Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Figuring out where cat5e cables terminate

• 02-05-2020 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭

Hey folk looking for some help and hoping someone here might have the answer.

So I recently discovered that my house has cat5e cable running to all the bedrooms in my house, though it's terminated as RJ11 sockets. As far as I can tell the cat5e all comes back to a blank 2 gang socket beside the eircom socket. There is also one extra cat5e cable which I think goes to another blank socket in the hall. I've tried to pull the wires to see if I can figure out the corresponding wires but they don't budge at all.

So what I'm wondering is, is there a way that I can tell which cable corresponds to which socket without simple trial and error of punching them down as female cat5e endpoints

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

multimeter? battery and a bulb. battery connected to 2 pairs in hall , connect bulb to corresponding pairs in bedrooms . may do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

John mac wrote: »
    multimeter? battery and a bulb. battery connected to 2 pairs in hall , connect bulb to corresponding pairs in bedrooms . may do the trick

Thanks that's a great idea I'll give it a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

Just join a pair on one side, for example blue and blue/white and do a continuity test on the other side using a multimeter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

b.gud wrote: »
    Hey folk looking for some help and hoping someone here might have the answer.

So I recently discovered that my house has cat5e cable running to all the bedrooms in my house, though it's terminated as RJ11 sockets. As far as I can tell the cat5e all comes back to a blank 2 gang socket beside the eircom socket. There is also one extra cat5e cable which I think goes to another blank socket in the hall. I've tried to pull the wires to see if I can figure out the corresponding wires but they don't budge at all.

So what I'm wondering is, is there a way that I can tell which cable corresponds to which socket without simple trial and error of punching them down as female cat5e endpoints

The easiest way would use a tone tested if you have access to one, if not join two of the wires on the cabel for exanple and then use a bell test on the other ends of the cable with a multi meter to find the cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Cork981 wrote: »
    Just join a pair on one side, for example blue and blue/white and do a continuity test on the other side using a multimeter.

You could extend that by joining blue/blue-white on one, orange/orange-white on a second, green/green-white on the third. Then you'd only need to visit each end once...

A tone-tester is the easiest way to find them if you've a lot of wiring- they're a fraction of the price they once were. You'll get a basically functional one on adverts or similar for €20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Thanks for the help folks. Picked up a multimeter in Lidl yesterday and was able to figure out the wires successfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

niallb wrote: »
    You could extend that by joining blue/blue-white on one, orange/orange-white on a second, green/green-white on the third. Then you'd only need to visit each end once....
    ..... updated graphical version for multi-room testing.... :D

511848.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

..... updated graphical version for multi-room testing.... :D
    :p
    I went there in my head I must admit, but maintain a bit of decency!
    There are civilians on this thread!

Advertisement