Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerline adaptor speeds

Options
  • 01-05-2020 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have TP Link AV200 powerline adaptors and a TP Link N750 router. Adaptors are rated 200 Mbps and router 350 Mbps.

I have 350+ Mbps from my main router but only getting 20Mbps from the adaptor when plugged straight to laptop and between 1 and 9 Mbps from WiFi from router.

The set up is 3 years old and has seemed to get worse the last few months. Regularly getting only 1Mbps and have to reset very regularly. Working from home means I need to sort it out.

Is it my wiring that limits the speed to 20Mbps? If I get better ones would I get better speeds?

Is the setup just too old? Would a similar setup with newer equipment yield better results?

Can anyone recommend powerline adaptors that don’t need a separate router and have same signal/password as main router?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Powerline adapters are notoriously susceptible to all kinds of limitations including the quality of your power distribution circuits. The manufactures quote 'theoretical' speeds based on lab testing. Have you considered mesh wifi? I have tp-link m4 mesh system and it works really well for me. It has the option of connecting a wired device(s) if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Single device, with improper connection(including extension lead, sockets themselves, etc.) on power circuit can generate "electrical noise" and, among other things, this could take you "power network" down to ground as packets get dropped and need to be resend. Any power transforming units(phone/other chargers) would have effect too.
    Want to test ?
    Disconnect ALL AND EVERY SINGLE device that are plugged in to power outlets in the house(except router and extenders, can switch OFF breakers for circuits not in use ) - do network test. Bare in mind - this wont eliminate socket units itself and they sometimes failing as well(poor wire connection). Once completed testing(providing results get better) power ON devices/circuits one-by-one and test to pin-point witch circuit/outlet/device causing issues, address accordingly.
    for late night reading:
    https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-tips-improve-speed-powerline-network/

After all - Ethernet cable connection resolves all/most of this type crap - use it where possible....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

It's worth upgrading the firmware on these.
    I have a bunch of TP powerline devices and firmware upgrade made a significant difference for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Niall_76

SickBoy wrote: »
    I have a bunch of TP powerline devices and firmware upgrade made a significant difference for me.

Thanks, I’ll try this first and see how it goes.

degsie wrote: »
    Powerline adapters are notoriously susceptible to all kinds of limitations including the quality of your power distribution circuits. The manufactures quote 'theoretical' speeds based on lab testing. Have you considered mesh wifi? I have tp-link m4 mesh system and it works really well for me. It has the option of connecting a wired device(s) if required.

I did look at mesh. I really like the idea of having same WiFi name/signal everywhere.

Am not sure how well it will work for me. I’m not in a big house or anything but I have an apartment that wraps around a lift. It’s basically a C shape and corridor has no power outlet so signal doesn’t get to bedrooms. I would have to put 2nd node in the bathroom which is halfway around the bend but then it has tiles so not sure how well it would pass on the signal.

• Advertisement

Single device, with improper connection(including extension lead, sockets themselves, etc.) on power circuit can generate "electrical noise" and, among other things, this could take you "power network" down to ground as packets get dropped and need to be resend. Any power transforming units(phone/other chargers) would have effect too.
    Want to test ?
    Disconnect ALL AND EVERY SINGLE device that are plugged in to power outlets in the house(except router and extenders, can switch OFF breakers for circuits not in use ) - do network test. Bare in mind - this wont eliminate socket units itself and they sometimes failing as well(poor wire connection). Once completed testing(providing results get better) power ON devices/circuits one-by-one and test to pin-point witch circuit/outlet/device causing issues, address accordingly.
    for late night reading:
    https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-tips-improve-speed-powerline-network/

After all - Ethernet cable connection resolves all/most of this type crap - use it where possible....

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply. I will try and talk the wife into helping me with this tomorrow.

I’d love to run a cable but I’ve no clue what way the cable ducts would be in the apartment. I know when we moved in rewriting meant a lot of digging into walls and plastering. I wish I’d thought of weak WiFi then. I assumed in an apartment it wouldn’t be an issue.

Seems that I can’t get a utility tool for either my powerline adaptors or router for windows 10.

I downloaded a utility for a different model of powerline adaptor and can see the devices but can’t see any details or change anything.

Niall_76 wrote: »
    Seems that I can’t get a utility tool for either my powerline adaptors or router for windows 10.

I downloaded a utility for a different model of powerline adaptor and can see the devices but can’t see any details or change anything.

I have a pair of AV600 (TL-PA4010 KIT) and 4(using 3) AV500(TL-PA511) and I manage them all using the utility found here
    https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/tl-pa4010-kit/v2/#Utility

Interestingly, there's no firmware updates available for the AV600 devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

50/100Mbs are the oldest, 200Mbs are the 2nd oldest gen. Kinda like using an iPhone 5 today.

AV1000s often give about 150Mb real throughput, the speed on the label is the signalling rate not the effective transfer rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Would something like this work just as an extender? I have a set of TL-PA4010 to extend the wired connection in my house. I just need to add a bit more wireless coverage to a part that is poor.

BTW - living in a really old house built of thick granite so wireless is a problem.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    50/100Mbs are the oldest, 200Mbs are the 2nd oldest gen. Kinda like using an iPhone 5 today.

AV1000s often give about 150Mb real throughput, the speed on the label is the signalling rate not the effective transfer rate.

So it’s not the wiring that is limiting it so much? A lot is to do with the powerline devices themselves?

I have a pair of AV600 (TL-PA4010 KIT) and 4(using 3) AV500(TL-PA511) and I manage them all using the utility found here
    https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/tl-pa4010-kit/v2/#Utility

Interestingly, there's no firmware updates available for the AV600 devices.

This is the one I have and I just see the 2 adaptors and can rename both and delete one. It’s showing 55-80 Mbps but that’s not what my speed test says.

I got a tool for the router and it didn’t recognise it. Maybe my main issue is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭Inviere

ED E wrote: »
    the speed on the label is the signalling rate not the effective transfer rate.

This. Once you realise this, you'll be a bit miffed at the way they're allowed advertise these. In truth, you should completely forget about whatever speeds the box says they do. Basically, unless it's got a gigabit nic (AV1000's+), then you're limited to a speed called fast-internet, which translates as follows:

Fast-Internet = 10/100 - this means the MAX throughput of a device using fast-internt speeds will be 100Mbps (Megabits per second), which is 12.5MBps (MegaBYTES per second).

Gigabit = 10/100/1000 - this means the MAX throughput of a device using gigabit speeds will be 1000Mbps (Megabits per second), which is 125MBps (MegaBYTES per second).

So you'll see AV200's, AV400's, AV600's, etc....doesn't matter, they're ALL fast-ethernet meaning they'll never go above 12.5MBps. You won't see a speed increase until you use something with a gigabit NIC. So using an AV1200 for example, you'll see 125MBps

^^even then, those speeds are theoretical maximums, things like interference etc will drop speeds further. I switched from powerlines to a proper gigabit MESH wifi system and was blown away by the difference, will never go back to powerlines again.

Inviere wrote: »
    This. Once you realise this, you'll be a bit miffed at the way they're allowed advertise these. In truth, you should completely forget about whatever speeds the box says they do. Basically, unless it's got a gigabit nic (AV1000's+), then you're limited to a speed called fast-internet, which translates as follows:

Fast-Internet = 10/100 - this means the MAX throughput of a device using fast-internt speeds will be 100Mbps (Megabits per second), which is 12.5MBps (MegaBYTES per second).

Gigabit = 10/100/1000 - this means the MAX throughput of a device using gigabit speeds will be 1000Mbps (Megabits per second), which is 125MBps (MegaBYTES per second).

So you'll see AV200's, AV400's, AV600's, etc....doesn't matter, they're ALL fast-ethernet meaning they'll never go above 12.5MBps. You won't see a speed increase until you use something with a gigabit NIC. So using an AV1200 for example, you'll see 125MBps

^^even then, those speeds are theoretical maximums, things like interference etc will drop speeds further. I switched from powerlines to a proper gigabit MESH wifi system and was blown away by the difference, will never go back to powerlines again.

Can I ask what mesh system you used?

Is mesh basically repeaters stationed about the place? How far do you have between the nodes?

I have an apartment that wraps around a lift shaft. The corridor basically joins two larger sections. The only sockets in this corridor would be in the bathroom. So behind tiled walls with moisture to think about too. So you think putting a mesh node in the bathroom would work?

Can I ask what mesh system you used?

Is mesh basically repeaters stationed about the place? How far do you have between the nodes?

I have an apartment that wraps around a lift shaft. The corridor basically joins two larger sections. The only sockets in this corridor would be in the bathroom. So behind tiled walls with moisture to think about too. So you think putting a mesh node in the bathroom would work?

I bought a set of TP-Link Deco M4 mesh units, x3 of them in a set. Basically one of them will connect to your router over cat5e, this will be the broadcast unit. The others then simply pair up to it over wifi using the app. It's really simple to get set up, and I've seen near enough to wired speeds over wifi...something I'd never seen before, so was very pleasantly surprised. There's about roughly 20 feet between nodes, but that's upstairs in a house to downstairs, through floors, walls, etc.

I definitely wouldn't advise using them in a bathroom, they won't be rated for use in an environment like that & would be a fire risk I'd imagine. You may be able to place one near the one end of the corridor, and another near the other end?

I bought a set of TP-Link Deco M4 mesh units, x3 of them in a set. Basically one of them will connect to your router over cat5e, this will be the broadcast unit. The others then simply pair up to it over wifi using the app. It's really simple to get set up, and I've seen near enough to wired speeds over wifi...something I'd never seen before, so was very pleasantly surprised. There's about roughly 20 feet between nodes, but that's upstairs in a house to downstairs, through floors, walls, etc.

I definitely wouldn't advise using them in a bathroom, they won't be rated for use in an environment like that & would be a fire risk I'd imagine. You may be able to place one near the one end of the corridor, and another near the other end?

Thanks lot for your replies!

I could probably get a long cable and have the one attached to the router near the top of the corridor. Would still be partially blocked by lift shaft but could work.

Do both your other nodes pair to the main one or do they pair with each other?

Do both your other nodes pair to the main one or do they pair with each other?

That I'm not 100% on, been a while since I set them up. I'm guessing they pair to their nearest neighbour?

b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

You could just get a long cat5 cable and run it from the router. It's easy to run the cable along skirting board and doorframe and tack it down, you won't even notice it's there.

It's what I did using a 25m cable, runs from the living room into another room where it's connected to a switch. I also grew tired of random hijinks with Homeplugs with were inconsistent.

Homelander wrote: »
    You could just get a long cat5 cable and run it from the router. It's easy to run the cable along skirting board and doorframe and tack it down, you won't even notice it's there.

It's what I did using a 25m cable, runs from the living room into another room where it's connected to a switch. I also grew tired of random hijinks with Homeplugs with were inconsistent.

I've done the same throughout the place where needed. I've several devices that are hard-wired for performance, Unraid Server, PC's, NVidia Shield's, etc. There's small/neat trunking you can get that I've fixed onto the bottom of whatever skirting board is needed...nothing visible, no tacks, no cables, etc. Just the trunking. This type of stuff below:

MB05_C03_D02_Renovation_qualite.png

Homelander wrote: »

A non runner with the missus. I’ve no idea why she married me when she is so fussy about things like that. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

A non runner with the missus. I’ve no idea why she married me when she is so fussy about things like that. :-)

To change you of course!

I ended up getting the Deco M3 set, one M4 node and a M3w repeater. Got the node as close to the end of m corridor as possible and put the repeater in a socket in the toilet 2/3 minutes f the way down the corridor. Getting 400-500Mbps download in living room and 50-90Mbps in the furthest corner where the was getting less than 10 before.

Was toying with the idea of a second M4 node but thought I would try this first as there is no shelf in the toilet and wasn’t sure how strong the signal would be for the second node when positioned in a bedroom.

Happy with what I have now though. Will cover my needs! Thanks to everyone for their input.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I ended up getting the Deco M3 set, one M4 node and a M3w repeater. Got the node as close to the end of m corridor as possible and put the repeater in a socket in the toilet 2/3 minutes f the way down the corridor. Getting 400-500Mbps download in living room and 50-90Mbps in the furthest corner where the was getting less than 10 before.

Was toying with the idea of a second M4 node but thought I would try this first as there is no shelf in the toilet and wasn’t sure how strong the signal would be for the second node when positioned in a bedroom.

Happy with what I have now though. Will cover my needs! Thanks to everyone for their input.

Not bad considering your channels are likely being blasted out of by your neighbours.

Don't use powerline adaptors, they cause a lot of interference to Shortwave radio and if there's an Licensed Amateur Radio operator using the Shortwave spectrum they can have COMREG ask you to remove it. Can be anyone that listens to Shortwave radio actually.

The same goes for dodgy LED bulbs, Laptop power supplies, etc etc Stick to good quality branded stuff.

WiFi is more than good enough today to render powerline adaptors obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Don't use powerline adaptors, they cause a lot of interference to Shortwave radio and if there's an Licensed Amateur Radio operator using the Shortwave spectrum they can have COMREG ask you to remove it. Can be anyone that listens to Shortwave radio actually.

The same goes for dodgy LED bulbs, Laptop power supplies, etc etc Stick to good quality branded stuff.

WiFi is more than good enough today to render powerline adaptors obsolete.

The Internet is good enough today to render Shortwave Radio obsolete.

Magnificent!

Shortwave is far from obsolete and the frequencies those rubbish power line adaptors interfere with are protected by local and international laws. That's the difference between obsolete and not.

Shortwave is still heavily used around the world and it's a hobby for a lot of people People including me. Sure I can use the internet to talk on Skype but it's not a challenge like bouncing a signal off the ionosphere and wondering where it's going to land and hearing the reply from anywhere on the planet and getting the equipment to enable this, installing antennas etc and experimenting and the science behind it.

Shortwave listening is a growing hobby with Cheap SDR radios that can outperform Superhets of the past that cost several hundreds of euro.

Even the ESB are obliged by law to fix dodgy poles that interfere with the radio spectrum.

Amateur radio activity is increasing too.

Magnificent!

How is that magnificent when he is wrong ?

How is that magnificent when he is wrong ?

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

• Advertisement

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

LMAO :D

Advertisement