Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are PHN visits happening now?

• 02-05-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

I was wondering if public health nurses are carrying out their visits due to the corona virus? My PHN told us at her last visit that she would be back when my little one was 8/9 months. My baby was 8 months 2 weeks ago so I’m wondering if I should expect a call? If not, is there anything that is really important at the 8/9 month check?
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I have exact same question - our little one is soon-to-be 3 months old and was due for PHN visit but we don't know what to expect now? Was there any important bit in that checkup that we should maybe follow-up with our doctor or?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 NewMom19

I had a call from my PHN maybe a week or two ago just to check through the list of milestones etc for the 7-9 month check. She said they would do the development checks as and when things return to normal, whenever that will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some are some aren't from what I've heard, either way they should be making contact.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Normally the 9 month check would be in the clinic, but maybe that works differently in different areas. It’s officially a 7-9 mo check though, so she’s not late yet!
    A lot of PHN’s have been redeployed as far as I know, so I would expect some delays. Obviously if you have any concerns, chat to your gp.

https://www2.hse.ie/wellbeing/child-health/your-childs-developmental-checks/9-to-11-months-check.html

This is what Is generally checked, or should be checked at that check up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

We had a letter saying appointments are being put off until Covid-19 improves. We would have been due an appointment in mid-Feb. Letter came end of March

We'd be low priority though. Second baby, nothing to point to risk factors etc.

• Advertisement

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    I have exact same question - our little one is soon-to-be 3 months old and was due for PHN visit but we don't know what to expect now? Was there any important bit in that checkup that we should maybe follow-up with our doctor or?

Try to weigh baby and plug the number into a baby weight percentile calculator/compare it to babies birth & 6 week weights.

Look up the cdc milestone calculator and go through it. If anything sparks a concern call the phn or your doctor to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Sarah1916

iAcesHigh wrote: »

The main checks I can remember was the weighing of my baby. She was slightly worried about my baby as she dropped quiet a few percentiles. She then came back around 4 months to make sure all was ok.
    I don’t have any concerns as such as my baby is very alert, very strong and moving etc. But still you know yourself I wouldn’t mind a professional having a check just to make sure I am not missing anything.

They're still doing vaccinations so talk to the nurse/doctor who does those at 4 months. Theyll also weigh the baby if you ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

We were supposed to have the 9 month check in the clinic but got a call saying it was cancelled until further notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

My third would be over due for 18 month check. Haven't bothered looking into it as I've zero concerns. Weight wouldn't be a huge worry for a baby tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Maggiemay13

Same here as a few of the rest of you, our babys 3 month check up was supposed to be in April, but was cancelled until further notice. The PHN just phoned to check in that baby was meeting certain milestones. But yes, vaccinations are definitely still going ahead as normal!!Just as an aside, I'm afraid I would have to strongly disagree with the poster above re. Weight gain not being a concern for a baby. That is not for us to say. If a baby is not gaining weight as they should, or if you are not happy with it, it would be very important to get a medical opinion on that. Just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Our son is 3 months old today. The PHN came out once at the start, haven't heard a dickie bird since. I believe we were supposed to have had several visits since. Not so much as a phone call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Our son is 3 months old today. The PHN came out once at the start, haven't heard a dickie bird since. I believe we were supposed to have had several visits since. Not so much as a phone call.

The next visit after the newborn on is the 3 month check so you haven’t missed several. I have a 12 week old and our PHN rang last week to do a check/chat over the phone. She said she doesn’t know when visits will resume but is hoping maybe next month. If you have any concerns over development I’d ring. You could google PHN 3 month check so see the types of things they check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Some phns seem to call more than others in the newborn phase, but one visit is quite normal. Lots of phns were redeployed during covid to do swabbing and other essential duties. I’m sure they’ll be back to normal (or normalish) soon. You should have had a 6 week check with your GP. If you’ve any concerns, ring the health centre where the PHN hangs out and leave a message, or contact your GP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

jlm29 wrote: »
    Some phns seem to call more than others in the newborn phase, but one visit is quite normal. Lots of phns were redeployed during covid to do swabbing and other essential duties. I’m sure they’ll be back to normal (or normalish) soon. You should have had a 6 week check with your GP. If you’ve any concerns, ring the health centre where the PHN hangs out and leave a message, or contact your GP

GP wouldn’t do the 6 weeks check but did all the checks when we got the vaccinations.

Was with the doctor again last week as we had a concern about his eye but it was literally a 90 second visit.

Thankfully not too concerned about things with him, he’s generally fairly good, just colic and reflux which I don’t think they could do much. He does eat well for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

My baby is 17 weeks old, PHN rang when he was 13 weeks and went through a list of questions about milestones and how we were getting.
    She called to the house this week and did all the measurements and checks. She was wearing mask, gloves, etc. and it was a quick visit.
    I have no concerns about baby and he's my second, so have rough idea what to expect. There wasn't much time for questions.
    She said I could ring her if I had any worries.

Advertisement