Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue insect eggs

Options
  • 01-05-2020 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

Just spotted these today on one of my newish hedge trees.

Any idea what they are?

2020-05-01 15.52.03_sml.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not eggs. Blackfly (aphids). Soapy waters sprayed on will help keeping them under control. Don't spray pesticides if you can, ladybirds and their larvae feast on these, the insecticide would kill them, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

New Home wrote: »
    Not eggs. Blackfly (aphids). Soapy waters sprayed on will help keeping them under control. Don't spray pesticides if you can, ladybirds and their larvae feast on these, the insecticide would kill them, too.

Does the soapy water harm the ladybirds?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't think so. The soap creates a coat over the aphids and stops them from breathing. Maybe don't spray directly over a ladybird, if you see one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Gave it a good shot of the hose, aiming it towards the road.

Cleared 95%, will make up a soapy solution and give it a spray over the next few days.

See, if you only spray them with water they'll fall off but will crawl back up again. Still, it's a start. :) If you're not squeamish, you could run your fingers along the stem of the plants and squish them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

Planted an apple tree in the garden yesterday. I was looking at it today and noticed little green eggs on one of the underside of the leaves. Anyone know what they are?

Attachments and Boards still acting up, I'm afraid.

Google suggests they may be stink bug eggs.

New Home wrote:
    Google suggests they may be stink bug eggs.

Yuck..

• Advertisement
Advertisement