Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell U2719D 27" Widescreen IPS monitor

Options
  • 02-05-2020 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm looking to buy a Dell U2719D 27" Widescreen IPS as an external monitor. I have a 13" MBP which is my work machine. I've been WFH since the lockdown, and the last week or two have been hard with a small screen.

I'm looking to buy the Dell monitor above, but I'm wondering how good are these with Macs? I also have a personal Mac, so regardless of how long the lockdown continues I'd like another screen.

I'm a software engineer so generally run websites, slack, github and VS Code. Nothing high intense like games, or video editing software.

Would this be a good buy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Which model Macs? Click Apple logo in top-left, "About this Mac" if not sure of model number(s).

What external connectors do they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭antimatterx

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Which model Macs? Click Apple logo in top-left, "About this Mac" if not sure of model number(s).

What external connectors do they have?

My work is a 13" 2016 MBP.
    My personal is a 15" 2017 MBP.

They both use USB-C

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/monitors-macbook-pro
    Due to numerous complaints of compatibility issues and Dell's unwillingness to offer support to those affected, all Dell monitors have been removed from our list of recommendations for the time being and until the situation is resolved. At this time, we don't test for compatibility; if you run into any issues using a monitor when connected to a MacBook, please let us know in the discussions below.

So, there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭antimatterx

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Thanks for that. I'll have to do some more research

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Be aware that you can't do scaling with some(most?) external monitors on Mac Os. I recently got a Benq EX2780Q which has a usb-c input but I found everything very small on the display. So I went into display setting to change the scaling to 125% like you can do in Windows no problem. There is no option for scaling, you can change the resolution to 1080 but it looks horribly blurry. I found this which was a bit of an eye opener, long story short Apple does support scaling on some external monitors but if you have one that isn't supported then forget about it. I have it a couple of weeks now and kind of getting used to it. Maybe it won't bother you but something to be aware of.
    Besides that I'm very happy with the monitor, during the day I use it with my work macbook and in the evening it's connected to my gaming pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

I have a Dell U2718Q that I use with a Late 2019 Macbook Pro. Scaling works perfectly so far with it but I am using a hub with it. The monitor is connecting mDP-DP to the dock and the dock is using USB-c to the mbp. Based on the link above to macrumors it looks like DPI scaling works in 4k but not in other resolutions

Advertisement