Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Siro partner to choose: IPv6 and VoIP

• 02-05-2020 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭

Trying to decide which provider to choose from Vodafone, Sky and Digiweb.

Looking for a provider offering native IPv6 and, ideally, one which shares SIP details as won't be using the router provided by the ISP (pfSense box instead).

I've been searching through the forum and it looks like providers aren't willing to share SIP details. Don't want to have to add keep the ISP's router/ATA in the mix. No biggie - can port away number to a dedicated VoIP provider if necessary.

Not sure about who does IPv6 though and preferably IPv4 without CGN. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Getting working SIP details out of Vodafone and Sky won't happen.

Sky also is unknown, if you can use your own router. Some say, you can.

Why those 3 ? Lots more providers on SIRO depending on location and plenty of them willing to share the details and giving you no hassle over your own router.

Where are you located ?

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ka2

Am on SIRO with Vodafone and can confirm no IPv6. Sky do it I believe, but not sure if the IPv4 is CGN or not (since they're now owned by Comcast I wouldn't be surprised if it is CGN).

ka2 wrote: »
    Am on SIRO with Vodafone and can confirm no IPv6. Sky do it I believe, but not sure if the IPv4 is CGN or not (since they're now owned by Comcast I wouldn't be surprised if it is CGN).

Sky do not have their own IP allocations in Ireland. The IPs that they allocate to end customers are owned by BT Ireland. I'm unsure, if they allocate IPv6.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Marlow wrote: »
    Getting working SIP details out of Vodafone and Sky won't happen.

Sky also is unknown, if you can use your own router. Some say, you can.

Why those 3 ? Lots more providers on SIRO depending on location and plenty of them willing to share the details and giving you no hassle over your own router.

Where are you located ?

/M

Thanks for that.

Siro website only lists those 3 at my address but maybe that's not the case. For example, Airwire website says they only offer it in South Dublin (north county here).

ethernet wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Siro website only lists those 3 at my address but maybe that's not the case. For example, Airwire website says they only offer it in South Dublin (north county here).

No. The SIRO website should be correct. Your best bet is Digiweb then. Engage with them and ask about it. They have a support chat.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Hari

Just a quick word to describe my experience with SKY - SIRO. Bit a background, I have been with sky from past 8 years for landline and broadband using phone line fiber and I was getting stable 40/50Mbs using my own router. Never had any issues that needs mentioning whatsoever. Good solid internet for 8 years. I replaced sky router straight away with my own Asus Dsl Router, maybe that was the reason I don't know.

So last week I was checking if Fiber to home is available in my area and couldn't believe that it was. I was on to sky rep and told them I want to keep everything in phone package as is but with fiber to home. I have landline and free phone calls etc on my package with sky. Anyway sky rep said yes it is available for me at more or less same price what I was paying. So I was delighted that I will be getting higher speed internet at the same price, whoo hoooo!!!

How wrong was I, so the sky guy installed SIRO just 2 days ago and I am already regretting my decision. Firstly, SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR LANDLINE SOCKET as sky don't even give you that option anymore and you have plug in your existing phone into the router to be used over as VOIP. However you can use your existing phone no need to buy a new VOIP phone. So now I need 3 sockets at front door (SIRO Terminal, Router and Phone Power), meaning more mess at the door entrance.

Secondly, there is no chance of using your own router with sky FTTH (SIRO) because of that built in functionality for phone line. So now I have no way to use my own Router and control internet access to individual items in house (2 kids). I have internet access set up for kids at different ages and to turn on and off automatically at certain times and have most of adult, violence and gambling filtered away.

The irony of all that is the internet speeds are now more or less same depending on time of the day. During night I might get full 130/150Mbs but mostly same 40/50Mbs as my old setup.

All in all I am very disappointed to say the least and I believe the issue here is the sky router. Sky should give the customers an option to have Landline separate from SIRO so that I can use my own router and can have better coverage and speeds all around the house. I don't understand why they are not explaining this to customers. They could have told me clearly that my landline will be abandoned and everything should be through my SKY router.

Thought I should let everyone know about my recent experience and to warn others as what to expect if ordering sky FTTH aka SIRO with Landline package. Maybe if your landline is separate from sky broadband you will be able to use your own router (maybe).

I am planning on cancelling my order as I am still within cooling off period and go back to old ways of fiber to home through landline. Maybe bit slow but I will have more control over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Digiweb dont offer native IPv6, just 6 to 4 tunnel
    From what I remember when I was on vodafone 12.5 months ago, they offered native IPv6.
    Might switch back to vodafone now that I'm out of contract with Digiweb as they are cheaper now

Using your own Router with SIRO is easy as long as you don't want VOIP phone number. I am using mine asus router with sky no problem there. I would assume it will be same for vodafone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have Airwire and can't fault them, they share all the information you need and give you a FritzBox router which is a great piece of kit

Redrocket wrote: »
    Digiweb dont offer native IPv6, just 6 to 4 tunnel
    From what I remember when I was on vodafone 12.5 months ago, they offered native IPv6.
    Might switch back to vodafone now that I'm out of contract with Digiweb as they are cheaper now
    I'm with Vodafone on SIRO but don't have any IPv6 connection, unless I'm doing something wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Redrocket

Did you try to enable in the modem?

I have played with the IPv6 settings but never got a connection unless I enabled the 6to4 option (which isn’t native).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PanicPants

Hari wrote: »
    Using your own Router with SIRO is easy as long as you don't want VOIP phone number. I am using mine asus router with sky no problem there. I would assume it will be same for vodafone

How did you get this to work?? I can’t get my ASUS to work at all!!

Here is what I changed in router settings.

1) Enable WAN
    2) Change connection type to PPPoE
    3)Enable 802.1Q option and VLAN ID to 10
    4)xxxxxx@skydsl and password xxxxxx it doesn't matter what you use.
    5) Internet detection PPP Echo with 6 and 10 as settings.

Reboot and enjoy. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PanicPants

Thanks mate! Got it working. I was missing the VLAN setting

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Advertisement