Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have we just made the situation worse?

Options
  • 01-05-2020 7:03pm

Over 90% of the deaths from Covid 19 are in the over 65 category. It’s really essential that we protect people in this category to stop more deaths and hospitalisations. We need to get the care homes under control and a period of more cocooning is necessary.

But the latest announcement has encouraged the most at risk to head out and about.

This latest announcement does nothing to help us at all. Nothing to really kick start the economy for at least 5 weeks...

We need a government formed now!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Over 90% of the deaths from Covid 19 are in the over 65 category. It’s really essential that we protect people in this category to stop more deaths and hospitalisations. We need to get the care homes under control and a period of more cocooning is necessary.

But the latest announcement has encouraged the most at risk to head out and about.

This latest announcement does nothing to help us at all. Nothing to really kick start the economy for at least 5 weeks...

Why do you think the next lot of career politicians and civil servants with one eye on their pensions would do any better? I wish I had your confidence J. The response of our authorities has been at best lacklustre, at worst incompetent and people have died because of them and will continue to do so. Are you so shocked at this latest idiocy?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think Leo told them they could go out but to stay out of contact with other people.

He can't win.

If he had told them to keep cocooning he would have been a tyrant, now he's a murderer.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think Leo told them they could go out but to stay out of contact with other people.

He can't win.

If he had told them to keep cocooning he would have been a tyrant, now he's a murderer.

Yep. It's the SF-way, disagree with everything anyone says as much as possible whilst avoiding sticking ones own neck on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What's the next government going to do? You think Sinn Fein will care about businesses?

This timetable is driven by the virus. The next government will be the same, and could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

NIMAN wrote: »

He can't win.

They were already going out, they were never confined to their homes, some over 70s are going out to work every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Extending your logic, most people who are raped are young women. If they stayed indoors there wouldn't be any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I think it would have been better to keep the current restrictions in place until such a time as testing results are up to date and there are no new cases of infection. At that stage - which, hopefully, would occur within six weeks - the lock down should be lifted completely and all social and commercial activity should recommence with the exception of very large mass gatherings like concerts, festivals and major sporting events which should still be prohibited until September at the earliest. What do you think?

GazzaL wrote: »
    They were already going out, they were never confined to their homes, some over 70s are going out to work every day.

I'm sure plenty are staying in. That's the ones he was talking too.

My own mother and mother in law have been staying in. Just cos some are working and going out doesn't mean loads are.

chicorytip wrote: »
    .... and there are no new cases of infection.

That could be 6 months, 12 months, 18 months.

This virus is likely to be with us on a continuing basis. We might never eradicate it.

We can't just stay in. We have to get back to some sort of society.

total rubbish uninformed post quite frankly

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If they follow the guidelines any increase in risk will be minimal. It's not as if it's been suggested they go out to shops or indeed meet anyone they don't currently meet. They can go out for a walk, yes, but still need to observe social distancing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

All party leaders agreed to the plan put forward.
    A new government won't change it

• Subscribers Posts: 41,536 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

he literally said for them not to come into contact with anyone !!

all my 73 YO mother wants to do for the last 4 week sis to be able to go out for a walk down the road.
    Now she can do that, mainly because of the sacrifices we have all been doing for the last 4 weeks.

if it takes 2 more weeks for the restrictions to be slightly eased again, so be it.

Anyone i have spoken to lately that is in the medical industry has said covid is with us for a long while yet and it will be a long time before life gets back to anything resembling normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Who would you like to be in the positions of Taoiseach, Tanaiste, Minister for Health and Mister for Finance on Monday morning and what would you like to see them do?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

OP, would you be happy if we had a new government formed on Monday morning and they sent a man with a gun and a special mask to every house where there was an over 65 to keep them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭marilynrr

They're giving them the choice to go out, not encouraging them necessarily, and it's the correct thing to do. You can't keep people under house arrest!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's not just the over 70s who have been confined. What about those with long term health conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

and a period of more cocooning is necessary.
    !

This is exactly what is not needed for fit and healthy over 70s. You have no idea of the psychological and physical damage you are causing to this age group with these ill thought out suggestions, which thankfully seem to be now going in the right direction as policymakers finally start using common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Forget where I heard this yesterday but the comment was that this has basically turned people over a certain age into a special needs group in the mind of the public and that they have been stripped of their own agency for well meaning reasons but that it's effectively de-humanised same to a degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Extending your logic, most people who are raped are young women. If they stayed indoors there wouldn't be any problem.
    Except the current logic is if everybody stays indoors, no-one gets raped by anyone who isn't a family member. And we curtly acknowledge the risk of unrelieved domestic abuse, as if its obviously less of a concern.

Screw your damaged childhood, and selfish of you to think it matters. That's the message.

I read War of the Worlds again. I found this bit thought provoking, thinking about the "Physical distancing forever" corner we've painted ourselves into.
    For so it had come about, as indeed I and many men might have foreseen had not terror and disaster blinded our minds. These germs of disease have taken toll of humanity since the beginning of things—taken toll of our prehuman ancestors since life began here. But by virtue of this natural selection of our kind we have developed resisting power; to no germs do we succumb without a struggle, and to many—those that cause putrefaction in dead matter, for instance—our living frames are altogether immune. ......... By the toll of a billion deaths man has bought his birthright of the earth, and it is his against all comers;...... For neither do men live nor die in vain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement