Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surprise salary reduction / Covid-19 Wage Subsidy

Options
  • 01-05-2020 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Morning everyone,

I'm wondering if someone might be able to advise.

Just received my payslip for the previous month.
    My employer has put me on the wage subsidy scheme and reduced my wages without informing me.

The combined subsidy and their 'top-up' is 75% of my normal gross pay.
    I've received a tax refund (no taxes paid at all this month), this has brought my net pay up by 10% over what I usually get.

I've come out on top, which is great.
    But now am concerned that this will impact future tax liabilities, due to that refund.
    And what looks like on paper - a 25% pay cut.

I understand the situation at the moment, and appreciate that.
    But I am also fully aware that they're not decent people/ employers.
    So do not want a decision they made - with out informing me - to have any affect on me with out so much as a discussion and some sort of agreement.

E.g. I walk into a bank tomorrow and ask for a mortgage. They look at my payslip.
    Am I now on 25% less than I was last month in their eyes?

Again, I understand things aren't normal at the moment.
    At the end of the day I work (and still work) for money.
    This is their usually carry on, making changes without informing staff.
    Stung before by this behaviour, so just conscious of not letting it happen again.

I don't want to over react here either.
    But don't want someone to tell me in six months time that I should have done or said something now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Morning everyone,

I'm wondering if someone might be able to advise.

Just received my payslip for the previous month.
    My employer has put me on the wage subsidy scheme and reduced my wages without informing me.

The combined subsidy and their 'top-up' is 75% of my normal gross pay.
    I've received a tax refund (no taxes paid at all this month), this has brought my net pay up by 10% over what I usually get.

I've come out on top, which is great.
    But now am concerned that this will impact future tax liabilities, due to that refund.
    And what looks like on paper - a 25% pay cut.

I understand the situation at the moment, and appreciate that.
    But I am also fully aware that they're not decent people/ employers.
    So do not want a decision they made - with out informing me - to have any affect on me with out so much as a discussion and some sort of agreement.

E.g. I walk into a bank tomorrow and ask for a mortgage. They look at my payslip.
    Am I now on 25% less than I was last month in their eyes?

Again, I understand things aren't normal at the moment.
    At the end of the day I work (and still work) for money.
    This is their usually carry on, making changes without informing staff.
    Stung before by this behaviour, so just conscious of not letting it happen again.

I don't want to over react here either.
    But don't want someone to tell me in six months time that I should have done or said something now.

At minimum you should inform them that they did not discuss the intended reduction and that you have not given consent to it. This would at least put a pin in it if you wish to take it further later. Be aware if you do this your employer could try to make you redundant/lay off but they could still be done for this later. However later will be a while away as WRC not running and there will be a big backlog after this covid. Note if you do wish to proceed with above do so in writing.

Advertisement