Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Permanent Job Losses Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

The premise of the OP is entirely simplistic and wrong blaming the measures for job losses.

I think that the OP posted in good faith.

That said, the OP is either a child or someone who struggles with complex situations where logical thought is a prerequisite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Amirani wrote: »
    Our ICUs aren't running at 33% capacity, it's considerably higher than that.

As of yesterday evening there was 104 people in ICU, what's the ICU capacity in the state?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

You need money to eat right.

Not a lot of it though. I spend about 40-45 quid on food a week and have under 10% bodyfat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    99%+ of people who are infected with covid19 will survive. I'm not sure the same is going to be said about the economic and emotional consequences of an extended lockdown. Not everyone is going to be able to "weather the storm". Good for you if you can, I can too, but I am very concerned about those who can't.

This virtue signaling about how anyone who is beginning to doubt the merits of quarantining healthy people is a selfish arsehole who is directly responsible for people dying is becoming tiresome. Its bordering on emotional blackmail at this stage. Think logically.

How dare you tell people to think logically.:mad:

Most of the people you are talking about barely think at all they need to learn to crawl before they can run.:D;)

road_high wrote: »
    Going to be a very busy thread unfortunately. Some people think this is some kind of free holiday. Business that would never have gone under even in past recessions will go to the wall.
    Debenhams are the most obvious to date, airlines and hospitality have had major job losses already.
    Many thought on closure mid March it would only be a two or three week thing. It’s unprecedented now to be heading for two months of closure and unsustainable

Ah no sure we will be grand.

NOT.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

As of yesterday evening there was 104 people in ICU, what's the ICU capacity in the state?

That's only Covid patients in ICU there's more than that figure again of non Covid ICU patients. And the Covid figure is only what it is due to the restrictions.

People seem to have lost sight of the bigger picture here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

There may be 104 people in ICU with Covid. There are more non-Covid than Covid in ICU at the moment (about twice as many).

Our ICUs normally run at over 90% capacity without Covid.

Amirani wrote: »
    There may be 104 people in ICU with Covid. There are more non-Covid than Covid in ICU at the moment (about twice as many).

Our ICUs normally run at over 90% capacity without Covid.

Can you tell me the occupied % of ICU regardless of patient condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭risenbass

99%+ of people who are infected with covid19 will survive. I'm not sure the same is going to be said about the economic and emotional consequences of an extended lockdown. Not everyone is going to be able to "weather the storm". Good for you if you can, I can too, but I am very concerned about those who can't.

Can I ask where you're getting that stat from? From looking at the official stats I'm working it out that almost 6% of people who contracted it have died in Ireland. Globally it's over 7%.

risenbass wrote: »
    Can I ask where you're getting that stat from? From looking at the official stats I'm working it out that almost 6% of people who contracted it have died in Ireland. Globally it's over 7%.

Rubbish.

• Advertisement

Rubbish.

Can you back that up or should we all just take your word on it?

Do you believe 6% of the population is dead from Covid and 7% of the global population is dead? What's 6% of 4.7million and 7% of 7 billion?

Can you back that up or should we all just take your word on it?

I don't need to back up easily verifiable facts and you don't strike me as the kind of person who would accept them anyway.

Having said that I could not resist here is one link find the rest yourself or don't whatever.
    Coronavirus Antibodies Present In Nearly 25% Of All NYC Residents, Cuomo Says; Un-PAUSE In Certain Regions Of NY Might Begin In May

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/04/27/coronavirus-antibodies-present-in-nearly-25-of-all-nyc-residents/

Do you believe 6% of the population is dead from Covid and 7% of the global population is dead? What's 6% of 4.7million and 7% of 7 billion?

No I said 6% of people who have a confirmed case have died. Please don't twist my words.

No I said 6% of people who have a confirmed case have died. Please don't twist my words.

Actually a significant number of the deaths are not laboratory Covid confirmed deaths but suspected. 140 was a number I read.

Actually a significant number of the deaths are not laboratory Covid confirmed deaths but suspected. 140 was a number I read.

Shut up.

Yes I know billy fell down the stairs and had a stoke after getting hit by a steamroller but what has that got to do with anything?

Clearly a covid 19 death who are you to say otherwise?

:P

That's fine, all I was pointing to was the percentage based off of the official stats.

Wow if it's 140 it would be way off what is being released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Considering the fatality rate unless you have an underlying condition you will have a greater chance of dying from something else in the next year or two rather than Covid.

Mathematically, completely and utterly total nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

road_high wrote: »
    Going to be a very busy thread unfortunately. Some people think this is some kind of free holiday. Business that would never have gone under even in past recessions will go to the wall.
    Debenhams are the most obvious to date, airlines and hospitality have had major job losses already.
    Many thought on closure mid March it would only be a two or three week thing. It’s unprecedented now to be heading for two months of closure and unsustainable

Did you know that the hedge fund that own Debenhams are 600 Million in debt? They were completely fúcked anyway, this just sped things up

Do you think this government or any government would do this unless they looked at the horrible alternative? They love their VAT and economy money

Do you read a newspaper that hasn't got a red top?

So many questions ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

It's not a chicken and egg sorry. Commerce is what allows one have good health.

So if we have an open economy with bodies stacking up on the streets like in New York and parts of South America, our economy will recover?

Unlikely.

Commerce may allow you to have good health, but without good health, commerce does not happen.

Chicken and egg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Are teachers still getting full pay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Permanent probably are, some temporary may not be, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Even in New York, they didn't need any of the extra beds that they set up. The hospitals were not overwhelmed. Same in London, the field hospital sits empty.

I don't know why Lombardy was such an exception. No doubt we will find out in time, I expect it will be found that a specific set of circumstances led to the system becoming overwhelmed in such a bad way.

From what I can see, reopening but keeping social distancing measures in place as much as possible, and wearing masks in public is the way forward.

It was the first western region to be impacted and there were over 7000 cases before restrictions really started to kick in. Then the rest of the west reacted and locked down before they got to the state that Lombardy found itself in using the learnings from Lombardy to guide their own decisions.

Throw in the Atlanta vs Valencia game in Milan on 19/02/2020, which was was attended by a 40,000 Bergamo residents, (33% of the population), and the virus spread like widfire afterward, and led to a contigent of Valencia fans bringing the virus back to Spain.

Had the outbreak began anywhere else, or even had the virus been detected sooner, that game of soccer would never have taken place or caused the havoc it did. We seen how on the 26/02 Ireland's match in the 6 Nations was cancelled against Italy. That's a week later, and think how that game could have brought the virus to Ireland on a whole different level had it not been cancelled. We have the Irish government and IRFU to thank for cancelling that game despite the misgivings some had at the time that it was an over reaction.

Those type of reactions are the reason why Ireland and other regions have been luckier than northern Italy. They had the chance to see and react after northern Italy suffered and we understood how bad it could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    It was the first western region to be impacted and there were over 7000 cases before restrictions really started to kick in. Then the rest of the west reacted and locked down before they got to the state that Lombardy found itself in using the learnings from Lombardy to guide their own decisions.

Throw in the Atlanta vs Valencia game in Milan on 19/02/2020, which was was attended by a 40,000 Bergamo residents, (33% of the population), and the virus spread like widfire afterward, and led to a contigent of Valencia fans bringing the virus back to Spain.

Had the outbreak began anywhere else, or even had the virus been detected sooner, that game of soccer would never have taken place or caused the havoc it did. We seen how on the 26/02 Ireland's match in the 6 Nations was cancelled against Italy. That's a week later, and think how that game could have brought the virus to Ireland on a whole different level had it not been cancelled. We have the Irish government and IRFU to thank for cancelling that game despite the misgivings some had at the time that it was an over reaction.

Those type of reactions are the reason why Ireland and other regions have been luckier than northern Italy. They had the chance to see and react after northern Italy suffered and we understood how bad it could have been.

If we're so great how did it get into the the nursing homes. The one place it should have been in severe lockdown with massive hygiene standards and restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

I’m sure they do, in my sons there are 13 kids in google classroom- a book is read to them once a day and 1 vague task given like draw/write what you’ve done today. This is 1st class (!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

One of the largest commercial landlords in the UK has received only 40% of the rent they are owed for the three months to June 24, and income for the next quarter is expected to be substantially lower. They will be taking legal action against some big name companies. Job losses will undoubtedly follow. No doubt the situation will be similar if not worse in Ireland due to the protracted "plan" issued by the Government/HSE.

It beggars belief in the Government/HSE "plan" that some businesses like Boots are allowed to open in shopping centres, but every other business in shopping centres who could just as easily implement social distancing are forced to close until the 20th July. Social distancing is arguably even easier in other shops when you consider the narrow aisles in pharmacies.

https://www.ft.com/content/5c20b7cd-6616-4e74-a21c-611b3c314647

GazzaL wrote: »
    One of the largest commercial landlords in the UK has received only 40% of the rent they are owed for the three months to June 24, and income for the next quarter is expected to be substantially lower. They will be taking legal action against some big name companies. Job losses will undoubtedly follow. No doubt the situation will be similar if not worse in Ireland due to the protracted "plan" issued by the Government/HSE.

It beggars belief in the Government/HSE "plan" that some businesses like Boots are allowed to open in shopping centres, but every other business in shopping centres who could just as easily implement social distancing are forced to close until the 20th July. Social distancing is arguably even easier in other shops when you consider the narrow aisles in pharmacies.

https://www.ft.com/content/5c20b7cd-6616-4e74-a21c-611b3c314647

Boots are a chemist. A necessary supplier. Same as grocery stores. Clothes shops aren’t.

Boots are a chemist. A necessary supplier. Same as grocery stores. Clothes shops aren’t.

I've know that, but in a phased re-opening, it's easier for their neighbouring shops to implement social distancing. I don't see the logic in forcing them to close until 20th July.

GazzaL wrote: »
    I've know that, but in a phased re-opening, it's easier for their neighbouring shops to implement social distancing. I don't see the logic in forcing them to close until 20th July.

I imagine that it’s to keep footfall to a minimum.

• Advertisement

Eventbrite will be cutting jobs in Ireland. They are reducing their global workforce by 45%.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/eventbrite-staff-cuts-to-include-cork-workers-997192.html

Advertisement