poor/unstable etc. But it's not. My mobile phone has 200Mb speeds according to the BT Whole Home app.

Apparently, there can be an issue with 2.4GHz and 5GHz and the way to fix this is to login to the BT disc via the IP address or bt.whole.home or mybtdevice.home.

I can't log in to either of these addresses - can anyone advise how I could resolve this?

(NowTV worked perfectly well with the VMwifi, and when I try to connect via this again, the signal is very poor on the NowTV display page. If I disconnect the BT discs completely, it works fine.)

Many thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hi Clareman - thanks for the quick response!

The first link you posted describes my issue exactly. Unfortunately, I can't access the router via the IP address or the address bthomehub.home

Error Message:

This site can’t be reachedmybtdevice.home’s server IP address could not be found.
    Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
    DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Tomorrow, I'm going to unplug all the discs and factory re-set them all - in case that might do something - any other ideas or suggestions would be very welcome!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Is the device you are trying to connect to BT box on the same network? if you are trying to connect to it connected to the VM box or over connected via cable it mightn't work.

To see if you can get to the router goto a command promt (start-run-cmd and press enter) and enter ping 192.168.1.254 and see if you get a reply.

I've connected the laptop to the wireless BT mesh and unplugged the ethernet cable from the laptop.

I can't ping that IP address - timed out, but I can ping other devices on the mesh network.

Do I have the right IP address for the 1st disc? I'll see what I can find...

I still cant access btwhole.home or BT My DEvice though...

• Advertisement

I can ping this IP address - 192.168.0.171 - I found it via the Virgin Hub as a connected device. I can't connect to it though..... [Sigh]

If you enter ipconfig in your command window you should see something referencing Gateway, try entering that IP address into your browser

Advertisement