Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rust

Options
  • 03-05-2020 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

I have a bit of rust on my frame that I'd like to address. I'll take some pics later but whats the best way of fixing?

Is there treatments you'd recommend? How hard is it to diy paint over?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭H_Lime

What bike, where on the frame, surface or deep?
    If you're not stripping her down mask everything up and hit it with a wire wheel or wire brush. If that's not possible wet and dry sand paper.
    There's many options on how to kill the rust but this is widely available ex halfrauds
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Halford+rust&client=ms-android-huawei-rev1&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiU59ay4ZfpAhUsUBUIHSMXCpgQ_AUoAnoECAsQAw&cshid=1588511227496&biw=703&bih=277&dpr=3#imgrc=E6Cki1U13IA_nM
    You can primer it and top coat in as best a match colour you can find. Some products can be sprayed on directly after killing the rust without primer have a search for "cantdecide's" post and link to Fazer rebuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Two treatments, ACF50 and XCP Rust Protection. To apply, take anything plastic off and cover electrics. Plenty YouTube videos on it.

Have a look at allyearbiker.co.uk .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Two treatments, ACF50 and XCP Rust Protection. To apply, take anything plastic off and cover electrics. Plenty YouTube videos on it.

Have a look at allyearbiker.co.uk .

Thank you agent47 (kinda funny to say that:))

Those are prevention though as I understand it? I'm afraid I have it already...

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Thank you agent47 (kinda funny to say that:))

Those are prevention though as I understand it? I'm afraid I have it already...

Yeah, once panels are off, clean it down with sand paper, primer it and then treat it with the above, then you can forget about it.

H_Lime wrote: »
    What bike, where on the frame, surface or deep?
    If you're not stripping her down mask everything up and hit it with a wire wheel or wire brush. If that's not possible wet and dry sand paper.
    There's many options on how to kill the rust but this is widely available ex halfrauds
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Halford+rust&client=ms-android-huawei-rev1&prmd=misvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiU59ay4ZfpAhUsUBUIHSMXCpgQ_AUoAnoECAsQAw&cshid=1588511227496&biw=703&bih=277&dpr=3#imgrc=E6Cki1U13IA_nM
    You can primer it and top coat in as best a match colour you can find. Some products can be sprayed on directly after killing the rust without primer have a search for "cantdecide's" post and link to Fazer rebuild.

Thanks H. Bit more than surface but not much. I hope. Versys 650. This kinda thing.

• Advertisement

Looking for can'tdecides now

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Take it back with a wire wheel brush on a drill. make sure to get all flakes off around the area and also the rust. Then spray with Rustoleum direct to rust primer. let dry per instructions and then spray 3 coats of your required black on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You would also probably want to matt or sheen laquer over it , 2 coats depending on the finish look.

Advertisement