Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow site performance

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Still rubbish. Firefox Google and Brave 30- 50 sec load time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Incredibly slow on my iPhone using the Safari browser. Glad it’s not just me experiencing this. Very frustrating, please fix this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Site traffic must be way down. The most thanked posts have around 30 thanks. Normally that's a lot higher, 100+ easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

I’m having the opposite issue. Incredibly slow on my laptop on the full site but fine on my phone with touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Incredibly slow on my iPhone using the Safari browser. Glad it’s not just me experiencing this. Very frustrating, please fix this

It’s strange! On my iPhone 11, it’s so slow but on my old iPhone 6S it’s perfect.

Same browsers (Safari) / Same WiFi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

There isn't any logic to why it's working fine on some browsers and not on others. We've two Windows 10 laptops here. It's flying on Edge on one and crawling on the other, for example.

What's more worrying is that there doesn't seem to be anybody trying to fix this. Does boards not have any personnel who have the skillsets to sort this out. Maybe they might consider a shout out to boards users who might be able to help?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Please let the hamsters know they should mark notifications in the notification queue as complete once they've been sent.

I keep getting the same notifications multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

glasso wrote: »
    this has improved things in Chrome desktop for me

1. Delete specific cookies

On your computer, open Chrome.
    At the top right, click More. Settings.
    Under "Privacy and security," click Site settings.
    Click Cookies.
    See all cookies and site data.
    search for the website's name. -> boards.ie
    To the right of the site, click Remove .

2.Allow cookies
    On your computer, open Chrome.
    At the top right, click More. Settings.
    Under "Privacy and security," click Site settings.
    Click Cookies.
    in allow -> add boards.ie

3. Restart Chrome

Great tip, thanks

Someone should put a link to this in a site announcement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

For me it’s been working fine to browse this morning and early afternoon but when I post there’s a big delay. It’s occasionally taking up to 3 minutes on my iPhone for a post to actually complete.

Also occasionally getting the “database error” page.

Is this another DDoS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

First day it's been working ok for me. Deleted cookies every day as posted already but only working from today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,353 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Skid X wrote: »
    Great tip, thanks

Someone should put a link to this in a site announcement

I tried all that and it didn't work.

Seems to be entirely random what OS/browser/device works or doesn't.

My phone on incognito worked yesterday, gone to hell today.

A tablet, same browser, same wifi, no cookies or cache clearing done, is working perfectly.

There's no rhyme nor reason to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

On average 15.5 seconds for each page on PC today. Irrelevant of page, browser, cookies ; Chrome, IE, Edge , incognito mode

either its timing something out and flicking to an active cache or db server or its a dead ad-tracker but that would be seen in frontend tools

Once the main php loads the rest is instant so my spidey sense says a dead cache server or something like

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Very slow for me today ... are they trying to download a snapshot of my PC to track me or what ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's been fine for me on all devices since I cleared website data/history and restarted. Pages load instantly.

Weird problem. Hopefully it will be fixed for everyone else during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

It's been fine for me on all devices since I cleared website data/history and restarted. Pages load instantly.

Weird problem. Hopefully it will be fixed for everyone else during the week.

It's like this for months so boards are obviously not really interested in the touch site,I reported same several times last year, answer o got was reinstall boards I did , but it always went back to crap again pretty soon I'd gladly donate a yearly sum to keep it serviced,do it's f all to do with our current dilemma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Flying along for me now posting on iOS safari latest editions.

All totally random from what I can see.

Wonder if logging out of your account and reconnecting may help?

trellheim wrote: »
    On average 15.5 seconds for each page on PC today. Irrelevant of page, browser, cookies ; Chrome, IE, Edge , incognito mode

either its timing something out and flicking to an active cache or db server or its a dead ad-tracker but that would be seen in frontend tools

Once the main php loads the rest is instant so my spidey sense says a dead cache server or something like
    More like 25/ 30 seconds on my phone shame really I live boards

• Registered Users Posts: 86,502 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I've logged out cleared cache history etc., and I think it is even slower, any further update from the team on fixing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Boards Staff: It's the Nodes....

glasso: It's your cookies...

@glasso, well cookies it seems to be as on multiple devices deleting them made everything super fast.

Boards, I think you have some explaining to do here!

Boards Staff: It's the Nodes....

glasso: It's your cookies...

@glasso, well cookies it seems to be as on multiple devices deleting them made everything super fast.

Boards, I think you have some explaining to do here!

It might have for you, but it didn't for others.....

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It might have for you, but it didn't for others.....

That might be, but here is where it shows that there is a need for explanation.

Same System:
    Chrome - cookies cleared - wonderfull performance
    Firefox - cookies not cleared - crawling

So clear cookied on Firefox and voila wonderfull performance.

Same on a different system and different ISP
    Chrome, Opera, Internet Explorer (chromium) all fine once the cookies are are cleared but with older cookies bad.

So maybe there is more to it why it does not work for some, but clearly if you destroy the cookies it works fine.

That might be, but here is where it shows that there is a need for explanation.

Same System:
    Chrome - cookies cleared - wonderfull performance
    Firefox - cookies not cleared - crawling

So clear cookied on Firefox and voila wonderfull performance.

Same on a different system and different ISP
    Chrome, Opera, Internet Explorer (chromium) all fine once the cookies are are cleared but with older cookies bad.

So maybe there is more to it why it does not work for some, but clearly if you destroy the cookies it works fine.

I've just tried clearing cookies (again) on firefox, and now I can't log in at all.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I've just tried clearing cookies (again) on firefox, and now I can't log in at all.

Sorry to hear that.

I had a cloudflare screen a few minutes ago but now it's back for me.

Try again and also give https://touch.boards.ie/ a try. Noticed on my iOS that safari goes to that that site and works fine without any cookie clearing but IE goes to the desktop site which only works since clearing my cookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Did anyone that is still having trouble try running CCleaner as mentioned in my previous post?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Just clearing cookies doesn't always work. With Safari on the Mac I cleared cookies/website data multiple times with no improvement. (During this time Chrome for Mac and the touch site on iOS were working perfectly.) It wasn't until I deleted Boards from Safari's website data and history and restarted that the site started loading properly again.

The reasons I mentioned that cleaner are-
    1. it worked for me
    2. for years I would delete browsing history and after that run cleaner. Cleaner always finds and removes between 16 and 30mbs that deleting history seems to miss (presumably the cookies)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    The reasons I mentioned that cleaner are-
    1. it worked for me
    2. for years I would delete browsing history and after that run cleaner. Cleaner always finds and removes between 16 and 30mbs that deleting history seems to miss (presumably the cookies)
    I don't think any set of cookies would be that big though?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »

I've actually no idea what it's finding/removing, I just know I'm flying around the site now after days of my head being wrecked.

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    I've actually no idea what it's finding/removing, I just know I'm flying around the site now after days of my head being wrecked.

Check
    boards.ie screenshot
    Boards.ieWebsite Name:
    www.boards.ieURL Checked:
    no responseResponse Time:
    ~5 days 4 hoursDown For:
    DOWN
    Boards.ie is DOWN for everyone.
    It is not just you. The server is not responding...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Esel wrote: »

Could be local storage files of typically 2 or 3 mb.

Advertisement