Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run 2 devices from a 12V DC output?

Options
  • 03-05-2020 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

I have a PSU that powers a garage door opener. It has a 12V DC output that powers the remote control device for the door.

I'm now installing an ACT 10 keypad and maglock on a seperate door. Can I use the same 12V DC output for both devices instead of having to install another PSU?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You can once the supply output can handle the loading.

So yuo need to see how many amps or milliamps the devices require, and check the specs of the power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Dazzy wrote: »
    I have a PSU that powers a garage door opener. It has a 12V DC output that powers the remote control device for the door.

I'm now installing an ACT 10 keypad and maglock on a seperate door. Can I use the same 12V DC output for both devices instead of having to install another PSU?

A standalone 12v power supply for mag locks are cheap. It would be worth putting in one specifically for the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Maybe think about reliability also.
    If the single power supply box fails, you may have no access at all to your garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Auxiliary power from your garage door may be a bit on the light side for a maglock and a keypad; a mini mag/300kg pulls about 500mA@ 12VDC, an ACT 10 about 100mA.

You would be better off with a boxed 12V 2A PSU such as a Poweplex ST2000 or similar, ideally with the option to fit a backup battery. Mag locks are fail-safe, so they require a constant supply to stay locked; if they loose power your door will open, if you fit a 7ah battery, this is not so much of an issue.

Advertisement