Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC / Virgin Horizon Box, 2x SSID, LG Soundbar

Options
  • 01-05-2020 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭

Hi all, have a bit of an odd problem.

Have a UPC Horizon box which for the most part performs fine. Currently running two SSID's, as some of the older devices in the house (kindle, old tablet) don't support 5Ghz.

SSID A: xxxxxx (custom name, 2.4Ghz)
    SSID B: UPC50xxxxxxx (default name, 5.0Ghz)

Both SSID's share the same password.

Recently got an LG Soundbar for the TV, which I should be able to cast to via Google Home.

I downloaded the LG Speaker setup app, and try to connect via SSID B (5Ghz). Appears to connect, and the fails at the "checking connection" step.

The speaker is then not visible from my Google Home app when my phone is also connected to the same SSID (5Ghz).

However, if I leave the speaker on SSID B, and connect the phone to SSID A, I can see the speaker, control it with no issue, and casting launches fine.

I can then swap back to SSID B, and use the speaker for that session. If I close Google Home, or Spotify on the phone, it no longer works and I have to swap SSID's to connect again.

It's as if the 5.0Ghz SSID doesn't support some handshaking protocol for the phone? Perhaps due to the length of the SSID? I can't verify the connection during the initial setup of the device, nor can I begin casting on it.

Now I could swap all devices over to THE 2.4Ghz, and problem solved, but so far this setup has been working very well so far, and there are lots of devices set to the 5.0Ghz band (7 phones, 3 laptops, PC, iPad, Google Home, 2 TV's).

Of course I can't even see the DHCP device list on the router as it doesn't load at all, but I've enabled UPnP, and everything else on the main page, but not a whole lot of options available really.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I've had similar issues, and no amount of tweaking of settings on the Horizon box helped.
    I am now running the Horizon box with 5GHz enabled, and 2.4GHz disabled, and a separate access point for 2.4GHz, and this setup works great.

Advertisement