Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help choosing monitor 1440p 144hz or higher HZ

Options
  • 01-05-2020 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I recently took delivery of a Sapphire Nitro Plus 5700xt SE and it supports Freesync 2, apparently. Love this card from what I've seen.

Im very out of touch on monitors and would like a decent size, maybe 27 or slightly more/less , whatever takes max advantage of the cards capability. Seems such a shame not to get the most from it. Would love HDR also.

I really want to get the best from the card and my budget is around 400 but I will go a bit higher if needed but would definitely like to keep well under 500 if possible.

Someone on a USA FB group mentioned the Gigabyte AORUS CV27Q-SA 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor would be amazing with this card and they had two but it seems very pricey. I will buy it if its the best value/performance I guess.

What's the best price to performance monitor out there?

Any good sources I should be scouring?

All recommendations, greatly appreciated.

Im sure you are tired of people asking these questions but I'm almost there with a pretty nice mid range build and want to keep it going.

Funnily, it completely and willingly, spiralled out of control :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

HardwareUnboxed do pretty decent monitor testing & recommendations.
    I got an AOC CQ27G2 on their recommendation and it seems alright so far.

Only problem with 1440p 144Hz really is that you have to decide on panel yourself (TN/VA/IPS) as they all have pros & cons unless you spend crazy money.

Also HDR on monitors still isn't really a thing, as most monitors implement HDR400 which is barely good enough for the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

amadablam wrote: »
    Hi all

I recently took delivery of a Sapphire Nitro Plus 5700xt SE and it supports Freesync 2, apparently. Love this card from what I've seen.

Im very out of touch on monitors and would like a decent size, maybe 27 or slightly more/less , whatever takes max advantage of the cards capability. Seems such a shame not to get the most from it. Would love HDR also.

I really want to get the best from the card and my budget is around 400 but I will go a bit higher if needed but would definitely like to keep well under 500 if possible.

Someone on a USA FB group mentioned the Gigabyte AORUS CV27Q-SA 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor would be amazing with this card and they had two but it seems very pricey. I will buy it if its the best value/performance I guess.

What's the best price to performance monitor out there?

Any good sources I should be scouring?

All recommendations, greatly appreciated.

Im sure you are tired of people asking these questions but I'm almost there with a pretty nice mid range build and want to keep it going.

Funnily, it completely and willingly, spiralled out of control :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XLDLZPF/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_EofREbHCMESH0

I bought this when it dropped to £380. It's been excellent and I'm delighted with it.

https://www.amazon.fr/LG-27GL850-B-Ultrageartm-Moniteur-G-Sync/dp/B07T7K2V7L

The higher spec model is reduced on Amazon.fr at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    HardwareUnboxed do pretty decent monitor testing & recommendations.
    I got an AOC CQ27G2 on their recommendation and it seems alright so far.

Only problem with 1440p 144Hz really is that you have to decide on panel yourself (TN/VA/IPS) as they all have pros & cons unless you spend crazy money.

Also HDR on monitors still isn't really a thing, as most monitors implement HDR400 which is barely good enough for the standard.

Cheers K.O.KIKI

I was thinking ips and the 400 - 500 mark but so much jargon to sift through when you don't know much about monitors. TV's, I'm fine with but monitors are a bit of a minefield.
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XLDLZPF/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_EofREbHCMESH0

I bought this when it dropped to £380. It's been excellent and I'm delighted with it.

https://www.amazon.fr/LG-27GL850-B-Ultrageartm-Moniteur-G-Sync/dp/B07T7K2V7L

The higher spec model is reduced on Amazon.fr at moment.

Thanks very much TitianGerm,

Is there much diffence between those two monitors? It says HDR10 which would be fantastic.

Sorely tempted by the second one considering the price at the moment. Might be perfect. Better check some reviews as it's so much more expensive in the UK.

Just don't want to have spent money on a half decent card and not do it justice by plugging it into a low end monitor and not getting the benefit.

Really appreciate your help too. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

amadablam wrote: »
    Cheers K.O.KIKI

I was thinking ips and the 400 - 500 mark but so much jargon to sift through when you don't know much about monitors. TV's, I'm fine with but monitors are a bit of a minefield.

Thanks very much TitianGerm,

Is there much diffence between those two monitors? It says HDR10 which would be fantastic.

Sorely tempted by the second one considering the price at the moment. Might be perfect. Better check some reviews as it's so much more expensive in the UK.

Just don't want to have spent money on a half decent card and not do it justice by plugging it into a low end monitor and not getting the benefit.

Really appreciate your help too. Thanks

I'm not 100% sure. There's two USB3 ports on the 850B model and none on mine. I have HDR on my one but never actually turned it on.

I've only a 2060 and jumped on the panel. Going to do a new build early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure. There's two USB3 ports on the 850B model and none on mine. I have HDR on my one but never actually turned it on.

I've only a 2060 and jumped on the panel. Going to do a new build early next year.

A 2060 is a great card. That was my plan, well a super but I lost the run of myself once I started buying.

Just waiting on case and aio and to decide on the monitor.

Really appreciated your help with that as I'm clueless on monitors but I'll have watched so many reviews by the weekend that I'll probably know enough.

Nice time to be building with very little else to do, although price fluctuations are insane due to supply issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement