Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning from abroad after a long time. Options to get a quote?

• 02-05-2020 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Putting in place some plans to return with my family to Ireland and begin things again there.

I have been abroad for over 10 years.
    My Irish licence expired recently and I haven't driven where I am in a big city with adequate public transport.

Recently, I came across an article about the difficulties of returnees even just getting an insurance quote unless they have been a named driver in Ireland or show some years of experience of driving in a recognised country abroad.
    I seen one person saying they had to rent a car for a year and be a named driver under somebody else before getting a quote.

Are there any companies out there likely to give a quotation or is there some workaround here?

Would it be possible to have a family member buy a car (which I could cover) and then me be a named driver with this while I drive away as much as I want? Is this even possible?

The thought of having to rent a car for a year before getting even just a quote is almost putting me off the whole idea of returning at all :(

Comments

Advertisement