Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topsoil on pea gravel

Options
  • 02-05-2020 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have a 12x12 meter area which has pea gravel and bigger rocks at the moment
    I've taken away a lot of the gravel and it's hard enough ground now
    Can I put top soil now on top and then plant grand seed?
    I was thinking maybe 6 inches of top soil might be enough?Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Grass grows on my driveway with zero topsoil so I'd say six inches is loads.

Maybe keep some of the gravel underneath for drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭con747

Found this in an article if it helps, "Lawn grass needs a layer of topsoil that is at least 6 inches thick in the beginning. Over the course of a few years, the topsoil layer will settle to become 3 to 4 inches thick. Because grass needs at least 4 inches of topsoil for healthy root growth, however, plan to make the topsoil layer about 12 inches thick; eventually, it will settle to about 6 inches thick"

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dave elle

You might want to put a filter fabric between the pea gravel and top soil to prevent fines migration.

If you have pea gravel (not crushed stone) it is essentially like having marbles (or peas) sitting one on top of the other. Needs minimal compaction however there are a lot of voids between the stones. Over time rain water might wash fine particles from the soil into the pea gravel voids thereby reducing the strength of the top soil layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

Dave elle wrote: »
    You might want to put a filter fabric between the pea gravel and top soil to prevent fines migration.

If you have pea gravel (not crushed stone) it is essentially like having marbles (or peas) sitting one on top of the other. Needs minimal compaction however there are a lot of voids between the stones. Over time rain water might wash fine particles from the soil into the pea gravel voids thereby reducing the strength of the top soil layer.

I wouldn't worry about this. If there is a mixture of gravel and soil, the roots will find the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭lazyman

Thanks for all the advice
    I've cleared away the thick layers of pea gravel that was there so now there is only the gravel and stone that is embedded into the ground so I do thing a nice 8 or 9 inches of top soil should be fine on top

• Advertisement
Advertisement