Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closure of Local Authority Allottments

Options
  • 01-05-2020 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

There was a meeting yesterday between Cllrs and Fingal Co Council regarding the closure of the allotments.

The following is what one of the Cllrs (Mary McCamley) reported directly after the meeting.

"While FCC are very aware of the issue with allotments the advice from government is that they wont be open until lockdown ends. This came specifically from the communications section of the dept of An Taoisigh. FCC is liable if someone is infected by covid while in the allotments, under the same legislation brought in for spitting on Gardai."

I had some respect for the way the Government has handled the crisis so far, but I have now changed my mind.

What sort of a medical Dr is Leo Varadker, if he can let officials from his Department issue instructions that are so injurious to peoples mental health. If the legislation brought in to protect the Gardai was faulty, then change it. Don't make us all suffer for your incompetence in drafting the legislation.

What on earth does he think happens on allotments that would make them so dangerous that they have to be locked down? People go there to plant grow and produce food. We were self isolating long before any instruction to do so was issued. The allotments are locked. You need to have a key to get in and only plot-holders have keys.

Are we not in far more danger of picking up COVID 19 in the local supermarket where we have to go to buy our food and vegetables.

What about the Romanians that are being brought into the country to pick fruit. Do these not pose a bigger danger to us? I have many plants which I have grown and now need to be moved on into the earth. I also have rhubarb and strawberries that need harvesting. I want to do this myself, but I am not allowed. Yet Keelings and the like to bring in thousands of foreign fruit pickers to do just that.

Isn't it interesting that Leo's party sidekick, Simon Covney TD, appointed Mr Joe Keeling, head of Keelings, to a nice little number as Chairman of Horse Racing Ireland. This is the very definition of having Friends in High Places and stinks to high heaven of corruption to me.

People have been cooped up in their homes for the last number of weeks and our mental health has really suffered. We need the opportunity to get out and get some exercise and fresh air.

I wouldn't object to an order banning children off the allotments. It seems a sensible precaution as are there will be problems trying to keep them separate from other children, while their parents tend their plot. But on the whole, as adults, we are more than capable of separating ourselves. Maybe you might consider banning more than 2 people entering the allotments from each plot, and that would solve the problem. .

The media is reporting that domestic violence and calls to the Gardai and the various help lines has greatly increased since the lockdown. Alcohol sales for home drinking have gone through the roof. Proof, if any were needed, that peoples mental health is suffering during the lockdown.

I would urge all people on this board to contact their local TD and ask the Taoiseach to recind his previous instruction.

Advertisement