Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow site performance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Performance has now returned to normal. It looks as if support came back on shift after the holiday weekend. Well done to the support staff, but really, folks, leaving it that bad over the weekend does not look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Tork wrote: »
    Got a Cloudflare error this morning.

Same.. looks like someone rebooted something and now everything seems to be back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Seems to me like the site is actually running faster now than ever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Well done who-ever did what-ever was needed to be done- we're positively flying now!

Alun wrote: »

Yep but give it a while yet. It might just be that visitor numbers are way down after the last week of crawling performance.

But, it's good to have things back to normal regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Well done guys yes normality again returns.Where is the spam section for 300 posts to catch up on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yep but give it a while yet. It might just be that visitor numbers are way down after the last week of crawling performance.

But, it's good to have things back to normal regardless.

It was crawling 24/7 - it wasn't a visitor number issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

All back thank you Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Tork wrote: »
    Subscribers are, though I have no idea how many of those they have at any time. They also get money from advertising. If they don't fix boards, there will be a drop in both. They also risk losing what members the site still has if they can't use it. This site was running like molasses before the weekend and there have been people having trouble with the touch site redirecting them to 20 year old threads. Unless the intention is for them to run boards into the ground, it's commercial suicide to leave it in the state it is.

Edit: It seems to be working fine again. Yay! Let's hope they've found out what it was that was causing the problem and can avoid it recurring.

Was probably some sort of database issue.

It was crawling 24/7 - it wasn't a visitor number issue.

Agreed - I meant more that a lot of people may have given up in the last few days. When (or if) they return I'd expect things to return to a slightly worse performance than we have this morning - ie: as it was 2 weeks or so ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's fixed! (I hope)

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Morning all, the site should be better for you today...let us know if you spot anything unusual or broken on the site though today. Thanks for your patience and apologies for the disruption over the weekend, I know it was very frustrating when trying to get on to the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,353 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hallelujah from the OP!!!

Seems to be back to normal - well done!

Still jumping to threads 14 years ago FFS obviously not fixed ,feck it anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Still jumping to threads 14 years ago FFS obviously not fixed ,feck it anyway

At least its doing it quickly :D

Seriously though- just got an e-mail notification about a post that was made in 2012.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Seriously though- just got an e-mail notification about a post that was made in 2012.

Would you mind forwarding that email to hello@boards.ie? Thanks.

Hahahaha vv good,like it- back again to near normal- great, back to the future, boards style

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Site zipping along at a lovely rate now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Speculation here - is it possible that users who experienced severely allow load times all had the email notification of new posts option set?

I don't use it, and did not have slow loading apart from a very few times, and the attachments obviously.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 29,353 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Esel wrote: »
    Speculation here - is it possible that users who experienced severely allow load times all had the email notification of new posts option set?

I don't use it, and did not have slow loading apart from a very few times, and the attachments obviously.
    Nope, I have never had email notifications set for any posts or threads, and suffered the slow-down on all devices and browsers bar (randomly) an Android tablet

• Advertisement

So back to normal speeds anyway.
    Have been redirected to threads from 14/15 years ago twice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Nope, I have never had email notifications set for any posts or threads, and suffered the slow-down on all devices and browsers bar (randomly) an Android tablet

Slightly off topic, just went looking for that setting and its set to no email notifications yet whenever I subscribe to a thread I end up with an option box asking me if I want email notifications - no I don't I have a preference set for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

bubblypop wrote: »
    So back to normal speeds anyway.
    Have been redirected to threads from 14/15 years ago twice though.

I think that is a separate issue: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073263

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Thanks for getting that fixed.
    Alun wrote: »

I think so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

trellheim wrote: »
    Performance has now returned to normal. It looks as if support came back on shift after the holiday weekend. Well done to the support staff, but really, folks, leaving it that bad over the weekend does not look good.

I have to quote this post because I don't think that thanking it is enough.
    Maybe boards isn't massively profitable compared to other websites, but it's one of the more popular of Irish websites.
    It's a bit disappointing to find out that it's only supported 8 * 5 and that the very poor performance over the weekend didn't justifying paying whoever was on call, for 1 day's support.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,502 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Seems to be better now touch wood.

Yes faster for me too now, don't want to jinx it

josip wrote: »
    I have to quote this post because I don't think that thanking it is enough.
    Maybe boards isn't massively profitable compared to other websites, but it's one of the more popular of Irish websites.
    It's a bit disappointing to find out that it's only supported 8 * 5 and that the very poor performance over the weekend didn't justifying paying whoever was on call, for 1 day's support.

Eventually it'll be a contributor based app , otherwise this scenario will be more frequent

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

Morning all, the site should be better for you today...let us know if you spot anything unusual or broken on the site though today. Thanks for your patience and apologies for the disruption over the weekend, I know it was very frustrating when trying to get on to the site.

For the technically curious amongst us what was the issue, hardware, software or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

For the technically curious amongst us what was the issue, hardware, software or something else?

I thought all the official replies made it quite obvious that was something that we were never going to be told.

• Advertisement

GinSoaked wrote: »
    I thought all the official replies made it quite obvious that was something that we were never going to be told.

Cork CityUNFOLLOW
    ThreadsPOST
    iPod repair (9)
    Last poster: Scenic911 14 years ago
    Pet Shops in Cork (52)
    Last poster: beer enigma 7 years ago
    Cork Night Out (42)
    Last poster: yellum 18 years ago
    Where to get a decent bite to eat in Cork (19)
    Last poster: ShevY 18 years ago
    Freds to be enlarged! (4)
    Last poster: daveirl 18 years ago
    Pubs that do good coc-ktails (8)
    Last poster: dahamsta 18 years ago
    Happening again so definitely not fixed bandage jobbie

Advertisement