If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV for Media, Gaming, & Desktop

Options
  • 01-05-2020 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I'm looking for something around "50, for the above criteria. In an ideal world, OLED would be the no brainer, but adding in desktop use (icons, static images, etc), I just don't think it's a good idea. Here's what I need from a tv:

1) Black levels have to be as close to OLED as possible. My last tv was an LG 49SJ800V (sold as a mid range premium tv, nanocell tech, Super UHD), and the black levels are frankly non existent on content outside of demo scenes etc. It was properly configured using baseline settings from a site that does it, can't remember the name now, and I was never happy with the black levels. Some say it's because it's edge lit, some say it's because it's an IPS panel, I dunno...but from my next tv it's absolutely paramount that the black levels are top end.

2) Variable Refresh Rate (ideally gsync, but will settle for freesync as I believe nvidia graphics cards can be used with it now?). The tv will be used for pc and console gaming, so adaptive refresh rates are essential.

3) Input lag - needs the lowest input lag in class.

4) Colour & Contrast - need to be as close to OLED as possible.

So I don't know if I'm looking for a golden goose here seems I'm looking for a TV with OLED specs but isn't OLED, are the above features available in a non OLED panel? I've seen the Samsung Q90r mentioned, but I'd be seriously worried about the purple tint around the screen edges that has been touted. Have you any ideas/suggestions as to what I might look to buy guys?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Inviere wrote: »
    Hi folks

I'm looking for something around "50, for the above criteria. In an ideal world, OLED would be the no brainer, but adding in desktop use (icons, static images, etc), I just don't think it's a good idea. Here's what I need from a tv:

1) Black levels have to be as close to OLED as possible. My last tv was an LG 49SJ800V (sold as a mid range premium tv, nanocell tech, Super UHD), and the black levels are frankly non existent on content outside of demo scenes etc. It was properly configured using baseline settings from a site that does it, can't remember the name now, and I was never happy with the black levels. Some say it's because it's edge lit, some say it's because it's an IPS panel, I dunno...but from my next tv it's absolutely paramount that the black levels are top end.

2) Variable Refresh Rate (ideally gsync, but will settle for freesync as I believe nvidia graphics cards can be used with it now?). The tv will be used for pc and console gaming, so adaptive refresh rates are essential.

3) Input lag - needs the lowest input lag in class.

4) Colour & Contrast - need to be as close to OLED as possible.

So I don't know if I'm looking for a golden goose here seems I'm looking for a TV with OLED specs but isn't OLED, are the above features available in a non OLED panel? I've seen the Samsung Q90r mentioned, but I'd be seriously worried about the purple tint around the screen edges that has been touted. Have you any ideas/suggestions as to what I might look to buy guys?
    Hi Inviere,

Thanks for the post!

To be honest I don't think you'll find many LED TVs that will match the OLEDs for black levels as the panel type is completely different. For the best 49-50" I would look at either the Sonys or the Samsung QLEDs as they will give the best image quality although if you're worried about the QLEDs you're probably better with a Sony. 

I would start off looking at the Sony KD49XG9005 at £799. This is one of the best LED TVs at that size with a native 100Hz panel and great contrast (still nowhere near as good as the OLEDs though). I can't find any information for the input lag or for Freesync for this Tv though:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204033-sony-bravia-kd49xg9005bu-49-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-android-tv-youview.aspx

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭Inviere

Thanks David, I'll check that model out. On the subject of QLED, in your experience have you seen the purple hue that's touted as framing the picture on the Q90r? It seems to tick almost all the boxes, but if I seen that hue when I powered it on I'd be gutted. Appreciate the reply!

Thanks David, I'll check that model out. On the subject of QLED, in your experience have you seen the purple hue that's touted as framing the picture on the Q90r? It seems to tick almost all the boxes, but if I seen that hue when I powered it on I'd be gutted. Appreciate the reply!
    Hi Inviere.

The Purple Hue is nothing something I have seen myself. I don't think we have had any customers complain about this either on the QLED sets and we have sold a good few of the Q90r's.
    There are mentions of it online but I suppose its like everything in production if you look hard enough you can find faults with everything that has been manufactured.

There is no way for us to be able to check the televisions before shipping them as our warehouse cannot perform this action.

If this is a worry for you it might be best to give QLED a miss to avoid disappointment.

Let me know your thoughts.

Kenny.

Hi Inviere.

The Purple Hue is nothing something I have seen myself. I don't think we have had any customers complain about this either on the QLED sets and we have sold a good few of the Q90r's.
    There are mentions of it online but I suppose its like everything in production if you look hard enough you can find faults with everything that has been manufactured.

There is no way for us to be able to check the televisions before shipping them as our warehouse cannot perform this action.

If this is a worry for you it might be best to give QLED a miss to avoid disappointment.

Kenny.
    Aye, the problem is ruling out OLED and QLED puts me really back where I am at the moment...non existent blacks. It's mad, I've two older LG 1080p sets here too (low end stuff), and they walk all over the Nanocell 4k LG for blacks....I wonder what has changed with 4k panels that the lighting is so prevalent these days compared to 1080p sets. 

Anyway, I'm gonna check out the Sony you mentioned, and do some more homework on the Q90r David...next purchase will be through yourselves so thanks again.

Hi Inviere.

Kenny.
    Aye, the problem is ruling out OLED and QLED puts me really back where I am at the moment...non existent blacks. It's mad, I've two older LG 1080p sets here too (low end stuff), and they walk all over the Nanocell 4k LG for blacks....I wonder what has changed with 4k panels that the lighting is so prevalent these days compared to 1080p sets. 

Anyway, I'm gonna check out the Sony you mentioned, and do some more homework on the Q90r David...next purchase will be through yourselves so thanks again.
    Hey Inviere.

It can be a bit of a mine field.

We have the Nano cell on demo at the Belfast store and I have to say I didn't find the Blacks washed out. compared to more entry level screens.

The XG9 series Sonys are some of the best LED's on the market in my opinion. Do have a check over them and see what you think.

Any questions just drop us a post or a PM.

Kenny.

• Advertisement

So neither the Sony KD49XG9005 and the Samsung Q90r support HDMI 2.1, so that's a deal breaker guys. The next gen consoles are a few months away, along with the new pc discrete GPU's from Nvidia & AMD which will all be pushing VRR via HDMI 2.1, so that feature is a necessity. 

That brings me back to OLED, specifically the 55" C9. I'd just have to take steps re burn in, but the tv ticks all the other boxes. Has there been any word on the upcoming CX series, release dates, pricing etc?

So neither the Sony KD49XG9005 and the Samsung Q90r support HDMI 2.1, so that's a deal breaker guys. The next gen consoles are a few months away, along with the new pc discrete GPU's from Nvidia & AMD which will all be pushing VRR via HDMI 2.1, so that feature is a necessity. 

That brings me back to OLED, specifically the 55" C9. I'd just have to take steps re burn in, but the tv ticks all the other boxes. Has there been any word on the upcoming CX series, release dates, pricing etc?
    Hey Inviere.

Yeah very very few TVs with HDMI 2.1 as there are no real sources with it either at the moment.

The NEW CX range has already went up on our .co.uk website for pre order and stock should be arriving very shortly.
    Release date is meant to be the 11th May.

LG 55CX5 priced at £1799
    https://www.richersounds.com/lg-oled55cx5lb.html

LG 55BX5 priced at £1399
    https://www.richersounds.com/lg-oled55bx6la.html

As soon as stock arrives they will go live on our .ie website.

Kenny.

True Kenny (no 2.1 devices at the mo), that'll change very soon though, well within the window of my next tv. So I think I'll go LG OLED, the only question is, go C9 now, or wait for CX. Have you any info on the differences between the two? Also, any pricing on the 48" CX? Thanks again for the help & info as always 

True Kenny (no 2.1 devices at the mo), that'll change very soon though, well within the window of my next tv. So I think I'll go LG OLED, the only question is, go C9 now, or wait for CX. Have you any info on the differences between the two? Also, any pricing on the 48" CX? Thanks again for the help & info as always 
    Hi Inviere.

The NEW CX range has already went onto our .co.uk webiste as pre order.

The 55BX6 priced at £1399 
    https://www.richersounds.com/lg-oled55bx6la.html

The 55CX5 priced at £1799
    https://www.richersounds.com/lg-oled55cx5lb.html

The NEW CX range is using the new Alpha 9 gen 3 processor.
    It has other tech on board like AI Picture Pro, Film maker mode, Dolby Vision IQ and a rake of other to heighten your viewing experience.

Release date is around the 11th May.

The 48CX6 hasn't made it onto the site yet but looks like it will be priced at around £1499

Kenny.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.