Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Brand names whose products are way overrated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

This is why android will always be inferior, apple co-design their hardware and software to work flawlessly together while android is a mismatch of different companies software and hardware resulting in laggy, buggy devices with poor use-ability and badly utilised hardware. Android is also a horrible operating system to use from a navigating around it perspective etc.

As someone else said on the thread, look at any real tech people not your bargain basement type - they all use iPhones and Macbooks etc.

What do you mean by "tech people"? I used to work as a writer for one of the largest tech magazines and websites in the US. I was surrounded by all sorts of tech people. High end android phones are as popular, particularly among people who don't like the walled garden of iOS. Android offers more advanced use cases such as emulation, customization of core features like navigation... and Android has long since matured to be just as buttery smooth as iOS. Even more so, in some cases, as only Android offers high refresh rate screens, and the majority of high end Android devices use the same Qualcomm series of processors.

On the other hand, Windows is the go-to enterprise operating system. Mac has grown to be popular among video editors, but the fastest computer is always going to be a PC, while still being FAR cheaper than the Apple alternative. There are as many people who continue to champion PC for this reason, and windows vs OSX is just a matter of preference. With PC, you have the option to upgrade and customize your build to suit your own needs, and you can dual boot either OS, if you must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Have to second Dyson. Overhyped, plasticky, but most of all just don't deliver on suction.

Cadbury's chocolate too. Dreadful. I worked in a place where all the old Dears buy me a box of Cadburys Roses at Christmas. They went straight in the bin.

Agree ref Dyson, Miele are better, cheaper and more reliable

Capra wrote: »
    Nah, ASICS are a serious quality item. Of course you may have got a bad pair as they literally make hundreds of different styles and they are bound to have some duds. but of all the brands I think they are right up there with the best in their category.

Agree nothing special, I've a pair a few months,same as all the rest

vard wrote: »
    This little film pretty much sums up the Android vs iPhone debate www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0mm086xqQE

404 error must be Apple alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

404 error must be Apple alright
    Must be your Android... Link is live and visible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Ye really need to get over the Apple V Android thing. Its a phone, the all do mostly the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The whole phone fanboy thing is just about to get more silly, as manufacturers are now starting to put out phones with unnecessary over the top specs.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

This is why android will always be inferior, apple co-design their hardware and software to work flawlessly together while android is a mismatch of different companies software and hardware resulting in laggy, buggy devices with poor use-ability and badly utilised hardware. Android is also a horrible operating system to use from a navigating around it perspective etc.

As someone else said on the thread, look at any real tech people not your bargain basement type - they all use iPhones and Macbooks etc.

What are you talking about? I work in tech.

I know its a matter of opinion but IOS is shocking and completely locked down. Any tech person I know used Android for this reason. Its the not so smart people that go for Apple devices because of the brand name and any tech person hates the lock down on Apple devices.

What I find with Mac Books with people that use them is they think their technical but there not whatseover. I know its good for video editing but apart from that you are paying over the odds just for the logo. Your usual blogger type people.

People just pay over the odds for Apple stuff for the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

What are you talking about? I work in tech.

I know its a matter of opinion but IOS is shocking and completely locked down. Any tech person I know used Android for this reason. Its the not so smart people that go for Apple devices because of the brand name and any tech person hates the lock down on Apple devices.

What I find with Mac Books with people that use them is they think their technical but there not whatseover. I know its good for video editing but apart from that you are paying over the odds just for the logo. Your usual blogger type people.

People just pay over the odds for Apple stuff for the label.

Bit of a generalisation there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

FVP3 wrote: »
    It's perfectly legit to use the term Android phone. Everybody knows what that means.
    Yep, I was referring to the fact that they aren't specifically android though. They are phones that come with android installed on them.
    iPhones in fact last far longer than Android phones up to twice as long, and continue to get OS updates for years. It's clear in the data, but just walking around that people are quite happy with the older devices. iPhones are for normal people.
    Apple products are way overrated, and that's what this thread is about. They are not worth the premium extra price that people pay for them. No idea where you get the notion that they last twice as long. They were fined (again) this year for forcing updates that cause their phones and tablets to slow down in an attempt to encourage the user to buy a new one.
    I find the exact opposite, as does the data. iOS is fluid, and most Android devices I have used are buggy, laggy or crashy. To be fair the android phones I use are cheap. I do have both as I said, because I need to use Android where the iPhone's security stops me from some work.

But as I said above, its a certain type of nerd who loves Android. Not the brightest nerds, as someone who is around the campus of Facebook and Google quite a bit because my company does work there, the iPhone predominates, as does the Mac.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Translation - look at anyone who doesn't have to spend their own money yet gets to pick hardware.

And I'd disagree about them using iPhones; its the Macbooks they go for (for looks); and they're running Linux or Windows on them.

iPhones are used by the image obsessed and little else now. They have always been limited, restrictive devices that actual tech people would never want to use. Took three entire OS revisions to fix a minor bug relating to priority email alerts that anyone doing real tech work and getting alerts would find sufficient to dump the device entirely.

First iPhone had about a tenth of the features of the existing smartphones; but had a capacitive touchscreen so it was easier to use that 10% on (it couldn't even run non-web applications for quite some time, jesus). That market of providing a simplified shiny shiny still exists. They're phones for the image obsessed not those who actually need to use them to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Lot of angry people on this thread giving out about certain devices they most likely have never used and secretly wish they could own. Chill out people, each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Fizzy drinks companies in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

JL555 wrote: »
    Lot of angry people on this thread giving out about certain devices they most likely have never used and secretly wish they could own. Chill out people, each to their own.

Standard Apple booster reply circa 1998. It doesn't work anymore. It barely passed then and that was because most people had never used any Apple kit then - now nearly everyone has.

Nobody who criticises Apple kit secretly wishes they could use it - they have and wish they hadn't.

JL555 wrote: »

Nah, just Apple fan boys overpaying for stuff and falling for advertising.

Its quite funny. They wouldn't even know the specs of the IPhones if you asked them.

You would have to laugh at the android fanboys frothing at the mouth when they inferior devices are called out for what they are. I've never ever come across something that my "locked down" iPhone couldn't do. Yet all you hear from the android plebs is "walled garden" and "locked down". Its fully as they probably don't even realise how superior a user experience it is to be in the apple eco system and how all your device work hand in hand with each other like the android boys could only dream of.

I wouldn't even take a job that expected me to use a windows machine or an android phone, couldn't dealing with that day to day.

You would have to laugh at the android fanboys frothing at the mouth when they inferior devices are called out for what they are. I've never ever come across something that my "locked down" iPhone couldn't do. Yet all you hear from the android plebs is "walled garden" and "locked down". Its fully as they probably don't even realise how superior a user experience it is to be in the apple eco system and how all your device work hand in hand with each other like the android boys could only dream of.

I wouldn't even take a job that expected me to use a windows machine or an android phone, couldn't dealing with that day to day.

Superior devices? Give me a Note 10 over any Iphone. I have a work Iphone, I have a Samsung Note 10 Plus as my own personal phone. The Note 10 wins hands down.

There is more customization with Android, IOS is like a brick wall. It just sucks donkey balls and too locked down.

I would rather a 150 euro Android phone than a 1200 Iphone. There's not even widgets on IOS hahaaha

As for your part in Bold any decent company uses Iphones as they are more secure.

The note 10 plus beats any fecking Iphone hands down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Wizard! wrote: »
    Lacoste
    I still have some polo shirts I bought back in the 80's. Their colors are saturated, the fabric still perfect.
    However, the new ones? From mid 90's and later?
    Worse than some Chinese copies you buy for 5 euros. However, the prices are still high.

Nautica
    Similar case, but they were never of good quality, although they are at the same price range of Lacoste

That's because they want to market to people who can through away money but treat the clothes like fast fashion.

All the designer labels walked away from the 'invest because it lasts ' business models in the last few years.

The red soles on Louboutin shoes are actually MADE to wear away faster than normal so it becomes a status symbol to buy them regularly.
    On the Christian Louboutin website, under “Product Care,” the brand states “red lacquer on our soles will wear off with the use of the shoes,”

This is not a manufacturing defect of the shoes. They are made to be that way.

I would say its the same with the dye in a lot of designer clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Over rated? Well, it's over priced for a Rab C Nesbitt condom - https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10223148270759939&set=gm.650446205510202

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭georgina...c

Pfeh nandos. Don't get it. And subway. Ate there twice. Both times .. muck.

• Advertisement

I always feel ill after a subway. Stopped eating there.

Ye crappest food ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Never had Nandos. Was forced to have subway once because friends wanted to go there. Awful.

I miss subway, went there every Friday for the last 5 years or so but haven’t had one since lockdown, subway day was the best day of the week. Delicious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Agree. It looks well behind the glass and smells ok, but tastes like it's made of plastic.

I miss subway, went there every Friday for the last 5 years Or but haven’t had one since lockdown, subway day was the best day of the week. Delicious!

No it's mank. You obviously don't have good taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have to second Dyson. Overhyped, plasticky, but most of all just don't deliver on suction.

Have to say my experience is different re the suction. Was given one as a present and I've found it great on carpets in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Fitbit. Shoddiest heap of crap Ive ever spent money on. Nothing but issues regarding syncing and pairing with bluetooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Asics running shoes. I was talked into spending almost €200 on a pair of these for their 'superior quality and support; choice of top runners etc etc' when I started running a few years ago. They fell apart after 6 months.

Most brand of runners Asics, Brooks, ,Mizuno, New Balance and Nike are all up to €150 a pair.

They bring out a spring/summer pair and an autumn/winter pair.

No point in buying this season's pair. I always buy last season pair which would be reduced to around €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pfeh nandos. Don't get it. .

I don't get the fascination for Nando's amongst some but a 1/4 chicken, mash and green salad for €10 is a handy, decent, tasty, cheap meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Fitbit. Shoddiest heap of crap Ive ever spent money on. Nothing but issues regarding syncing and pairing with bluetooth.

Wife has one, must be 2 years, never any bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Kelloggs breakfast cereals.

The ones from Lidl taste more wholesome and less sugared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I watched the netflix documentary on the Chicago Bulls - the last dance.
    It was good but very 'Michael Jordan centric.'
    I am not really into basketball - was a casual watcher of CH4 NBA in the 90's.

But then I realised that Michael Jordan is still churning out those runners which are made in China and sold for inflated prices - he has some neck on him.

Plus the consumers of those runners clearly only still purchase them, because of the Jordan brand name. Fools and thier money are easily parted. Has to be one of the most overrated brands? Jordan shoes

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

I watched the netflix documentary on the Chicago Bulls - the last dance.
    It was good but very 'Michael Jordan centric.'
    I am not really into basketball - was a casual watcher of CH4 NBA in the 90's.

But then I realised that Michael Jordan is still churning out those runners which are made in China and sold for inflated prices - he has some neck on him.

Plus the consumers of those runners clearly only still purchase them, because of the Jordan brand name. Fools and thier money are easily parted. Has to be one of the most overrated brands? Jordan shoes

Aren’t most shoes made in China? Doesn’t mean the quality isn’t good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Redo91 wrote: »

But how many of those trainers last more than 18 months?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

jetsonx wrote: »

The sugar's the best part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭99nsr125

L1011 wrote: »
    Standard Apple booster reply circa 1998. It doesn't work anymore. It barely passed then and that was because most people had never used any Apple kit then - now nearly everyone has.

Nobody who criticises Apple kit secretly wishes they could use it - they have and wish they hadn't.

Yep,

Had an iPhone 5, terrible it was
    45 minutes, that was the battery life with 12 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

micar wrote: »
    Most brand of runners Asics, Brooks, ,Mizuno, New Balance and Nike are all up to €150 a pair.

They bring out a spring/summer pair and an autumn/winter pair.

No point in buying this season's pair. I always buy last season pair which would be reduced to around €100.

Pffft, and miss out on a whole season's worth of advancements in runner technology, a false economy of ever there was one.

The sugar's the best part.

Agree, for the sake of a Euro or so Kelloggs are worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Lucky her

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yes

The UK kowtowed to the Chinese on this before Brexit. Their steel industry will be decimated by dumping in the years to come. They've already sold the company that would make the rails for HS2 to China just to make sure they are truly under the thumb.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/12/sajid-javid-uk-blocked-higher-eu-steel-tariffs-fearing-shoe-price-rises
    The UK blocked tougher EU trade rules to help the steel industry partly because it could have raised the price of shoes for British shoppers, Sajid Javid has said.

The business secretary argued the UK opposed scrapping the so-called lesser duty rule as it would have “cost British shoppers dear”, including an extra £130m a year on the price of footwear – the equivalent of about £4.80 for each household.

A number of EU countries have been trying to get the rule lifted, as it would allow higher tariffs to be imposed on cut-price Chinese steel being dumped on the world market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The cereals intended for children are full of sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Does she take it off when... you know

I wouldn't want that data going into the cloud

Scrap the cap!

Does she take it off when... you know

I wouldn't want that data going into the cloud

Never thought of that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Sorry I did qualify my post properly. I mean the price of the shoes for what you are getting by the time they reach the Irish shop. To me that makes them overratted.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Agree - I always loved Special K, started buying Aldi's version which was called Benefit IIRC and found it spot on, ended up buying Special K one day again for some reason and found it far, far sweeter than the Aldi version.

Most cereals are full of sugar with bar porridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Superior devices? Give me a Note 10 over any Iphone. I have a work Iphone, I have a Samsung Note 10 Plus as my own personal phone. The Note 10 wins hands down.

There is more customization with Android, IOS is like a brick wall. It just sucks donkey balls and too locked down.

I would rather a 150 euro Android phone than a 1200 Iphone. There's not even widgets on IOS hahaaha

As for your part in Bold any decent company uses Iphones as they are more secure.

The note 10 plus beats any fecking Iphone hands down.

I guess I'd be considered an Apple fanboy! I've used them since they were Apple Macintosh and my type of work involves Macs and no regular pc's. I moved to Android and you're right, they're more advanced and suit as you're in to customising the phone, getting deep down in to the system and adapting it for your uses. But for people like myself who aren't THAT techy the iPhones are more user friendly.

I'm used to the Android now, but at the start I was like some sort of idiotic luddite, I'm still not 100% confident working a business from the Android, so I'm moving back to Apple.

I think that's a fair assessment and iPhone users would agree with me if they weren't afraid to admit they're simply not that techy minded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Cif, Fairy and any big brand cleaning stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Gael23 wrote: »
    Cif, Fairy and any big brand cleaning stuff

Especially bleach. It's a fairly generic chemical you pour into your toilet. The idea of spending way more on a branded version makes no sense
    I can understand people going for branded clothes washing products, as they may worry about the clothes deteriorating faster in the wash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement