Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf battery upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pszemo

Glen Immal wrote: »
    How about the Renault Fluence, can you upgrade the battery on one of those

Yes it's possible. Brackets and wiring need to be designed for every car. I might add more cars when my business grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Pm me when you're going to upgrade I3 batteries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

pszemo wrote: »
    Yes it's possible. Brackets and wiring need to be designed for every car. I might add more cars when my business grow.

Cool, I might be interested in the Fluence upgrade if and when it's possible.

I wouldn't bother, too much of a risk for little return. Far better off putting money into a better EV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I wouldn't bother, too much of a risk for little return. Far better off putting money into a better EV.

Not at all, the Nissan Leaf motor is rock solid, think 10yrs from now, motor still perfect, car in decent nick and all you want is a reasonable range EV as a second car with minimal running costs, the cost will be well down by then and this is a well viable option for those who keep their Leaf "shell" in good nick

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Not at all, the Nissan Leaf motor is rock solid, think 10yrs from now, motor still perfect, car in decent nick and all you want is a reasonable range EV as a second car with minimal running costs, the cost will be well down by then and this is a well viable option for those who keep their Leaf "shell" in good nick

I meant too much risk putting money into the battery, no one would put 2-5K into an ICE car no matter how good it was. Waste if you ask me.

Be better off selling the car for spare parts, make more money probably by breaking it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭DM1983

I meant too much risk putting money into the battery, no one would put 2-5K into an ICE car no matter how good it was. Waste if you ask me.

Be better off selling the car for spare parts, make more money probably by breaking it down.

You're completely wrong. This is absolutely brilliant from an environmental perspective. Thankfully the financial investment makes sense too. I think its priced quite well for now and will hopefully come down with falling battery prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

Disagree also. A Leaf whose bodywork and suspension are still in great nick, and you get yourself a 40Kwh car for around 7/8k as opposed to 27/28k? I'll keep my 20k thank you very much!

Well done OP, hope your new business is a success, and I might be seeing you in a few years with my Leaf.

(Edit: there is also the satisfaction of beating the system somewhat with a service like this - instead of marching to the beat of manufacturers.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My short term goal is to move to a 2 BEV household. My main car will be a Model S who's battery management is super and degradation will not be an issue to me for 10+years at which time I can decide what to do. Second car is already in place, it's our current 162 L30 at 95% SOH so I don't see this being an issue for us until 10+years and it will be a ~€5k battery swap assuming rest of car holds up.
    Fully Charged man's leaf is coming up on 10 years old and he's getting a new battery into it shortly to breathe new life into it, it's lost 2 bars and is only charged from Solar panels

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My mate just put 2k into her 2004 Mini Cooper S. engine replaced.
    She didn’t want to sell her car.

Plenty of people put 2, 3k into their cars to keep them.

• Advertisement

Gumbo wrote: »

Well at least the car can go a lot more than 100 Kms for the 2-3 K or 80-90 K with a recon battery ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Gumbo wrote: »

That's a decision of the heart not the head. Especially on a Mini. Nothing wrong with going with a labor of love if that's what floats your boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Well at least the car can go a lot more than 100 Kms for the 2-3 K or 80-90 K with a recon battery ;)

If you were doing 100k+ a day on a regular basis you wouldn't be buying a petrol mini either. Arguably the more miles you do the more fuel and servicing you save with an EV.

Orebro wrote: »
    Disagree also. A Leaf whose bodywork and suspension are still in great nick, and you get yourself a 40Kwh car for around 7/8k as opposed to 27/28k? I'll keep my 20k thank you very much!

Well done OP, hope your new business is a success, and I might be seeing you in a few years with my Leaf.

(Edit: there is also the satisfaction of beating the system somewhat with a service like this - instead of marching to the beat of manufacturers.)

Thanks, you are more then welcome! We all now what Nissan offer for battery replacement... I don't think they ever offer 40 kwh battery on older Leaf.

Hi everyone
    My upgrade is for everyone with Nissan Leaf from 2011 to 2016 who wants to give a second life to his car.
    I'm offering replacement your old battery modules with brand new LG Chem cells.
    Estimated range of 43 kwh
    Nissan Leaf :
    2011 230 km up to 270 km
    2013 250 km up to 290 km
    2016 260 km up to 300 km
    Estimated range of 34 kwh
    Nissan Leaf:
    2011 180km
    2013 190km
    2016 200 km
    Every car will show on the dashboard real range.
    If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me.

Best of luck with this anyway hope it works well for you and hope the cells are from a reputable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Whether it's ICE or EV then putting 2 to 5 k into a car isn't necessarily a waste if the alternative is 15 to 20 k into a newer car.

Eco people might also take a few that keeping the Leaf on the road with replacement battery.

Is better then building a new car because of all the energy needed for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

OP - Do you have a link to a website or a Facebook page?
    I can share it on the Irish EV owners Facebook page.

Its in progress.. I'll give all details when will be ready
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Hi everyone
    My upgrade is for everyone with Nissan Leaf from 2011 to 2016 who wants to give a second life to his car.
    I'm offering replacement your old battery modules with brand new LG Chem cells.
    Estimated range of 43 kwh
    Nissan Leaf :
    2011 230 km up to 270 km
    2013 250 km up to 290 km
    2016 260 km up to 300 km
    Estimated range of 34 kwh
    Nissan Leaf:
    2011 180km
    2013 190km
    2016 200 km
    Every car will show on the dashboard real range.
    If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me.

Have a 152 24 kwh with 6.6 kwh charger. Are you saying that if I got the 34 kwh battery, I could expect close to 200km? Is that best case in summer with dry weather? And for the 43 kwh, I'm guessing about 250/260km in winter and close to 300km in summer, when the weather is nice?

Perhaps a stupid question but would I still get the benefits of the 6.6 kwh charger?

Finally, as others have said, I would have no interest in keeping the old batteries. keeping the batteries yourself to sell on combined with a reduction in your asking prices would most certainly garner you more custom, perhaps myself included.

Have over 120,000 km on the Leaf now and have lost 1 bar. 100km in winter and 120km in summer is about as good as it gets these days. A heavy right foot reduces that quite readily. Really do not want to change the car as it's great as it is, being a Tekna making it all the better. A cost effective battery upgrade would be a million times better than forking out a large amount of cash for a new car. Not only that but the increased range would effectively make the Leaf a new car with a MASSIVE increase in usability.

highdef wrote: »
    Have a 152 24 kwh with 6.6 kwh charger. Are you saying that if I got the 34 kwh battery, I could expect close to 200km? Is that best case in summer with dry weather? And for the 43 kwh, I'm guessing about 250/260km in winter and close to 300km in summer, when the weather is nice?

Perhaps a stupid question but would I still get the benefits of the 6.6 kwh charger?

Finally, as others have said, I would have no interest in keeping the old batteries. keeping the batteries yourself to sell on combined with a reduction in your asking prices would most certainly garner you more custom, perhaps myself included.

Have over 120,000 km on the Leaf now and have lost 1 bar. 100km in winter and 120km in summer is about as good as it gets these days. A heavy right foot reduces that quite readily. Really do not want to change the car as it's great as it is, being a Tekna making it all the better. A cost effective battery upgrade would be a million times better than forking out a large amount of cash for a new car. Not only that but the increased range would effectively make the Leaf a new car with a MASSIVE increase in usability.

I have 2012 leaf with 43 kwh and driving on the motorway with spedd up to 95 km/h the range is about 230 km. If I drive city/motorway it is 250 km . The range depends also from your driving skills. You should get at least 20-30 km more. I will make YouTube videos when restriction are gone.
    Your 6.6 kw charger will be working in 100 %
    I can take old cells and lower the price. If I'll have no problem with selling them I take them from everyone.
    I will get new batch of LG cells in September.

• Advertisement

Excellent, if the price is good, there may be no need to replace the current Leaf. The current pricing is a little bit more expensive than I'd like so when you do figure out pricing where you offload the old batteries yourself, please do post here.

One more question..... How have you calculated that, for example, a 2014 Leaf will get better mileage than a 2012 one, if it's the same battery pack specs on both?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Hi there

Sounds great, I think the Nissan Leaf could be a great 2nd hard car with decent replacement batteries.

I notice that these batteries were not designed for cars, and many sellers of the cells say "do not use on EVs", like this one:

https://www.lithium-batterypack.com/sale-12344365-100-original-lg-chem-n21-polymer-lipo-lithium-ion-battery-cell-3-7v-60ah-durable.html

I wonder why they say do not use for EV ? Is it due to the construction not being rigid like most EV batteries ? Has anyone made an EV battery with these and driven it for 10K or more, I looked but could not find any ?

I am not trying to knock your business, but I have concerns about these cells in an EV, as I am sure most buyers would, and before spending 7K I would like to know why sellers say dont use in an EV, or how you make as strong module to make them suitable ?

EDIT: I notice there is a huge number of these cells on the surplus market that were packaged (2 per module) for EVs, they have been cut to get them out of the manufactured battery (2 mountings cut off). If these are the cells you are using my only question is do you know when they were originally made and who for ?

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Hi there

Sounds great, I think the Nissan Leaf could be a great 2nd hard car with decent replacement batteries.

I notice that these batteries were not designed for cars, and many sellers of the cells say "do not use on EVs", like this one:

https://www.lithium-batterypack.com/sale-12344365-100-original-lg-chem-n21-polymer-lipo-lithium-ion-battery-cell-3-7v-60ah-durable.html

I wonder why they say do not use for EV ? Is it due to the construction not being rigid like most EV batteries ? Has anyone made an EV battery with these and driven it for 10K or more, I looked but could not find any ?

I am not trying to knock your business, but I have concerns about these cells in an EV, as I am sure most buyers would, and before spending 7K I would like to know why sellers say dont use in an EV, or how you make as strong module to make them suitable ?

EDIT: I notice there is a huge number of these cells on the surplus market that were packaged (2 per module) for EVs, they have been cut to get them out of the manufactured battery (2 mountings cut off). If these are the cells you are using my only question is do you know when they were originally made and who for ?
    My cels are original LG brand and I think they are perfect for us in EV. The perrfom very good CHAdeMO is working also great.
    You need to ask person who is selling cell on website you mentioned.
    There is many people like me using N2.1 and E63 in Electric Vehicles from a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Do you sell batteries for use for Solar?

highdef wrote: »
    One more question..... How have you calculated that, for example, a 2014 Leaf will get better mileage than a 2012 one, if it's the same battery pack specs on both?
    From 2013 Nissan leaf got few improvements. Please use Google for research. Thanks

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do you sell batteries for use for Solar?
    Only old Nissan leaf modules, but I don't have any more left at the moment

Only old Nissan leaf modules, but I don't have any more left at the moment

If you get any can you let me know, I am looking to buy some

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If you get any can you let me know, I am looking to buy some

What would you do with it if he handed you a Leaf module?

I doubt you can just plug it into your existing system?!

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    What would you do with it if he handed you a Leaf module?

I doubt you can just plug it into your existing system?!

No you can't....but you can convert it

Advertisement