Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Leaf battery upgrade

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

"Would car Insurance still be valid" is a significant concern for me.

I'd assume under normal circumstances (ie. a crash) they'd not even look at the specifics, just the vin and it's factory spec. If it was the case where the battery went on fire something, they might look a bit closer.

You will have to notify your insurance, a battery modification is a major thing in an EV, that would be a foolish mistake to make by not notifying the insurance company.

Why should they pay out if this modified battery was the cause of a fire, causing a house fire in the process if the car is in a garage attached to the house etc ?

Paying 9K on a battery upgrade is risky enough, not notifying the insurance is foolish, they will look for any excuse not to pay out and one of the things they ask you when you sigh up is has your car been modified and they'd be well within their rights not to pay out.

So before spending money call them up and ask them can the car be insured with a battery upgrade and if they say yes make sure if you do get the upgrade that you notify them and they have it on record and to send you documentation that they have it on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Maybe one of the boards members with a leaf could call their insurer and ask if replacing the battery with a non-Nissan/non-automotive battery is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I think you could cross or upsell many folks
    1. some form of chassis/mounting/container to easily use their old leaf battery as a solar battery for their house.

Good idea in theory, but not so easy in practice. There's a lot to this stuff. Best just give a discount off the price of a new battery. Or people can keep the battery and have a go at it themselves. Not rocket science either, but it will quickly turn into a bit of a hobby, I can tell you that much :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Maybe one of the boards members with a leaf could call their insurer and ask if replacing the battery with a non-Nissan/non-automotive battery is OK.

I thought you owned a Leaf?

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I thought you owned a Leaf?

You know I dont, you asked me that in post 98, and confirmed my answer as a no in post 105.

If you are not trolling then you need to seek medical advice about your memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You know I dont, you asked me that in post 98, and confirmed my answer as a no in post 105.

If you are not trolling then you need to seek medical advice about your memory.

Yes trolling.....that is exactly what my first thought was

unkel wrote: »
    Good idea in theory, but not so easy in practice. There's a lot to this stuff. Best just give a discount off the price of a new battery. Or people can keep the battery and have a go at it themselves. Not rocket science either, but it will quickly turn into a bit of a hobby, I can tell you that much :p

There are ready made kits for solar conversion, just watching this now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlCz40bCZZM

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Yes trolling.....that is exactly what my first thought was

I think SlowBlowin made it pretty clear he doesn't own a Leaf but is thinking of buying one. He is also very experienced with all stuff to do with batteries and he has shown a lot of constructive criticism in this thread. Trolling is the last word I would pick for any of this, Shefwedfan.

There are ready made kits for solar conversion, just watching this now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlCz40bCZZM

Nice and I like the form factor. And no cooling is no issue for a power wall (but you don't want to charge this below zero either). Very expensive for what they are though, particularly if you take into account many of them will be close to 50% degradation like the one Jehu was testing. Far too expensive per kWh for my liking.

If I could get my hands on a bunch of them for very cheap, I would have a go of them though :D

• Advertisement

I have done some research and it seems regulation is in process, although everything seems to be a proposal.

There are dedicated third party services to confirm batteries meet EU safety requirements:

https://www.intertek.com/batteries/automotive-battery-ev-testing/

As I understand it (no expert) batteries must have type approval, meaning "modules" from Nissan/Tesla etc can be used, but any third party battery without type approval can not be used in an automotive application.

Nice and I like the form factor. And no cooling is no issue for a power wall (but you don't want to charge this below zero either). Very expensive for what they are though, particularly if you take into account many of them will be close to 50% degradation like the one Jehu was testing. Far too expensive per kWh for my liking.

If I could get my hands on a bunch of them for very cheap, I would have a go of them though :D

Agreed, its too much of a gamble 50% is no good for me, I think the OPs LG cells would be a better starting point for stationary storage. But as you said if Leaf batteries were available on the cheap then it makes some sense..

Hopefully as more and more come on the 2nd user market more module/bms kits will appear too, as has happened with the 18650 format.

As always its the design/construction of the complete module that is the critical thing to keep the cells healthy...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

You will have to notify your insurance, a battery modification is a major thing in an EV, that would be a foolish mistake to make by not notifying the insurance company.

I wonder how many people informed their insurance company if there ICE vehicle has its engine replaced??
    Not identical but similar ;)

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I wonder how many people informed their insurance company if there ICE vehicle has its engine replaced??

True - that would be interesting to know.

There is no issue replacing a Nissan battery with another Nissan battery, the equivalent of replacing an ICE.

A better analogy would be making your own engine from non car parts, installing it and not telling insurance.

Still, despite being something many people might consider, one can not condone that notion, not least as it against boards rules to encourage illegal behaviour. Personally, if I had the cells, and the OPs knowledge of the Nissan BMS it might be something I would consider.

charlieIRL wrote: »

That's not nearly the same at all, you're replacing like for like. If you're not that's a different matter.

If this new engine was modified then that's a different story, you could plead ignorance but it might not do any good that's if they bother investigating such Things matters in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

That's not nearly the same at all, you're replacing like for like. If you're not that's a different matter.

If this new engine was modified then that's a different story, you could plead ignorance but it might not do any good that's if they bother investigating such Things matters in Ireland.

The more serious the accident the more likely Insurers will investigate. And the more serious the accident the greater your need for insurance. I know I would not be driving myself, or my family, in a car where there is any risk of a claim being refused by the Insurance company. And I have no doubt they will hunt for ways to get out of a claim, especially in times like this. Claiming ignorance will absolutely get you nowhere. The bottom line is that this will have to be done right for everyone's sake.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Let's say you take an L24 and fit an L40 battery to it, it's not really a like for like replacement.

Probably the bigger concern for the insurer will be the percieved value, you've either modified the car to increase it's value, and therefore should recieve more for a write off. Or it's not affected the value, and therefore will be paid out according to an L24 with a degraded battery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Insurance premium has little to do with car value, more cost in case of accident

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

liamog wrote: »
    Let's say you take an L24 and fit an L40 battery to it, it's not really a like for like replacement.

Probably the bigger concern for the insurer will be the percieved value, you've either modified the car to increase it's value, and therefore should recieve more for a write off. Or it's not affected the value, and therefore will be paid out according to an L24 with a degraded battery.

I don't want to labour the point but the biggest risk for me would be being in a serious accident and then being told I had invalidated my insurance with possibly a massive claim against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The OP hasn't answered any questions around safety and certification.

At minimum a CE Declaration of Conformity is required to sell his product.

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The OP hasn't answered any questions around safety and certification.

At minimum a CE Declaration of Conformity is required to sell his product.

I'm not sure CE is relevant here, perhaps Type approval ?

CE is nothing anyway, it's just a stamp that's required by law to be placed on products which means the company themselves has declared their products meet the required spec etc but it's BS half the electronic products today don't meet regulations.

I'll give you a good example.

I hold a valid legal Amateur radio license which allows me to communicate on several bands on the Shortwave radio spectrum and above as set out by the International Telecommunications Union, this radio spectrum is protected by local and international law meaning if someone buys a dodgy cheap laptop power supply on ebay that interferes with this protected radio spectrum, I can contact COMREG and they can ask you to remove it, if you don't then they can take legal action, COMREG can get the ESB to fix a dodgy connection on an electric pole or get the neighbour to replace a dodgy cheap woodies no name LED Bulb etc.

All electronic goods are supposed to be tested to make sure they do not emit electromagnetic radiation which will cause interference to the use of another device which is illegal.

Just today I had the electric gates control board replaced for free because of a bad switch mode psu, It was drastically interfering with my radio operation when in my Mothers, the replacement came with a Meanwell PSU which is a quality manufacturer of power supplies. The company acknowledged the issue and replaced it, they have to by law because when they sell something it must comply with the law.

All this by the way can and does interfere with broadband connections too.

So anyway after all that, a CE mark is meaningless if the product itself does not comply with law.

And when buying replacement phone/laptop chargers etc, buy the original from a reputable source as you could be in for a surprise or worse, cause a fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

That's why I specified a CE DoC as opposed to marking.

This idea is a disaster waiting to happen without certification

As well as that I'd imagine for Automotive use there'd have to be crash testing, documentation confirming tests/results etc ? this is expensive, very!

The testing for type approval includes:

Cell/Module/Pack level testing
    Cycle life (charge/discharge cycling)
    Cycle life (simulated drive/usage profiles)
    Calendar life
    HPCC (Hybrid Pulse Power Characterization)
    Abuse testing
    Fire exposure
    Safety certification testing
    Overcharge
    Short circuit
    Crush/Nail Penetration
    Mechanical shock
    Thermal /Humidity cycling
    Thermal shock
    Altitude
    Simulated environment: vibration, temperature, humidity
    Failure analysis
    BMS simulation and monitoring
    Connector/Service disconnect cycling and durability

The testing for type approval includes:

Cell/Module/Pack level testing
    Cycle life (charge/discharge cycling)
    Cycle life (simulated drive/usage profiles)
    Calendar life
    HPCC (Hybrid Pulse Power Characterization)
    Abuse testing
    Fire exposure
    Safety certification testing
    Overcharge
    Short circuit
    Crush/Nail Penetration
    Mechanical shock
    Thermal /Humidity cycling
    Thermal shock
    Altitude
    Simulated environment: vibration, temperature, humidity
    Failure analysis
    BMS simulation and monitoring
    Connector/Service disconnect cycling and durability

Yikes! yes, very expensive!

Whether it applies to aftermarket batteries I don't know.

From what I have read on old EU proposals they are worried about fitting non type approved batteries for garage mechanics safety as well as the driver safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of insurance you could chance it and hope you get away with it but the downsides are considerable.

In the event of an accident you could be charged by Gardai for driving without valid insurance, thus getting penalty points or a ban, and then have difficulty ever getting insurance again.

Insurers often use any excuse to not pay. One assessor I saw photographed the thread depth of each tyre when they all were OK, as they needed OK proof. They check vin numbers, engine numbers, modified air filters, non factory exhaust.... They can download car computer data to see the speed the car crashed at.

One insurer I spoke with said any modification of any type would invalidate insurance, including non factory fitted wheels.

I saw an assessor on TV refuse a claim because of a non factory bumper that was not notified.

So you would need to go down the modified car route, and then insurer may want an engineers report to say car is safe. You would end up paying a slight premium

Petrol/diesel cars converted to electric have been approved and insured in Ireland and are road legal, so it can be done.

As for the cost of upgrading versus selling your car to someone who can live with the existing range, and buying another car with the range you need, it may not make financial sense for most, particular as you would be reselling a modified car later which might not have the value you predict, and suspension and non battery parts may be 10+ years old. Irish people love cars with recent registration plates, so age of reg plate matters to resell value.

Having said all that an Irish guy I met swapped all his old leaf battery cells for newer less worn ones, and got increased range, no computers required, just a lot of spanner and cell swapping. After a few trips the car realised the cells held more charge and the reported range went up to match the cells installed.

See
    https://www.tog.ie/2018/10/october-2018-social-battery-swap-in-electric-vehicle-talk/

If this could be a 2 hour pack swap, then labour would be minimal. Throw in a friendly engineers report, and a friendly insurance broker, then pedal to the metal.

zg3409 wrote: »
    Petrol/diesel cars converted to electric have been approved and insured in Ireland and are road legal, so it can be done.

An informative post..

I have done many hours of research on this, but I have yet to find an insured legal converted (ICE car to EV, or EV to EV) that didn't use a module that was type approved by an auto manufacturer (most use Tesla modules).

Have you (or anyone else here) come across a conversion where someone used their own cells, and built their own modules as the OP is doing and managed to insure it ?

I have done many hours of research on this, but I have yet to find an insured legal converted (ICE car to EV, or EV to EV) that didn't use a module that was type approved by an auto manufacturer (most use Tesla modules).

Have you (or anyone else here) come across a conversion where someone used their own cells, and built their own modules as the OP is doing and managed to insure it ?

That's interesting. How about Damien Maguire here in Ireland? I'm not quite sure what he uses for batteries, but he specifically mentions NCTing his cars once converted and I get the impression all his cars are 100% road legal, so presumably also fully insured and the conversion disclosed to his insurer

Linky

• Advertisement

That's interesting. How about Damien Maguire here in Ireland? I'm not quite sure what he uses for batteries, but he specifically mentions NCTing his cars once converted and I get the impression all his cars are 100% road legal, so presumably also fully insured and the conversion disclosed to his insurer

Linky

Looks like he uses all Tesla or Nissan (Type approved) modules, I am unable to find anyone who has built their own modules and got the car legal.

Advertisement