Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consumer rights?

Options
  • 03-05-2020 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently purchased a bed for 750 euro for a house I've just moved into. As there's no deliveries right now we had to collect it and also as I don't have a van and because of the lockdown my father had to collect it and I couldn't travel with him.

The furniture store is over an hour from my home, my father collected it and brought it back.

Upon seeing it, I quickly realised it wasn't the bed advertised online, they clearly had made a cheaper version themselves. It was a far darker wood with much worse materials.

I contacted their office the following day and they said no problem to return it but I had to organised the return myself.

Surely they're liable for that as they have falsly advertised a product?

What are my rights here as I'm not asking my father to make another 2 and a half hour round trip?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

If you collected it, you return it t the place you collected it from and get a refund of what you paid. That you are an hour away and offered to collect it is neither here nor there unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi James

they offered you a full refund, that is the best case scenario here. no messing around with vouchers etc.

your trip to collect your purchase and subsequent return would not be covered by the purchase unless you have a contract or statement that addresses this, or the stores T's & C's state otherwise.

This is not a faulty goods scenario, and there is quite a big assumption on your part that the bed was "they clearly had made a cheaper version themselves. It was a far darker wood with much worse materials." there not many furniture shops that actually manufacture beds themselves. However the bed clearly did meet your expectations and they did the right thing.

If i were you i would not buy again from the shop and would try elsewhere. there is a thread on bargain alerts forum, something like high quality beds, and perhaps you might take a peek there.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

Did you buy the product online? If so, you may have additional protection with the distance selling regulations. Even if you agreed to collect the item, the purchase was at a distance, and so the regulations may well apply.

These require that you are provided with details of the returns policy including who is responsible for cost of same. They can leave the cost with you, but they must tell you. If they do not tell you this information, a distance seller is in breach of the regulations and you may have recourse.

Advertisement