Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap sound insulation

• 01-05-2020 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭

I’m building a partition wall between a kitchen and bedroom.

Any suggestions on a cheap method to achieve better sound insulation?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭dermob

use acoustic plasterboard and put two layers each side, insulation in studs. Seal perimeter of new wall with acoustic sealant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭pocketse

Rockwolls pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭con747

SAFE‘n’SOUND® sound proof insulation is a stone wool insulation product for use in interior wall partitions of residential wood and steel stud construction. It is especially useful when superior fire resistance and acoustical performance are required. https://www.rockwool.com/products/safensound/?selectedCat=safensound®%20downloads Not sure of the cost, but you need a fire proof when it is adjoining a kitchen in my view.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Build with blocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Brilliant replies folks, will look into those.

Egg boxes between the studs obviously won’t work then :) (I’m a cheapskate)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Build the stud wall with a 6x2 base and head and stagger the 4x2 uprights so the bedroom wall and kitchen wall are separated. Insulate stud and acoustic slab both sides.
    Door way could prove a weak point though.
    Not really a cheap way I know but the right way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

On the off chance, www.axiFOAM.de

Ordered too many for a job, so have 8 in unopened box and 8-10 more loose.
    Design acoustics absorber square in marbled light grey, 100cm L x 50cm W x
    5 cm thick, self-adhesive coating with flame retardant additive DIN4102 B1.
    If interested send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭StephenS147

Anything acoutic isin't cheap. I would go with RWA45 by Rockwool for the lower end. Then in increments there's the RW3,RW4,RW5,RW6 in terms of performance.

The RW3 is the better one for your needs as anything above the 60kg/m3 is great.

I'm in the process of doing a floor between a bedroom and kitchen and opting for 100mm RW5 as it's the only one I could source.

To give you an indication of performance, the RW6 was used on the O2 roof in London. That's the 140kg/m3. That's why the RW3 is the sweet spot.

Like another has mentioned RockWool SAFE'N'SOUND is good but I found it impossible to track down during these times. (Depending on your location you could be lucky but the rep told me that it's really only available on mainland UK). This has a density of 48kg/m3 which is only 3 better than the RWA45.

HERE'S THE PROPERTIES FOR THE FIRST SET OF RW PRODUCTS.
    3sNHXut.png

RWA-45
    https://www.rockwool.co.uk/product-overview/slab-products/rwa45-en-gb/?selectedCat=downloads

CONSTRUCTION METHODS FOR RWA-45 (see page 6)
    Just replace the metal studs with your 100 timber stud and it's the same.
    https://cdn01.rockwool.co.uk/siteassets/rw-uk/downloads/datasheets/rw-slabs.pdf?f=20190315092546

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

If there is going to be a screamer togged out saddling in the bedroom no sound insulation will suffice.

Advertisement