Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Brand names whose products are way overrated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Stanley hand tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

da_miser wrote: »
    Guiness!
    Lets be real , its not a good drink, run the guts out of you and the farts are horrific[/QUOTE]

isn't that a good thing?

A cleanser?

Perhaps the Guinness is spitting out what's already rotten. I'm no healthy boy...but the GF is a yoga teacher and is all turmeric and mint tea. She is Italian and loves Guinness. Sucks down a few of them and then farts the whole night long, giggling and not an odour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭bilbot79

ozmo wrote: »
    No complaints with Dyson(cordless models only), Iphone and Ipad - I get great use out of them.

As neat as they look I Wouldn't use any other Apple or Dyson products though- unrepairable macs and 400 to 500 for a dyson hairdryer :O

But Id like add Commodore 64 to the junk list- school mates always telling how cool they were when they came out In 80s (i had various spectrums) - got the c64 mini recently and its terrible - games included were unplayable.

But Rick Dangerous??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Did anyone mention Russell Brand ? anyone ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

lsjmhar wrote: »
    What's agood european car?

All depends on your definition of "good" is. For me the best balance of reliability, cost and build quality is Skoda. Others might want performance, nice design and reliability or running cost isn't as important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Andrex toilet rolls.
    Way overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

chosen1 wrote: »
    Fair enough the bottom of them are manky but I find they're the only ones that are capable of actually drying your hands.

Agreed. Nobody seems to know how to use them properly. I see people sticking both hands in and rubbing them together, like the more traditional air dryers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

MastiffMrs wrote: »
    Citroen and newest Peugeot range, really stylish, reliable and cheap to run. Some renaults are good too.

Agree 100% that German cars are overhyped and overpriced.

That newest family sized Peugeot, the 508, is one of the best looking cars I’ve seen in a long while.

I think Peugeot are in the middle of sharing mechanicals with Opel and soon they’ll be in the same company as Fiat and Chrysler. Once the accuntants get their way, anything can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That newest family sized Peugeot, the 508, is one of the best looking cars I’ve seen in a long while.

I think Peugeot are in the middle of sharing mechanicals with Opel and soon they’ll be in the same company as Fiat and Chrysler. Once the accuntants get their way, anything can happen.

Peugeot are better and more profitable than any of those so i reckon they'll try up the others quality rather than the others dragging them down. Made huge strides in the past few years, nice image and style to go with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Were Peugot not considered a bit dodge for reliability a few years back? Did something change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Were Peugot not considered a bit dodge for reliability a few years back? Did something change

Yes early 2000s to late 2000s they had a bad period of awful medicocre cars with poor build quality and reliability issues.
    They straightened themselves out with a major focus on quality and driveability, away from the horrid bloated MPV style cars like the 307, old 3008 which were way off the pace. About 2012 onwards the cars are much better and now topping awards for relaibility.
    They’re a lesson of how you can rebuild a brand with a quality product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Wizard!

road_high wrote: »
    Yes early 2000s to late 2000s they had a bad period of awful medicocre cars with poor build quality and reliability issues.
    Why do you say that...? They weren't that bad... I bought on 2003 a brand new 307 1600cc on Wednesday and broke down from electronics on Saturday... Lasted 2 days...

road_high wrote: »
    They straightened themselves out with a major focus on quality and driveability, away from the horrid bloated MPV style cars like the 307, old 3008 which were way off the pace. About 2012 onwards the cars are much better and now topping awards for relaibility.

Nah... For me it is just not an option anymore, even if they are giving them for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are basically no car brands that are as unreliable now as the average car from a "reliable" brand was in 1980. Even 1990 I'd say.

You can still get a lemon; but in general massive improvements in precision, robotic manufacturing and quality control; and materials technology means the old days are gone.

MG Rover were probably the last Western purveyor of generally shonky cars around; ending in 2005 when they hit the wall. Both Ford and Mercedes had specific models riddled with rust issues way after other brands; even though neither of them had reputations of being rustbuckets - other brands got left with that reputation for years when their kit was solid, e.g. Fiat.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Capra

Choke!!!!! Anyone remember when they teamed up with Nissan in the early 80's Italian style and Japanese reliability, some hope, they stuck an Alfa engine in a aDatsun

Oh yeah...cause it was the first time anyone has ever badge engineered anything. If Jeremy Clarkson didn't mention the Arna it would have been totally unremarkable. It was totally par for the course in badge engineered cars back then but something a brand like Alfa shouldn't have engaged in.

Also, I can only imagine you know nothing about cars if you think putting an Alfa engine in a Datsun would somehow be bad for the Datsun. Alfa engines are legendary and very strong. Engines have never ever been a weak point for Alfa Romeo. They always achieved high output per litre, always loved revs, very strong and advanced for their time. A Nord twin cam is indestructible and so is a Busso V6. Their flat fours were amazing too. Even the Fiat based twin spark was a lovely engine once maintained correctly.

I'd love a Giulia Quadrifoglio and would happily take one over an M4 or C63.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cj maxx wrote: »
    Andrex toilet rolls.
    Way overrated.

the texture is more like wallpaper, hard on the anus :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Adyx wrote: »
    Whatever about their software any company that releases a $5000 monitor and a stand that costs an extra $1000 is purely for people with their head up their ass.

You think that's bad, four [url=
    https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MX572ZM/A/apple-mac-pro-wheels-kit?fnode=7b58e337b1d6c61df507c8a7a61b643679e28f46eb4508a823a1801d5fdce4c9c5fa624fd2c7b2d222b92fb0de11e6b715799c96060723893ee5c6f34961f56a4c62c7b449b11fd6a179b3d284e5a14e3b2682a94d815ae636287d53465dc6019c275df4dfb3f38669a81bc5ec04fc73]castors[/url] for the bottom of a Mac Pro are €849 :eek: :eek: :eek:

They've abandoned the butterfly keyboards but it was probably the warranty costs that forced that.
    L1011 wrote: »
    OSX was better than XP then

Herpes was better than Windows XP.
    Greyfox wrote: »
    Now your just been very silly, theirs almost no difference in performance between the latest Samsung and the latest iPhone, it's simply people love the brand that's served them well in the past or looks a little more fancy.

Let's face it, the fact that it's "reassuringly expensive" is a big factor in this.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Found the guy who never used Windows ME

Tesla ............. cult like following and the cars look like a Mazda 626 from decades past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The whole Apple vs Android thing is extremely tedious. If you cannot afford an Apple device then you buy an Android, and fool yourself into believing that your €250 Chinese import phone has the same features, camera quality, and build as something that costs a multiple of it.

It's the same sort of delusion that has people believing the food they buy in Aldi is of comparable quality to that which you'll find in an artisan grocer, or even a Supervalu/Dunnes.

See also - Dacia/Hyundai/Skoda etc owners, Nespresso, and cheap off-the-peg suits. People love the idea of a bargain or an offer, and will jump through mental hoops to delude themselves into thinking that the tat they've bought is of excellent quality.

I use an android Nokia sim free smartphone which I bought for €250. It’s a little glitchy at times but it’s a perfectly fine phone that I can use on a good network for €25 per month. It has a decent camera, does everything I need and is 25% of the cost a new top tier Apple/Samsung. It represents far better value for money in my mind.

I am also a Skoda driver (have had 3 so far). I bought a Skoda because it’s a great car, well built, well finished and isn’t riddled with gadgets. Buying it on 0% was also a huge plus. Again, when I compared it to VW or Audi equivalent models, it was a straightforward value for money decision.

It’s all about value for money in my opinion.

Most overrated brand in my mind - Ballymaloe.

• Advertisement

cj maxx wrote: »
    Andrex toilet rolls.
    Way overrated.

Indeed, on the hole they aren't much different to cheaper toilet rolls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

but xp was way better than 98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

for the bottom of a Mac Pro are €849 :eek: :eek: :eek

If you are still not happy with the 34% less rolling residence, you can opt for more stability

the feet kit is available for bargain €350

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MXNM2ZM/A/apple-mac-pro-feet-kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dyson. I got nagged into buying a dyson and while it might have good suction its a flimsy piece of plastic that wouldnt be hard to break or damage compared to other vacuum cleaners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

Renault

Goldstar stereos

People before Profit

The Green Party (promise a lot, deliver sfa, can't cost anything)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Augeo wrote:
    Indeed, on the hole they aren't much different to cheaper toilet rolls.

Get some Regina Softis, one of the cheaper rolls, softer and stronger 'on the hole' :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

daithi7 wrote:
    Goldstar stereos

Don't think Gold star was ever a premium brand, although LG products are not too bad these days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Brand appeal is second to none though

Yep, to people who haven't got a clue. BMWs are troublesome in the extreme and very over rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Yep, to people who haven't got a clue. BMWs are troublesome in the extreme and very over rated.

Dreadful cars to own longterm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Tommy Hilfiger jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

This little film pretty much sums up the Android vs iPhone debate www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0mm086xqQE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

daithi7 wrote: »
    Renault

Goldstar stereos

People before Profit

The Green Party (promise a lot, deliver sfa, can't cost anything)

Renault were never considered a good product, France needed an indigenous car maker so Renault and Peogeot produced questionable quality cars that sold well in their home country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

At one point France actually banned Japanese car imports because they just couldn't compete.

Goldstar was always a bargain basement brand. Rebranded as LG and moved into the middle market.

Samsung were a cut price OEM unknown outside Korea, everything they made was sold in the west under various brands belonging to other companies until the mid 80s, then when they launched as a brand they got your man from Hi-De-Hi to do an ad:

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

vard wrote: »
    This little film pretty much sums up the Android vs iPhone debate www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0mm086xqQE

It's funny, not sure how it sums up anything though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

fryup wrote: »
    but xp was way better than 98

XP still running on lots of business computers, won't be replaced until it calves

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Renault were never considered a good product, France needed an indigenous car maker so Renault and Peogeot produced questionable quality cars that sold well in their home country

Citroen was the relatively high tech car company in France until they were taken over by Peugeot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The whole Apple vs Android thing is extremely tedious. If you cannot afford an Apple device then you buy an Android, and fool yourself into believing that your €250 Chinese import phone has the same features, camera quality, and build as something that costs a multiple of it.

It's the same sort of delusion that has people believing the food they buy in Aldi is of comparable quality to that which you'll find in an artisan grocer, or even a Supervalu/Dunnes.

See also - Dacia/Hyundai/Skoda etc owners, Nespresso, and cheap off-the-peg suits. People love the idea of a bargain or an offer, and will jump through mental hoops to delude themselves into thinking that the tat they've bought is of excellent quality.
    I would agree with the first sentence, but after that.....
    They are non comparable. You can buy an android device that costs the same price or less than it's gen version of apple, and it will perform every bit as good, maybe better in some cases.

Android phones also are not 'android' phones, they are phones with android installed on them. Android devices are also far more likely to be repurposed after they have been put in the drawer or wherever a phone usually goes to die. Other OS's can be installed on many of them via communities, and all of them if you know how to.

Apple devices (with the exception of their pc's) aren't usually repurposed and apple themselves make it harder to do it, as they render older versions of their OS's useless within their own ecosystem.

Other OS's may keep them alive.

As for the 'bargain' argument, you can buy an equally, or more expensive 'android' phone.

Apple are definitely overrated.

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

Sony are a company I always believed to be overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

With regard to cars, people who buy premium brands are the ones jumping through mental hoops to delude themselves into thinking that the vulgar chunk of instantly depreciating metal they've bought is of superior quality to something half the price. The truth is that you've been conned into believing that (a) your BMW is a valid substitute for a personality, and (b) that it'll be even half as reliable as a basic Skoda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

I absolutely despise Apple phones. The OS on them is just absolutely horrendous.

Honestly if i had the choice of the Apple 11 Pro max (1200 euro) and the Hauwei P Smart (130 euro). I would pick the Hauwei P Smart as my daily phone.

The OS is just shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Regatta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Having had Citroen Peugeot and Renault cars they are comfortable, cheap, but electronically unreliable.
    Products from apple overrated
    FG/FF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Suckit wrote: »
    I would agree with the first sentence, but after that.....
    They are non comparable. You can buy an android device that costs the same price or less than it's gen version of apple, and it will perform every bit as good, maybe better in some cases.

Android phones also are not 'android' phones, they are phones with android installed on them. Android devices are also far more likely to be repurposed after they have been put in the drawer or wherever a phone usually goes to die. Other OS's can be installed on many of them via communities, and all of them if you know how to.

Apple devices (with the exception of their pc's) aren't usually repurposed and apple themselves make it harder to do it, as they render older versions of their OS's useless within their own ecosystem.

Other OS's may keep them alive.

As for the 'bargain' argument, you can buy an equally, or more expensive 'android' phone.

It's perfectly legit to use the term Android phone. Everybody knows what that means.

iPhones in fact last far longer than Android phones up to twice as long, and continue to get OS updates for years. It's clear in the data, but just walking around that people are quite happy with the older devices. iPhones are for normal people.
    I absolutely despise Apple phones. The OS on them is just absolutely horrendous.

Honestly if i had the choice of the Apple 11 Pro max (1200 euro) and the Hauwei P Smart (130 euro). I would pick the Hauwei P Smart as my daily phone.

The OS is just shocking.

I find the exact opposite, as does the data. iOS is fluid, and most Android devices I have used are buggy, laggy or crashy. To be fair the android phones I use are cheap. I do have both as I said, because I need to use Android where the iPhone's security stops me from some work.

But as I said above, its a certain type of nerd who loves Android. Not the brightest nerds, as someone who is around the campus of Facebook and Google quite a bit because my company does work there, the iPhone predominates, as does the Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Have to second Dyson. Overhyped, plasticky, but most of all just don't deliver on suction.

Cadbury's chocolate too. Dreadful. I worked in a place where all the old Dears buy me a box of Cadburys Roses at Christmas. They went straight in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Cadbury's chocolate too. Dreadful. I worked in a place where all the old Dears buy me a box of Cadburys Roses at Christmas. They went straight in the bin.

You could at least have given them to charity! They aren't inedible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

H
    Cadbury's chocolate

:(

You could at least have given them to charity! They aren't inedible.

I honestly tried (I had three big plastic tubs - interestingly I think the quality plummeted around the same time the tins turned to plastic). The second hand shop didn't want them, they don't take food items. A Penny Dinner type charity didn't want them either. They had a surfeit, it being Christmas and they were also trying to promote healthier eating.

Asics running shoes. I was talked into spending almost €200 on a pair of these for their 'superior quality and support; choice of top runners etc etc' when I started running a few years ago. They fell apart after 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Asics running shoes. I was talked into spending almost €200 on a pair of these for their 'superior quality and support; choice of top runners etc etc' when I started running a few years ago. They fell apart after 6 months.

How many miles did you cover in them? If it's serious miles you're not really going to be getting that much longer out of them.
    If you're into running it's well worth getting your gait analysed and proper shoes fitted, that way you can fork out the cash there and then, keep the name and brand and jump on sales when they arrive.
    I got fitted for a pair of Brooks and they were brilliant, if I ever get back to doing serious (semi) miles again I'll get another pair.

Regatta

They've hit rock bottom though, Debenhams and other outlets were flogging them for bargain prices lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Capra

Nah, ASICS are a serious quality item. Of course you may have got a bad pair as they literally make hundreds of different styles and they are bound to have some duds. but of all the brands I think they are right up there with the best in their category.

Suckit wrote: »

Android phones also are not 'android' phones, they are phones with android installed on them.

This is why android will always be inferior, apple co-design their hardware and software to work flawlessly together while android is a mismatch of different companies software and hardware resulting in laggy, buggy devices with poor use-ability and badly utilised hardware. Android is also a horrible operating system to use from a navigating around it perspective etc.

As someone else said on the thread, look at any real tech people not your bargain basement type - they all use iPhones and Macbooks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Durex. Simple

Advertisement