Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow site performance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

the site remains slow in incognito mode in Chrome. By definition, this means cookies cannot be the issue unless Incognito hasn't been doing what we all thought it does for the last few years.

Must be a server side issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Going incognito did not work for me either.

However, following all the cookie steps as spelt out here worked for me.

The issue is cookie related.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,353 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

JTMan wrote: »
    Going incognito did not work for me either.

However, following all the cookie steps as spelt out here worked for me.

The issue is cookie related.

It worked for you but that didn't work for others (me included).

According to Mark from boards a few days ago, it's something to do with nodes, whatever that means.

An update from boards would be nice at some stage, I didn't think it'd drag on this long tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It worked for you but that didn't work for others (me included).

According to Mark from boards a few days ago, it's something to do with nodes, whatever that means.

An update from boards would be nice at some stage, I didn't think it'd drag on this long tbh.

Chrome incognito worked fro me on my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

General page loads seem OK at the moment but posting of replies is very slow. Often times out with a database error even though the post is usually successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,353 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Stheno wrote: »
    Chrome incognito worked fro me on my phone

That worked for me for a couple of days, but packed up again yesterday (I think, can't keep track of all the variations)

The only thing working properly for me (for now) is Chrome on an android tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

trellheim wrote: »
    the site remains slow in incognito mode in Chrome. By definition, this means cookies cannot be the issue unless Incognito hasn't been doing what we all thought it does for the last few years.

Must be a server side issue.

It's obviously server side, likely some hardware has failed or is in the process of failing. How the cookies tie into the overall picture I'm not sure as I don't know how the Boards infrastructure is set up.

The question will be if it requires expensive new hardware to fix will the site owners be willing to spend more money in a period when revenue has collapsed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That worked for me for a couple of days, but packed up again yesterday (I think, can't keep track of all the variations)

The only thing working properly for me (for now) is Chrome on an android tablet.

Bugger :)

Curious question, how can changing cookie settings work if the issue is node related?

100% agreed. Surprising that there is not more frequent updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Last few days it’s been almost useless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Tried all that clearing cookies. Worked fine for a while now its gone again on Firefox and Chromium. Think I'll just d without my fix of Boards for a while.

Tried all that clearing cookies. Worked fine for a while now its gone again on Firefox and Chromium. Think I'll just do without my fix of Boards for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

The question will be if it requires expensive new hardware to fix will the site owners be willing to spend more money in a period when revenue has collapsed.

well if its running in aws then hardware doesnt really matter and because ad revenue is based on impressions i.e number of pages loaded (roughly) then there should be a strong imperative to fix as impression count must be way down

Tried all that clearing cookies. .

Did you BOTH clear cookies and also add an allowance for cookies for Boards.ie?

I think some people are doing the first step without doing the second step. For some unknown reason, both steps need to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

trellheim wrote: »
    well if its running in aws then hardware doesnt really matter and because ad revenue is based on impressions i.e number of pages loaded (roughly) then there should be a strong imperative to fix as impression count must be way down

I think the search may be using AWS but the main site is still on dedicated hardware in Digiweb as far as I know.

Says a lot that they’ve put up a banner ad rather than reply here. Can’t beat that Boards customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Says a lot that they’ve put up a banner ad rather than reply here. Can’t beat that Boards customer service.

A banner ad, that you can't even see on the mobile version?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    A banner ad, that you can't even see on the mobile version?

Token.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

Did you BOTH clear cookies and also add an allowance for cookies for Boards.ie?

I think some people are doing the first step without doing the second step. For some unknown reason, both steps need to be done.

I tried that, exactly as the instructions told me. It didn't work :(

Anyway, we shouldn't have to be trying all these workarounds just to try and use boards. I'm starting to get the feeling that they either don't know how to fix this or no longer have people on their payroll who can.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hopefully Covid has been dealt with by time this finally posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Perhaps Boards.ie staff could give a quick update on how things are going with resolving this issue?

You posted that on a Sunday afternoon on a Bank Holiday weekend, during a global crisis which is disrupting businesses of all kinds? Yeah. Sure what else would they be doing...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

On a Sunday afternoon on a Bank Holiday weekend, during a global crisis which is disrupting businesses of all kinds? Yeah. Sure what else would they be doing...

Then let someone else do it that will. We’ve heard that too many times from them. It’s not as if everyone is tied up with other activities anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Not sure I agree with this, normally I find boards very good at responding in a timely manner - makes the radio silence around this whole thing over the last few days very confusing.
    You posted that on a Sunday afternoon on a Bank Holiday weekend, during a global crisis which is disrupting businesses of all kinds? Yeah. Sure what else would they be doing...
    Can't say I agree with this either. There has almost certainly been a decline in user numbers over the last few years in this site (IMO), the pandemic has probably resulted in something of a resurgence in activity. To allow what has happened over the last few days to continue over a bank holiday weekend is going to drive people away, less clicks will mean less revenue. I would have thought it would be in their interest to get it sorted (on the other hand the fix may not be that straightforward)

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Not sure I agree with this, normally I find boards very good at responding in a timely manner - makes the radio silence around this whole thing over the last few days very confusing.
    +1 on this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

+1 on this

" There may be trouble ahead"
    _
    _
    going on since last year,not covid related methinks

With the high demand for "server space" due to all of the home working employees, it wouldn't surprise me if we find that boards.ie has had some of its resources "reallocated" to top tier customers!

Got a Cloudflare error this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

That, plus it's not like we are paying for a service and have SLA's in place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,737 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Seems to be better now touch wood.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Subscribers are, though I have no idea how many of those they have at any time. They also get money from advertising. If they don't fix boards, there will be a drop in both. They also risk losing what members the site still has if they can't use it. This site was running like molasses before the weekend and there have been people having trouble with the touch site redirecting them to 20 year old threads. Unless the intention is for them to run boards into the ground, it's commercial suicide to leave it in the state it is.

Edit: It seems to be working fine again. Yay! Let's hope they've found out what it was that was causing the problem and can avoid it recurring.

Advertisement