Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extending Ethernet Cable

• 02-05-2020 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi All,

Hope I'm in the right section.

Probably like quite a few of us at present, I'm working from home. My modem is in the sitting room (Virgin) and ordinarily, I would use it wirelessly for the likes of iPads, iPhones and laptops which up until recently, were only really use in the sitting room or kitchen.

With working from home over the last while, I purchased a Netgear extender "box/modem" and set it up in the bedroom, which would be directly above the sitting room. However, having had the attic converted, I tend to use that room when it comes to logging on and working (with laptop). The signal, even with the extender is just not great and drops out a lot. Having recently gotten a printer also that I want to use wirelessly also, I really need a better signal there.

So, to my query - I want to get a long ethernet wire that I could plug into the back of the Virgin modem in the sitting room and run that wire either through the walls (i.e. behind the plaster board) from the sitting room to the the attic room and then plug in the other end of the Ethernet Cable into the Netgear Modem. With that, would I be right in saying that I would then have ethernet like speed?
    Depending on what issues I run into in terms of fishing the wire from bottom to top of house, I may go the alternative route of bringing the wire through the sitting room wall, run it up the outside of the house and in through the attic.
    Either way, I plan to have this wire running from sitting room to attic and plugging into the Netgear modem.

Based on the above, would that work or is there a better/easier way.
    Any hints, tips or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I've played around with the placement of the Netgear extender but regardless, the signal generally is poor in the attic room. Given I've another few months ahead of working from home, I could do with a better connection generally (which up until now and on account of the poor signal, has been causing my laptop to drop out far more regularly that I'd like).

Thanks a mill

Comments

Can I suggest you get two or four powerline plugs. Plug one in beside the virgin modem. Plug the other in beside your laptop in the attic. Get a couple of short ethernet cables to connect both.

I have two made by Netgear and they work great. These are the ones i have:

NETGEAR PL1000-100UKS PL1000 Powerline 1000 Mbps 1 Gigabit Ethernet Port Adapter, Homeplug Access Point

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BD9TFI4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-5wREbY4WS0Z4

I run a cable from my modem to my Apple TV, the cable is at least 40 foot and drilled through a wall to reach its destination, no loss of speed noticed, and a definite improvement over the older (wifi) Apple TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

One thing to note about the power line adaptors, they really need to be plugged straight into a socket, don’t work as well if plugged into an extension lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

If you wire from the VM router to your Netgear and then patch to that with your laptop/PC you should get the same speeds as if plugged into the VM router itself, providing port speed etc is correct.

I think the power line adapters would be better, unless you can hide it well, who wants a data cable visible throughout a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

minikin wrote: »
    One thing to note about the power line adaptors, they really need to be plugged straight into a socket, don’t work as well if plugged into an extension lead.
    This and they really don't work well with a socket with surge protection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

Hi All,

Hope I'm in the right section.

Probably like quite a few of us at present, I'm working from home. My modem is in the sitting room (Virgin) and ordinarily, I would use it wirelessly for the likes of iPads, iPhones and laptops which up until recently, were only really use in the sitting room or kitchen.

With working from home over the last while, I purchased a Netgear extender "box/modem" and set it up in the bedroom, which would be directly above the sitting room. However, having had the attic converted, I tend to use that room when it comes to logging on and working (with laptop). The signal, even with the extender is just not great and drops out a lot. Having recently gotten a printer also that I want to use wirelessly also, I really need a better signal there.

So, to my query - I want to get a long ethernet wire that I could plug into the back of the Virgin modem in the sitting room and run that wire either through the walls (i.e. behind the plaster board) from the sitting room to the the attic room and then plug in the other end of the Ethernet Cable into the Netgear Modem. With that, would I be right in saying that I would then have ethernet like speed?
    Depending on what issues I run into in terms of fishing the wire from bottom to top of house, I may go the alternative route of bringing the wire through the sitting room wall, run it up the outside of the house and in through the attic.
    Either way, I plan to have this wire running from sitting room to attic and plugging into the Netgear modem.

Based on the above, would that work or is there a better/easier way.
    Any hints, tips or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I've played around with the placement of the Netgear extender but regardless, the signal generally is poor in the attic room. Given I've another few months ahead of working from home, I could do with a better connection generally (which up until now and on account of the poor signal, has been causing my laptop to drop out far more regularly that I'd like).

Thanks a mill

For your propsoed cable run upstairs.

1. How long do you estimate it to be ?
    2. Are you planning on buying a premade cable or do you have the toold to terminate the cable yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭shabbyalonso

Falconire wrote: »
    For your propsoed cable run upstairs.

1. How long do you estimate it to be ?
    2. Are you planning on buying a premade cable or do you have the toold to terminate the cable yourself ?

1. I need to measure it out but I suspect I would need around 40-50 metres plus?
    On the back of further thought and having dropped wires behind walls before (and ran across obstacles in small spaces!), I am going to run it out through the wall (either in the existing hole where the Sky tv wire exits or beside it), run it up the wall to the roof, throw (!) it over the roof (as opposed to through the attic floor), down the other side (to the back of the house) and then through the attic floor and finally out the small wall of the converted attic.
    2. Having had a quick look on amazon etc, I'll look to get cat6 outdoor premade cable and run that up. I know I'll need to snip the wire when I get to the attic so suspect I'll need the correct tool (can't recall the name....crimper??), to ensure the wires are set correctly that go into the ethernet plug piece (the sort of clip in piece that is normally at the start and end of an ethernet wire).
    I'll get a mounting plate and ethernet plug/socket so I can plug the "long" wire that I've run up into the back of that plate/socket, screw it to the wall so it looks nice and net and then I can plug a shorter Ethernet Cable (I've a few lying around), from the socket to the Netgear extender modem.

Hope that makes some sense. That's the plan so hopefully it'll work!

I'll probably order the bits and pieces in the next couple of days and then give it a bash!!

Welcome any thoughts here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

run it up the wall to the roof, throw (!) it over the roof (as opposed to through the attic floor), down the other side (to the back of the house) and then through the attic floor and finally out the small wall of the converted attic. .

I'd be more inclined to tack it to the eaves that throw over the roof, potential for wind movement that way and connections coming loose over time.

I don't know what your house looks like but it'll look dreadful with a cable slung over the roof. If you have no easy access through the house then use the powerline adapters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

minikin wrote: »
    This and they really don't work well with a socket with surge protection

using 2 on networks here going through 2 surge protected extensions, and they work just fine, almost identical speeds at RX end as at modem.

I reckon the wiring layout of the building is a bigger factor.

• Advertisement

So, by way of update:

I got some Cat6 ethernet cable online (100ft - way too much!!). Anyway, I drilled through the lower sitting room wall (near to where modem sits), ran the cable up the exterior of the house, managed to get the roll of cable over the roof, tidied it up snug (to replicate what is there by virtue of the Sky TV cable), ran it in through the fascia (under the gutter), and in through the eaves of the attic.

Got my crimping tool out(!!), put an Rj45 connection on to each end of the cable (this makes me sound all techy....I'm not!) and thought, I'm in business.
    Connected one end into the Virgin modem in the sitting room and then connected the other end directly into the wifi extender (Netgear) in the attic room.

While in the attic room, I'd normally be using my laptop for work, one personal phone and one work phone. My personal phone seemed to pick up a much better signal as a result - that is to say about 40-50mbs download speed versus around 70-80mbs in the sitting room at the same time. Now today, like a few days of late, the signal just seems to drop out a lot. This whole covid working from home piece is obviously putting a huge strain on Virgin (and perhaps others) services.
    I tried again this evening and signal on my personal phone, in the attic room with ethernet room plugged into back of wifi extender, was much better than it has been.

However, my issue now is that I can't get it working on my laptop or work phone!!!! (these are the most important for me given their work related!).

On account of the ethernet plugged into the extender, I'm struggling to get wifi connection on laptop or work phone. When I do, it's slower than ever but for the most part, it's not happening. However, when I take out the ethernet cable from the extender, it picks up wifi as it did before.....which is to say that it's alright but far from brilliant.

Therefore, I'm wondering......any ideas?

I had thought.........or rather assumed (from a non I.T. professionals point of view)......that by simply plugging an ethernet cable from the main modem in the sitting room to the extender in the attic room, that I'd be able to replicate the signal that is happening from the main modem and thus be able to pick up very good wifi from the extender in the attic room that is now very close, wirelessly, to my laptop. Is that an incorrect assumption to make?

Any suggestions, most welcome.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

If you went to the bother of running a cable why dont you install a switch in the attic space and wire to your devices or if you really need the wireless feature you could invest in a mesh system.

Edit : i myself have a network adapter and i find it hit and miss regarding the speed. Any device i can wire i have done just that instead of relying on the wireless alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

What happens if you plug the ethernet cable straight into the laptop?

I'd almost think its a bad connection on the crimps causing the Ethernet to negotiate at a poor speed were it not for the personal phone having improved.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Firstly - in terms of plugging the ethernet cable directly to the laptop.....no can do as I'm using a MacBook and don't have an adapter for same. I must check the other laptop in the house to see if that works but suspect that that doesn't have an ethernet connection either.

I will check the crimp connection - it's the first time I've used the tool. I followed the diagrams etc and seemed to get it right.....maybe I need to go again.....

I'll check the various options and revert.....

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys.

Firstly - in terms of plugging the ethernet cable directly to the laptop.....no can do as I'm using a MacBook and don't have an adapter for same. I must check the other laptop in the house to see if that works but suspect that that doesn't have an ethernet connection either.

I will check the crimp connection - it's the first time I've used the tool. I followed the diagrams etc and seemed to get it right.....maybe I need to go again.....

I'll check the various options and revert.....

Thanks

Yeah checking your crimps is a good shout alright.

Good shout.........checked the crimp connection and noted one of the 8 small wires was cut!!!! I've re-done it (it's a picky little job!) but seem to have gotten it sorted.
    I tested my broadband speed in sitting room - got 255mbs (which is about as good as it gets).
    Am typing this from the attic room having just done a speed test and I am getting exactly the same speed!!! Win win!!!!!!

Seems as though that crimp/connection issue was just that...the issue!!!!

Am rather pleased I must confess as yesterday, between running the wires about and doing the rest of it, my head was melted on account of no real signal in the attic after all the effort. Superb. This should make life a great deal easier in terms of working from here on out!

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions.

Is the cable protected by anything, where it's outside? I'm not sure how long standard cable will last against Irish weather, especially come the frost. I've run thousands of meters of Cat5 but never outside

This is it wrote: »
    Is the cable protected by anything, where it's outside? I'm not sure how long standard cable will last against Irish weather, especially come the frost. I've run thousands of meters of Cat5 but never outside

Yeah that could be an issue alright but funny enough in my parents house there was indoor cat 5e ran from the broadband antenna on the house roof slung across the garage roof and down the wall where it entered the house and it survived 13 years. I recently replaced it with outdoor cat 5e and it wasnt because it was giving issues either.

I'm hoping survival of the cable won't be an issue as I bought cable specifically for outdoor use. I had looked into it before hand as I've heard that indoor cable has been used outdoors but it does break down over time however am hoping that given this is outdoor specific, I'll be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stephen.dunne

Another thing to be aware of is the choice of solid v stranded cable.

Solid cored cable is more rigid and easier to work with (especially if pushing through ducting or through drill holes), but it doesn't handle being flexed a lot.

If it's a permanent run, and especially if partially outdoors then solid is the better bet. If it's indoors and not a challenging run then I'd go for the flexibility (ahem) of the stranded cable.

• Advertisement

Thanks All.

I'll see how things hold up over the next while. It will be interesting to see how back to work on Monday goes with the signal! Having tried it more than once today, in a bid to re-assure myself, I've come across a few issues. However, I think they key, to avoid these issues, seems to be not to assume that my laptop can simply jump between one router and another (i.e the main Virgin modem and the attic room extender) on account me moving from the sitting room/kitchen, for example (main modem location) to the attic room (I had been assuming that it would just "switch" automatically.

On account of assuming this earlier, when I got to the attic room I tried to do a speed test but I was struggling to get any result - sometimes none! So, did a bit of googling (downstairs!!!!) and as a result, tried turning off the extender in the attic room when I was there, and turning it back on again. When I did and the signal was up and running again, I did the speed test and I was back in business.....just like it is (and was at the time) in the sitting room.

Will see what happens but hopefully that's the only quirk I need to remember for when I move from one room to the other (which can happen during the course of the day for various reasons!).

Thanks All.

I'll see how things hold up over the next while. It will be interesting to see how back to work on Monday goes with the signal! Having tried it more than once today, in a bid to re-assure myself, I've come across a few issues. However, I think they key, to avoid these issues, seems to be not to assume that my laptop can simply jump between one router and another (i.e the main Virgin modem and the attic room extender) on account me moving from the sitting room/kitchen, for example (main modem location) to the attic room (I had been assuming that it would just "switch" automatically.

On account of assuming this earlier, when I got to the attic room I tried to do a speed test but I was struggling to get any result - sometimes none! So, did a bit of googling (downstairs!!!!) and as a result, tried turning off the extender in the attic room when I was there, and turning it back on again. When I did and the signal was up and running again, I did the speed test and I was back in business.....just like it is (and was at the time) in the sitting room.

Will see what happens but hopefully that's the only quirk I need to remember for when I move from one room to the other (which can happen during the course of the day for various reasons!).

Ideally the device should swap over but usually they stay on even if the signal is poor. A mesh system is a good way to overcome issue's like that.

I'm hoping survival of the cable won't be an issue as I bought cable specifically for outdoor use. I had looked into it before hand as I've heard that indoor cable has been used outdoors but it does break down over time however am hoping that given this is outdoor specific, I'll be good.

Ah if you got outdoor you will be fine.

Advertisement