Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C19 and cohabiting with elderly parent

Options
  • 01-05-2020 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I moved in with my mother (76)back in January die to her failing health, Parkinson's plus cancer survivor.

She has some home help but due to c19 with the cocooning and no family able to visit I am providing most of her help. She is having regular falls , especially at night time.

She is at a stage where full time care in a nursing home is required, due to c19 that can't happen for now so I will remain here until hopefully this virus is under control.

I have been off work for a number of weeks but have been asked to come back in in a new role which will be in an office with approx 30 others.

Now I'm very concerned that doing this will put me at risk of c19 and spreading it to my mother.

I mentioned this to my employer and they said it should be fine as social distancing is being implement, although I have heard some concerns from other employees

I have no prob doing the job but I'm getting stressed about the risk.

What would you do in this situation?
    Is it too risky while I'm co habiting with my mam?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Yep. Too risky. Can you do the job from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭outland1985

mikhail wrote: »
    Yep. Too risky. Can you do the job from home?

I wouldn't be able to do that job exactly at home , but there would be an option to do another much less important role but my employer doesn't seem to be suggesting that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I moved in with my mother (76)back in January die to her failing health, Parkinson's plus cancer survivor.

She has some home help but due to c19 with the cocooning and no family able to visit I am providing most of her help. She is having regular falls , especially at night time.

She is at a stage where full time care in a nursing home is required, due to c19 that can't happen for now so I will remain here until hopefully this virus is under control.

I have been off work for a number of weeks but have been asked to come back in in a new role which will be in an office with approx 30 others.

Now I'm very concerned that doing this will put me at risk of c19 and spreading it to my mother.

I mentioned this to my employer and they said it should be fine as social distancing is being implement, although I have heard some concerns from other employees

I have no prob doing the job but I'm getting stressed about the risk.

What would you do in this situation?
    Is it too risky while I'm co habiting with my mam?

Apply for Carers Benefit immediately.
    Your employer is obliged to let you take Carers leave. You must be returned at the end of the leave to your previous position and all terms and conditions. You can actually work too for 181/2 hours per week.

Advertisement