Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-To Coffee Roaster...

• 01-05-2020 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭

This isn't about the best or the worst... just let us know your roaster of choice, the one you order from most.

Lets see if any patterns emerge.

Who is your roaster of choice? 65 votes

3FE
    70% 46 votes
    Cloud Picker
    9% 6 votes
    West Cork Coffee
    1% 1 vote
    Badger and Dodo
    3% 2 votes
    Upside
    3% 2 votes
    Bell Lane
    0% 0 votes
    Ponaire
    1% 1 vote
    Imbibe
    0% 0 votes
    Full Circle
    0% 0 votes
    Roasted Brown
    1% 1 vote
    Silverskin
    0% 0 votes
    Red Rooster
    0% 0 votes
    Ariosa
    0% 0 votes
    Root and Branch
    3% 2 votes
    Bailies
    0% 0 votes
    Two Fifty Square
    3% 2 votes
    Bean In Dingle
    0% 0 votes
    Craft Coffee
    0% 0 votes
    9th Degree
    0% 0 votes
    Two Spots
    0% 0 votes
    Baobab
    0% 0 votes
    McCabes
    1% 1 vote
    Urbanity
    1% 1 vote
    Stone Valley Roasters
    0% 0 votes
    Other, not listed. Please add in comments
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Bluefoam wrote: »
    This isn't about the best or the worst... just let us know your roaster of choice, the one you order from most.

Lets see if any patterns emerge.

Ah for God sake I had a list of a few roasters now this list this lockdown will have me broke with new coffee 😂.

Ponaire are my local but must admit loved the Bell lane coffee.

WCC is the next on my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Conclusive results ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

The golden bean

My go to is the Kaph blend roasted by 3FE... Can't get it right now, without taking a trip to town.

Interesting set of information... So far we have a sizable response 27 people & a condensed group of roasters being used as their primary source.

It's great to have options, but is the market saturated? (thats only a question, not a statement). Who are the various roasters serving? Local patrons, businesses, their own premisis, other coffee shops?

I'm generally interested to understand the dynamic ater the lock'in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I chose Bailies as they are who I have my current sub with I use maybe 30g of coffee per day for aero/pourover from Bailies but I also get bags of coffee from my local coffee shop that both myself and my wife enjoy in French Press, the roaster of that coffee wasn't listed and I don't think it was a multiple choice poll

I chose Bailies as they are who I have my current sub with I use maybe 30g of coffee per day for aero/pourover from Bailies but I also get bags of coffee from my local coffee shop that both myself and my wife enjoy in French Press, the roaster of that coffee wasn't listed and I don't think it was a multiple choice poll

It's difficult to get a comprehensive set of data & I didn't really intend for the poll to be comprehensive... I'm sure people order from multiple sources, but just aiming for superficial info with a full survey. I still think the spread is interesting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yeah no doubt

apologies if my tone was unclear there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

I usually order from Coffee Angel which I understand is roasted by Bailies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Interested to hear he reasons for people's choices

For me it's taste obviously but price is a significant consideration, then followed by freshness/roast date. I'd pay a bit more for guaranteed freshness vs a week old bean for example.

Convenience is a factor for some I'd say - e.g. being able to collect in person/nearby when running short etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

megaten wrote: »
    I usually order from Coffee Angel which I understand is roasted by Bailies.

I selected other as coffee angel wasn't there. Didn't appreciate it was roasted by others.

So... Here's my theory as a newbie to brewing coffee at home...

I usually get my coffee at Kaph (mostly), so I'm using their Kaph blend of beans which is roasted by 3FE. At least I know how it should taste, and I like it. Once I can get that consistently right I'll start adding other roasts to the mix...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭yoshx

I had to vote for Ariosa , every Saturday the rooster himself pulling espressos not trying to rip you off for 3 euro for it and also taste pretty good ! Too bad there won't be farmers market for a while.

3fe indeed deserves the top 3 spots , but it feels that they are into milking the money out of the nearby office workers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

I’ve been buying from SOMA in Cork a lot.

Gonna change it up and try Badger and Dodo for my next order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

yoshx wrote: »
    I had to vote for Ariosa , every Saturday the rooster himself pulling espressos not trying to rip you off for 3 euro for it and also taste pretty good ! Too bad there won't be farmers market for a while.

3fe indeed deserves the top 3 spots , but it feels that they are into milking the money out of the nearby office workers .

Do you think 3 euro is a ripoff for a quality specialty coffee? There is a chain of value involved. Don't you think producers deserve to be paid too for their hard work and risk? What do you think is a fair price, taking into account cafes like 3fe are actively supporting farmers in an ethical manner and pioneering best practice?

Advertisement