Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitlement to deposit back

Options
  • 03-05-2020 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Hi looking for some advice on the following, I booked a wedding band and paid deposit. Now due to restrictions wedding cannot go ahead. We have chosen a new date but band unavailable.

Am I entitled to deposit back seeing as it is because of restrictions they can’t play? Band don’t know about our new date, we just asked them to forward on when they are free and I checked.

We haven’t cancelled our original date yet, but it won’t be doing ahead. Just wondering what the best way to try if any to get back a rather large deposit.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,580 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Teach30 wrote: »
    Hi looking for some advice on the following, I booked a wedding band and paid deposit. Now due to restrictions wedding cannot go ahead. We have chosen a new date but band unavailable.

Am I entitled to deposit back seeing as it is because of restrictions they can’t play? Band don’t know about our new date, we just asked them to forward on when they are free and I checked.

We haven’t cancelled our original date yet, but it won’t be doing ahead. Just wondering what the best way to try if any to get back a rather large deposit.

Thanks.

When is the wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

What does your contract with them say?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Caranica wrote: »

No contract just paid €500 by online banking.

It’s not end of world if I don’t get it back just want to see if I would be entitled to something. I know there’s something about if we cancel then it’s our fault but technically we are not. We all know it can’t happen but they haven’t mentioned deposit to us.

Teach30 wrote: »
    No contract just paid €500 by online banking.

It’s not end of world if I don’t get it back just want to see if I would be entitled to something. I know there’s something about if we cancel then it’s our fault but technically we are not. We all know it can’t happen but they haven’t mentioned deposit to us.

When is the wedding date?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Not your fault and not their fault the wedding isn't going ahead.

A fair result here could be that you split the deposit

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    When is the wedding date?

June - hotels won’t be open by then

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I would think you should be entitled to your deposit back .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

daheff wrote: »

No....no it's not.

Juwwi wrote: »
    I would think you should be entitled to your deposit back .

Same here but..
    Seeing as they have offered to reschedule they’ll probably want to keep deposit.
    It’s our fault they are not available on our other date. We can’t change plan B date.

So technically we are not cancelling them but they don’t suit our new date.

Hotels are giving deposits back if they don’t have a suitable date.
    Unfair that the bands is slow to offer.
    To.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

In fairness to the band though they don't know that your new date won't be suitable for them ,they are probably presuming they'll just be playing on the new date .

I think you should just inform them of your new date and then let them come back and say sorry we are not available that date .

Then ask about the deposit .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Fecking hell :pac:
    Think I've heard it all now... A contract with a wedding band? :pac: haha.

But op let the band know the exact date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

But op let the band know the exact date.

I had simple contacts with all my wedding suppliers. I worked in event management at the time and knew how important they are for both parties.

I had simple contacts with all my wedding suppliers. I worked in event management at the time and knew how important they are for both parties.

... And I'm Elvis Presley.

Juwwi wrote: »
    In fairness to the band though they don't know that your new date won't be suitable for them ,they are probably presuming they'll just be playing on the new date .

I think you should just inform them of your new date and then let them come back and say sorry we are not available that date .

Then ask about the deposit .

I’ve a feeling they won’t hence my asking here. I’m on a wedding Facebook group and others have asked the same question with our band Replying and saying that if the couple postpone the wedding and the band are not available then it’s not the bands fault so you are not entitled to deposit back.

I was just hopeful that I would have a consumer advice line to spin them in the hope of recouping even some of the money.

... And I'm Elvis Presley.

Elvis, why wouldn’t a band have a contract/booking form like any service? They would be foolish not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

/quote]

Would have thought this would be pretty standard?

Elvis, why wouldn’t a band have a contract/booking form like any service? They would be foolish not to.

Bizarre thinking that there would not be a contract in this day and age. Would form part of the stipulations of goi g for wedding insurance I would think too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

daheff wrote: »

Why ?what costs would the band have incurred that keeping 50% of the deposit is justified?

Why ?what costs would the band have incurred that keeping 50% of the deposit is justified?

If they dig their heals in, the question is whether they are required to return it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If they dig their heals in, the question is whether they are required to return it.

I would assume the band can demonstrate a non refund policy.
    There are many FB groups devoted to wedding planning and help in organising same. Not great publicity for a band if they behave less than professional with customers or potential customers. Just my opinion.

• Advertisement

I would assume the band can demonstrate a non refund policy. .

I could be wrong, but isn’t default that there is no obligation to refund a deposit if the consumer cancels? They may not have to demonstrate their refund policy if they allow a change of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That's really a question to be asking before you pay a deposit, not after. If you pay a deposit, don't be surprised that it is used as a deposit.

Because for most it's a nixer.
    I work with someone who does wedding gigs on the side. Do you think he is paying tax? He isn't his bollocks ;)

I also worked with another lad a couple of years ago who also did it. Had videos on YouTube of him singing at weddings. Even a website. All a nixer. No tax.

So do you think people who are on nixers are gonna create 'contracts' ?

You said the word 'foolish' - that's ironic.

I work with someone who does wedding gigs on the side. Do you think he is paying tax? He isn't his bollocks ;)

I also worked with another lad a couple of years ago who also did it. Had videos on YouTube of him singing at weddings. Even a website. All a nixer. No tax.

You work with fraudsters, maybe you need to find a new job.

Are you privy to the op’s band’s tax returns? If you aren’t, then what is the point of speculating?

You work with fraudsters, maybe you need to find a new job.

Are you privy to the op’s band’s tax returns? If you aren’t, then what is the point of speculating?

Fraudsters? :pac:
    Wake up man. Stop being naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

I'd be inclined to say we'd like to work this out, but €500 is a hunk of change and we would hate to bring to the small claims court to come to any agreement.

The Small Claims Court is made for this type of problem. Usually the threat of it is enough to get most reasonable people to be reasonable.

It's all online, it costs €25. No legal eagle required.
    The reistraar tries to get both parties to agree.

Courts like documents. It makes their life easier.

They tend to think the onus is on the professional in the case to make sure the Terms and Conditions are clear.

If there is no written contract then the courts tend to take the view that the supplier who is the professional in this case didn't bother his arse.
    It doesn't help their chance of winning.

5 Step guide here (for airline refunds but you can see the process.)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058071799

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

These cases are difficult and there's no fault on either side.

Ideally the bride and groom should have insurance.

Band probably has already done work on Playlist. Band did not cancel. But neither did the bride and groom.

I wouldn't be confident of a scc declaration for either side.

Ideal situation is a date move that the band can make and move the deposit to that date

You are clearly living in the VERY DISTANT past.

Professional Wedding Bands are an industry in themselves....the "nixer" days are long gone.

Wedding Bands do Weddings and Corporate Events. it is serious money.

Boys from the Blackstuf type Economy was filmed in the 1980's.

Darc19 wrote: »
    These cases are difficult and there's no fault on either side.

Ideally the bride and groom should have insurance.

Band probably has already done work on Playlist. Band did not cancel. But neither did the bride and groom.

I wouldn't be confident of a scc declaration for either side.

Ideal situation is a date move that the band can make and move the deposit to that date

We didn’t even know wedding insurance was a thing before all this!

They’d no work done on a playlist for us we had no contact with them other than to book the date.

Can’t move to a date that suits them as they are not available for any weekend dates next year that match with hotel.

Total pain of a situation to be honest I’d leave it off before I’d bother with the hassle of the small claims court.

Really the problem is that we when I ring them to tell them we have had to change date to next year and they can’t accommodate us, so it’s our fault not theirs.
    Hence I don’t think they’ll rush to tell me oh yea no bother here’s your deposit back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Until you actually get refused a refund there isn't actually a consumer issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement