Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw use under lockdown?

• 03-05-2020 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

What is the current situation regarding use of chainsaws in forestry conditions? Mainly thinning 20 year old ash and oak.
    I have avoided doing so up to now,for Health and safety reasons, not wanting to possibly using up a bed in ICU.
    I have searched the HSE site and can find no guidance.
    Would there be an insurance consequence if I were to go ahead in the absence of any specific guidelines?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Would you normally do such work in a forest on your own with a Chainsaw?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

I think the question relates more to the risk associated with chainsaw use right now. Having someone else there to raise the alarm or provide first aid or assistance is really just the first part of the equation, with the next steps possibly being an ambulance ride to an emergency room and whatever might follow.

I think it's great to see a fella giving some thought to this and considering a worst case scenario and the impact it may also have on the care providers and possible occupation of an ICU bed (the penultimate risk in a sense!), but it's also worthwhile acknowledging that some work still needs to take place. I think these are really the questions to be asking yourself: Does the work requiring a chainsaw need to be done now, or will it wait and if so, will it wait until the scenario above is no longer likely?

If it needs doing, take every sensible precaution and absolutely minimise any risks where it's at all practical. If it's firewood, let it wait. If it's a snag/hang-up, tape/rope off the area and let it wait. If it's fouling an overhead line, leave it to the utilities to deal with it. If it's an infestation, consult a forester and go from there. If a machine can take it down and you can get one in, do that instead. If it's on the ground and needs moving, can you cut it with a bush saw and so on.

For my own situation the time I'd normally spend running a chainsaw this time of year will be spent instead with a clearing saw and an old fashioned pole pruning saw. Firewood will be bought in for the winter after next if it's needed. But to each their own choices and all that. I couldn't judge a fella for taking the saw into the woods if it's needed, especially one who's taking the time to think before he acts. It'd be better if everyone who had a flesh ripper in the sheds was as sensible, wouldn't it?! ;)

OP, I don't think another ring on those trees will do much harm, would it? I'd be inclined to focus on some of the other things you could do around them instead, if I had the option. But only you know that I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interestingly, when i checked, there's an explicit exception for 'required workers' which includes manufacture of forestry equipment, but i didn't find an exception for the *use* of said equipment yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 farmerd

@Jayzeus, thank you for your thoughtful and considered reply. Yes, you have analysed the scenarios very clearly.
    I have a tending and thinning grant ,but they have given me plenty of time to do it, so I'll wait.
    I feel ok to saw up firewood in the shed, which is in 3m lengths ,and poses no great chainsaw risk.
    I had searched extensively for advice on this topic. When posting as an OP , I wasn't given the forestry thread to post on. I'm not used to boards.ie!🀕
    Thanks again -- you have cleared my mind!😎

• Registered Users Posts: 14 farmerd

@callahander , I have a lot of experience in chainsawing, and would have no bother felling small timber. I would usually have a body to watch for me.
    I was mainly concerned about possibly taking up a hospital bed in this times.
    Thank you for your answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

farmerd wrote: »
    @callahander , I have a lot of experience in chainsawing, and would have no bother felling small timber. I would usually have a body to watch for me.
    I was mainly concerned about possibly taking up a hospital bed in this times.
    Thank you for your answer.

Thank you for being responsible

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement